Can't get support from Moog

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
BuggyOne

Can't get support from Moog

Post by BuggyOne » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:11 am

Hi everybody,
owner of a $6K Moog One like many of you, here. This thing is nice but some of its parts are not working as expected, so I tried to contact Moog in hope of getting some customer support but got none so far, opened two tickets in 40 days and still got no feedback at all, this is a real shame. I can't forgive this kind of behavior from a company that claims to be one of the biggest in the field. From my point of view, this is a big weakness.

I'm here to ask advice as to how to get support from Moog. And I don't mean from the dealer or from the distributor. I want to talk to someone at Moog. Is there any hope? Or am I missing anything?

VocoVacca

Re: Can't get support from Moog

Post by VocoVacca » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:48 am

Hey, BuggyOne—
Sorry to hear that you're getting radio silence from Moog Support. Many other people on this forum have had similar experiences. Some thoughts:

First, do you think your Moog One has faulty hardware? Or could "parts are not working as expected" mean that you haven't figured something out yet? Moog One has a steep learning curve, and you'll probably get a faster response by posting your questions here than waiting for Moog Support.

If it is a hardware failure, have you tried following up the support tickets by calling the Moog support line? 828-251-0090. When a voice card failed in my Moog One in early 2019, I called after opening the ticket and got a good response. A possible back door (actually, front door) approach is to call the Moog Store at 828-239-0123. They're not set up to handle support calls, but they could maybe tell you what's going on—for example, is everything is screwed up due to the pandemic—and suggest a way to get Support's attention.

Also, is it imperative that you talk to Moog? You might get a faster—and more satisfactory—support response from the dealer where you bought your One. I’ve read about situations where a dealer (like Sweetwater) just shipped out a new Moog One and took back the faulty instrument. While I think Moog Music are fine people, the dealer might be more motivated to keep you happy.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Moog One 16, Matriarch, Mother-32, Subharmonicon, DFAM, Mavis, SubPhatty; Nord Wave 2, Nord Drum 3; ASM Hydrasynth; Teenage Engineering POM-400; Yamaha P-140 piano.

MWK

Post by MWK » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:39 pm

If Moog isn't responding to their customers, that's how you know how bad the pandemic is getting. But if your issue is really that bad, keep e-mail them about it or like others suggested (talk to the distributor). I believe critical issues will be prioritized but they won't be able to address all issues in a timely manner right now, it's a crazy time out there and they want to make sure Moog can make it through the storm.

paddy ryan

Post by paddy ryan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:29 pm

I have given up communicating with MOOG about bugs on the ONE. I never hear back.

It really is disappointing. They need to fix this problem.

Us users have no idea which bugs have been acknowledged, which are being looked at and should be fixed, which ones aren't, what features they may be considering, etc etc.

Waldorf, DSI, Yamaha, (and Schmidt!) are all very quick at responding to and fixing bugs. MOOG.....radio silence forever.

MWK

Post by MWK » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:04 pm

I just hope that their lack of communication isn't a sign of them going through possible financial/layoff troubles.

BuggyOne

Post by BuggyOne » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:19 pm

I wanted to talk to Moog directly, and not to a retailer or a distributor, because I needed to report some major firmware issues that a retailer or a distributor can't address at all. My One isn't faulty hardware-wise, it's only full of software bugs that can also be expected in such a complex product, but things can be improved if only the constructive feedback went straight to the ears of whom is in charge for the development of the firmware. Any intermediary is a huge waste of time.

To be honest, I got a reply (after 52 days!) and talked to a guy who admittedly tried to be kind and helpful, but he sounded like someone completely unaware of what I was talking about... Only his last message gave me some hope because he said he was forwarding my feedback (including a video) to the firmware developer(s).

Of course this didn't fix the issue... the One is still there, bugs included, and all I have to do is wait and hope the programmers do a good job, but at least I know that MY time wasn't wasted. Maybe.

And no, the pandemic is often taken as an excuse. There are millions or smaller companies around the world that keep doing their job in spite of the pandemic, Moog isn't an exception.

alainhubert

Post by alainhubert » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:49 pm

Moog Music is far from one of the biggest companies in the field. It's a very small company owned by the workers. And with the current situation, they're probably very restricted in how they do business. They are dedicated people, passionate about what they do. So I don't blame them for not responding as quickly as they usually did in the past.

Captain Willard

Post by Captain Willard » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:14 pm

I just purchased a 16 voice Moog One on Friday and I don't even have it yet, but this thread about Moog support is concerning.

I have a DSI OB-6 and the WRITE button was flaky and I emailed Sequential/DSI support. I had a reply the next day with questions, replied back and that same day they shipped a new momentary contact switch free of charge for me to install even though the OB-6 was well out of warranty (electronics engineer here w/ full lab at my disposal for repairs).

My point is Sequential/DSI is located in CA w/ a much more restrictive COVID lockdown than NC. I hope Moog has addressed these slow support responses that others have mentioned in this thread by now. I love my Moog gear and everything Moog and this is a statement of fact of one of my experiences and I'm in no way bad mouthing the fine people at Moog Music. I've not had any interactions with their support ever.

Carry on

dct

Post by dct » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:34 pm

alainhubert wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:49 pm Moog Music is far from one of the biggest companies in the field. It's a very small company owned by the workers. And with the current situation, they're probably very restricted in how they do business. They are dedicated people, passionate about what they do. So I don't blame them for not responding as quickly as they usually did in the past.
Sadly, I see a parallel to other companies (like Arturia) which sells well designed HW products full of SW bugs.
Like Moog: It is "normal" nowadays to rush HW products delivery with banana SW: We end users are the beta tester for the company.
I could even live with it, if... IF there would be a constant and good communication between the customers (or beta tester) and the developers, as well as a information board about already known open topics, expected resolution, in which next SW version and WHEN. This is what I am lacking here and for other products.
It is disappointing.
keys: CX-3 II, GRANDMOTHER, streichfett, ZEN DELAY

alexcrisan

Post by alexcrisan » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:01 pm

Almost end of 2021, I get no support either. These people are incredible. I guess they don’t want return customers. When I had an issue with my Dave Smith Prophet 08, they got back to me within 2 days. This is not just happening because of the pandemic. I had questions years before and still never got a response. They overcharge for the gear and provide 0 support. Moog can suck a fat one as far as I’m concerned.

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:01 pm

alexcrisan wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:01 pm Almost end of 2021, I get no support either. These people are incredible. I guess they don’t want return customers. When I had an issue with my Dave Smith Prophet 08, they got back to me within 2 days.
Sequential support is awesome. They able to turn an issue, into a positive user experience. They listen, they care, and they fix your problem. I am still waiting for Moog to answer my support requests.

MWK

Post by MWK » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:45 pm

Sorry to hear about your horrible experiences! What are you guys asking them about and how long has it been since they last responded?

I've always had a good experience with Moog's support. Every time, they've gone and done things way above my expectations. Maybe there's currently some organisation issues happening there since the pandemic. Who knows! But man, that's a bummer... People hating on Moog is a sign of bad times...

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:28 pm

Admittedly I’m totally reaching here but Moog’s near silence for better than a year smells like a change of ownership in progress. Perhaps a hiring freeze is in place with explicit direction by the potential parent company to not disclose any information that may influence the value of the company.

Like the recent acquisition of Sequential Circuits and other small companies this would have great benefit to Moog. The ability to share resources including distribution, parts, skill sets and even lawyers among similar manufacturers may allow Moog to survive in what is otherwise a near impossible business environment.

If true expect the obligatory apologetic song and dance hopefully followed by a return to a more normal Moog operation that we’ve come to expect.

MWK

Post by MWK » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:16 am

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/moog-mus ... ed-company

So the employees are selling willingly or...?

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:35 pm

MWK wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:16 am https://www.moogmusic.com/news/moog-mus ... ed-company

So the employees are selling willingly or...?
As Sargent Shultz often said…...I know nothing. But something is clearly different in the way they’re dealing with the public/customers, at least it seems that way to me. You can always Google selling an ESOP company.