How to set sequencer Gate time for Step Mod?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
vwizz

How to set sequencer Gate time for Step Mod?

Post by vwizz » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:36 pm

Hi!
I’ve been starting to use the sequencer for advanced modulations, but I miss the ability to setup the Gate time for each step, as for the notes.

For exemple, I play (manually, not using the sequencer) a lush pad with ladder filter almost closed, and over it I would like to apply a 6 steps long sequence modulating the ladder filter, with different filter values at each step.

So far I cannot make it sound as when I do that modulation sequence by hand using aftertouch, with a series of very short impulses while I play my chord.

Typically I would like each modulation step to be very short, like a very short jump on the filter value.

But instead the filter modulation is applied flat during the whole length of the step...

—> is there any way to setup a Gate duration?

Thank you!
Cheers
Vincent

vwizz

Re: How to set sequencer Gate time for Step Mod?

Post by vwizz » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:55 pm

FYI my only bypass so far is to double the number of modulation steps to introduce “0” steps in between.
But that is definitely just a poor bypass versus having the ability to adjust each steps modulation gate time.

And I have to double the master clock frequency.

For example, instead of having the 6 following ladder filter offset values at 118 bpm
+12 +12 +12 +38 +12 +12
I have to type in the 12 following values at 238bpm:
+12 0 +12 0 +12 0 +38 0 +12 0 +12 0

That vaguely starts to sound like someone adding pressure 6 times over a held chord/pad...

But keeping the initial 6 steps modulation sequence and having the ability to adjust each step’s gate time would be so much better.

Cheers!

Sugar

Re: How to set sequencer Gate time for Step Mod?

Post by Sugar » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:14 am

Don't target the filter cutoff directly. Consider step-modulating the filter envelope instead.
You could sequence e.g. the decay time and envelope amount. (You can use any of the four envelopes).