Moog One Manual Problems

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
devnull

Moog One Manual Problems

Post by devnull » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:51 pm

In the spirit of MWK's "Moog One Bugs" topic, I'm hoping this can be a place to put problems with the Moog One manual as currently found on the Moog Music Web site.

At this time Firmware 1.4 version has been out for a while and the date on the manual pdf when you down load it is 8_2_19.

devnull

Re: V1.3 Transform functions not in manual

Post by devnull » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:48 am

The "manual" for the new Functions for the MOD MATRIX Transform column were documented in the Firmware 1.3 release notes.

However, these notes are no longer online on the Moog website and the information is not in the manual. Please add the information to the Modulation section of the manual, under Transforms, on page 71 (8/2/19 manual version).

devnull

Re: Master Effects - Dual Bus Mode Panning

Post by devnull » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:21 pm

The following note is in the manual at the 8_19_20 version (F1.4) under Master Effects on Page 99:

TECHNICAL NOTE: Although PAN can be assigned as a modulation destination using the Modulation Matrix (allowing the panning of individual voices as they are played), this per-voice panning cannot be preserved in the dual mono buss feeding the Master Effects. The per-voice panning will continue to affect the Dry (unprocessed) signal, but the Wet (processed) signal will rely on the Synth pan position, as determined by the VCA MORE page settings. However, in the Stereo mode, the inputs to the Master Effects are stereo, and the per-voice panning data is preserved.

This is how the Synth Effects work, however, on Master Effects, my experience would say this should say:

TECHNICAL NOTE: Although PAN can be assigned as a modulation destination using the Modulation Matrix (allowing the panning of individual voices as they are played), this per-voice panning cannot be preserved in the dual mono buss feeding the Master Effects. The per-voice panning will continue to affect the Dry (unprocessed) signal, but the Wet (processed) signal from each synth is panned to center and merged on the input side of the effect. However, in the Stereo mode, the inputs to the Master Effects are stereo, and the per-voice panning data is preserved.

I'm calling this a manual problem rather than a synth bug, but it could be a bug. In order to be fixable, you would have to have the Mono inputs from each synth available to position to the pan position of each synth pan setting to create a stereo image on the input side of the effect. I'm suspecting that the Mono inputs from all synth are merged before they get to where they could be panned per synth image. You will have to decide whether it is a spec issue or a bug. :)

devnull

Re: Moog One Base MIDI Support

Post by devnull » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:23 pm

The manual does not talk to what MIDI Messages and CCs are supported automatically. It should. As of Firmware 1.4, the following appears to be true:

Working on both MIDI In and Out:
Note On Message with Velocity
Note Off Message with Velocity
Pitch Bend Message
After-touch Message
Mod Wheel - CC1
Touch Pad X - CC 75
Touch Pad Y - CC 76
Touch Pad Pressure - CC 77

Working on MIDI In but does not respond to MIDI Out:
Glide - CC 5
Sustain Pedal - CC 64

devnull

Modulation Matrix Appendix - Source/Controller Table Readability

Post by devnull » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:46 am

On Page 99 of the manual, Modulation Matrix Appendicies table of sources, controllers, transforms:

The lists of sources and controllers are actually identical. However, you present them in different orders so that you have to spend time trying to figure out if there are any differences - like a kids puzzle.

If you put all the ones in common at the top of the list in the same order, and (if there ever are any) ones that don't match at the bottoms of the lists, it would make it more readable.

Picky - maybe, trivial - yes, helpful - I think so. :wink:

devnull

Re: Working with Presets

Post by devnull » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:55 pm

The Moog One manual information on presets is perhaps a bit disjoint, and maybe in some cases lacking some information. I found myself having to trying to figure out how some things worked, though to be fair, maybe I was just a bit impatient with trying find some of the information in the manual. In the process of working through things, I ended up making some notes about how to use presets that seemed helpful. I think adding a “Working with Presets” section would be useful in the manual. Perhaps the content might be something like the following. I didn't try to fix indentation in this post, but * is a 1st level bullet, - is a second level bullet, and "o" is a third level bullet and the "-----' lines are there just to delineate where the top list items start and end:

-----(start of section)-----------
WORKING WITH PRESETS

There are a number of different types of presets on the Moog One. The meaning of the term Preset on a given display panel is determined by the panel it is used on. The name associated with a given preset must be unique within a given preset type. The preset types are:

-----(start of preset type list)-----
• Mod Matrix Preset
A MOD matrix preset has an associated name, an associated note that contains text describing the preset, and contains the definition of one or more modulation lines that are configurable on the MOD matrix of a synth. Each modulation line can have a source, source amount, controller, controller amount, transformation, transformation parameter, and destination. Pressing the MOD button causes the MOD matrix page to be displayed which is a list of all the modulation lines currently defined in the MOD Matrix of the currently active synth. Pressing the SAVE soft button allows the current MOD matrix to be assigned a unique name, notes, and saved as a MOD matrix preset. Pressing the LOAD soft button opens the Mod matrix preset browser which allows an existing MOD matrix preset to be selected and either loaded to replace the current Mod matrix or loaded in addition to the current MOD matrix, on all synths currently selected on the Panel Focus. The ability to add a MOD matrix preset allows for the creation of subset presets that have some known functionality that can be added as needed to the MOD matrix being developed.

-----
• Sequence Preset
A sequence preset has an associated name and contains the values for all settings that are configurable on the Sequencer of a given synth. Pressing the MORE button on the Sequencer causes the Sequencer page to be displayed for the currently active synth on the Panel Focus. Pressing the SAVE soft button allows the current settings on the Sequencer to be assigned a unique name and saved as a sequence preset. Pressing the LOAD soft button opens the sequence preset browser which allows an existing sequence preset to be selected and loaded to the Sequencer of all the synths currently selected on the Panel Focus.

-----
• Synth Effects Preset
A synth effects preset has an associated name and contains the values for all settings that are configurable on the Synth Effects of a given synth. Pressing the MORE button on the Synth Effects causes the Synth Effect page to be displayed for the currently active synth on the Panel Focus. Pressing the SAVE soft button allows the current settings of the Synth Effects for on the most recently selected Synth on the Synth Focus to be assigned a unique name and saved as a synth effects preset. Pressing the EFFECT TYPE soft button opens the synth effects preset browser which allows an existing synth effect preset to be selected and loaded to the Synth Effects of all the synths currently selected on the Panel Focus.

-----
• Master Effects Preset
A master effects preset has an associated name and contains the values for all settings that are configurable on the Master Effects. Pressing the MORE button on the Mater Effects causes the Master Effects page to be displayed. Pressing the SAVE soft button allows the current settings on the Master Effects to be assigned a unique name and saved as a master effects preset. Pressing the EFFECT TYPE soft button opens the master effects preset browser which allows an existing master effect preset to be selected and loaded to the Master Effects.

-----
• Moog One Preset
A Moog One preset has an associated name, a set of associated library tags (Type, Category, Mood, and Group), an associated note that contains text describing the preset, and all settings specific to configuring the entire Moog One for playing a predefined sound when a voice is triggered via the keyboard, the sequencer, the arpeggiator, or MIDI In controls. The preset definition includes settings for the following:
- The timber for each synth.
A timbre has an associated timbre name and the settings of all knobs and parameters associated with a synth which includes the following functions:
o LFOs,
o Oscillators
o Pitch Modulation
o Ring Modulation
o Waveform Modulation
o Frequency Modulation
o Noise
o Mixer
o Filter
o Cutoff Modulation
o Filter Envelope
o Amplifier Envelope
o Modulation Envelope
o VCA
o Output - EXCEPT: Master Volume and Headphone Volume
o Polyphony
o Chord
o Sequencer
o Arpeggiator
o Synth Effects
o Keyboard Control
- The Master Effects settings.
- The Master Clock settings.
- The settings of the Mod Wheel, Glide On, Glide,Rate, XY Pad Hold, Pad X, and Pad Y controls.
- Any SETTINGS controls that can be associated with a preset. These are possibly loaded when the preset is loaded depending on the other SETTINGS controls (e.g. SETTINGS>CV OUTPUTS>LOAD FROM PRESET can be set to ON, or OFF, and causes the associated settings for CV Outputs to be loaded, or not loaded).

The currently loaded Moog One preset page is displayed in the following cases:
- After a power on.
- If anything other than the currently loaded Moog On preset is displayed and the HOME button is pressed.
- If a MORE page is displayed and the MORE button is pressed (canceling the MORE page).
When the currently loaded Moog One preset page is displayed, pressing the SAVE button allows any of the following:
- Updating the name associated with the preset (without saving)
- Updating the notes associated with the preset (without saving)
- Updating the name of the timbre assigned to any one of the synths (without saving).
- Updating the library tags of the preset (without saving)
- Saving the current settings off the Moog One including any changes made above into the current preset.
- Saving the current settings of the Moog One including any changes made above into a new preset.
- Saving the timber of one of the synths as a new Moog One preset. The name of the selected timber determines the name of the new Moog One preset, and the selected timber’s definition is assigned to synth 1 in the new Moog One preset. The ability to save a timbre as a Moog One preset provides a convenient way of creating of a set of timbres that can be combined in layers, splits, or a mult on the Moog One, and subsequently saved as new preset. The loading of timbers is accomplished using the Moog One preset browser as described subsequently.

When the currently loaded Moog One preset page is displayed, pressing the HOME button opens the Moog One preset browser which allows any of the following actions:
- Selecting an existing Moog One preset and loading it on the Moog One, replacing the existing settings on the Moog One (without saving).
- Selecting an existing Moog One preset and loading one of the timbers of the selected preset to one of the synths. This provides easy way to layer, split, or mult timbres from different existing Mood One presets on the Moog One. Once all desired timbres are loaded, and any settings updated as needed, all settings on the Moog One can then be saved into a new Moog One preset as described previously.

NOTE: The name of the timbers in a Moog One preset do not need to be unique except in the case when a new timber is saved as a new Moog One preset such that the timbre name is used as the name of the new Moog One preset. When the same timbre name is used for the timbres of different synths of the same preset, or on timbers in a different Moog One preset, you should generally assume that the timbers have different definitions. Notes may be of assistance in maintaining information on where timbers were loaded from if this information is of future use.

NOTE: The notes associated with a Moog One preset may be longer than can be displayed on the currently loaded Moog One preset page. There is currently no direct way to scroll through the notes text in this case. To see any additional notes, from the currently loaded preset page: Press the SAVE button, then the NOTES soft button, and the full notes information is displayed. When complete, preset HOME to return to the currently loaded preset page. It may be handy to flag the last line of the notes that can be displayed on the currently loaded preset page with some indication that there is more information in the note, such as “ …” or “ More” at the end of the last line.

NOTE: When a Moog One preset is loaded, the SAVE button is not illuminated. If any settings associated with a preset are changed on the Moog One, the SAVE button will be partially illuminated to indicate that the current settings are different that the preset that is shown as currently loaded, and the changes have not been saved to a Moog One preset. If the changes are saved to the currently loaded preset, the SAVE button is again not illuminated until another change is made.

NOTE: The browsers for the various preset types will indicate which preset was last loaded to the currently loaded Moog One preset. For example:
- At a given point, the Synth Effects settings for the currently loaded preset may have last loaded from the STEREO DELAY: DEFAULT synth effect preset.
- Subsequently, the settings associated with the Synth Effects were modified, and then the current Moog One settings were save in the currently loaded Moog One preset.
- At this point, or when this preset is reloaded, browsing the Synth Effects presets with the Synth Effects preset browser will show STEREO DELAY: DEFAULT as high-lighted (the white bar to the left of the Effect Type and Effect preset). However, this does not mean that the settings in the Moog One preset for the Synth Effect are identical to the STEREO DELAY: DEFALUT preset, it just indicates that this was the last Synth Effect preset that was loaded.

NOTE: When the calibration utility is invoked via the SETTINGS>UTILITIES>OSCILLATOR CALIBRATION, the factory defined INIT patch is loaded as the current Moog One preset.

-----
• Performance Set Preset
A performance set preset has an associated number, an associated name, and contains a list of Moog One presets that are associated with the performance set. The associated number determines the order of the preset in the performance set preset list. There are eight banks (A-H) and preset numbers (1-8) for each performance set preset, allowing up to sixty-four presets to be defined in a given performance set preset. The performance set preset page can be displayed by pressing the Performance Set MORE button. The CURRENT SET soft button displays the current performance set page which allows the following actions on the current performance preset:
- Displaying the presets assigned to any bank of the current performance set preset.
- Assigning Moog One presets to the preset buttons of the currently selected bank.
- Rearranging the Moog One presets assigned to the currently selected bank.
- Scrolling forward or backward in the performance bank preset list by turning the MASTER ENCODER knob.
- Selecting the performance bank preset that is currently scrolled to by pressing the MASTER ENCODER knob.

Additional performance set presets can be created by pressing the ADD NEW soft button or by pressing the ARRANGE SETS soft button, and then selecting the “++++” preset. Creating a new performance set preset allows a name to be associated with the preset. Additionally, after creation, the performance set preset will be assigned the next available number in the performance set preset list. The order of the performance set presets in the performance set list can be changed by pressing the ARRANGE SETS soft button. The browser for the performance set presets is opened by pressing the BROWSE SETS soft button. Selecting a performance set preset in the browser causes the selected preset to become the current performance set preset. MIDI OUT controls are available to manage the selection of the currently active performance set.

-----(end of preset type list)

All preset types are included in the definition of a User Space. The user space, a preset type, specific presets of a given type can be imported or exported by presetting SETTINGS button, pressing the LIBRARY soft button, and selecting the IMPORT or EXPORT library category, and then selecting USER SPACE or a particular preset type. The IMPORT and EXPORT functions access a USB memory stick plugged into the USB port of the Moog One. Export is the mechanism to copy user spaces or presets between Moog Ones or to a computer-based backup repository. Import is the mechanism to install user spaces or presets from another Moog One or a computer-based backup repository. Presets obtained from Moog Music or other third party Mood One preset vendors are typically downloaded to a computer and then copied to a USB memory stick so that they can be subsequently imported on a Moog One.

Refer to the sections on the MOD Matrix, Sequencer, Synth Effects, Master Effects, Browser (Moog One presets), and Performance Set for additional information on managing presets.

--------(end of section)---------
Last edited by devnull on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vwizz

Re: Moog One Manual Problems

Post by vwizz » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:34 pm

Hi devnull!
I haven’t read all your post but as I went through it quickly I saw a point with which I disagree: you say that output settings are not saved with presets.
This is only valid for master volume and headphones volume.
The output matrix is saved with each preset.

Typically I use it for my outboard fx since some require low volume outputs from the inserts.
Btw there is an annoying bug that has never been corrected there: say one of my presets is saved with Insert 1 ON for Synth 1, with a volume of -16dB
If I turn off my Moog One and then turn it on again, with this precise preset active at the start, this Insert Volume is not taken into account which results in super high volume into my pedal (eg my analog chorus) that will saturate because it will not have its -16dB

Then , if I load another preset and come back to this one, then it’s fine and the Insert volume=-16dB is taken into account...

Since I always have an analog chorus plugged on my Insert 1, and that I use it in many presets, I always have to pay attention when I turn on the synth, and reload the preset before I start playing. Otherwise it destroys my ears and the poor pedal :)

Cheers!

devnull

Post by devnull » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:03 pm

vwizz wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:34 pm I saw a point with which I disagree: you say that output settings are not saved with presets.
This is only valid for master volume and headphones volume.
The output matrix is saved with each preset.
I concur with your correction on the output info - my bad. I have updated the post with that info to reflect this correction.
Thanks!

On the power up problem you describe - I might suggest you do what I describe below - open up a new topic for just that one bug in this forum (since it's not a manual problem). Thanks for that Info though - I've started my own errata document and will add that to it.

FYI - I've taking to opening one topic per bug on the Moog One forum. I don't know whether Moog folks like this or not - I'll probably call them sometime soon to see if that are at least aware they are here. I've sent emails in the past without getting a response. I've called them on some problems but not sure if they captured all the information I was trying to convey. I noticed MWK's post on Moog One Bugs which seems to have gone dormant - and the problem I think I have with it is that it is hard separate discussion about one Bug from new bugs. This "manual" topic has the same issue since it is multiple posts about the manual. But my other "bug" topics are one bug per topic - at least all the discussion (if any) is then related to that particular problem. I worry Moog may be a bit overwhelmed with the pandemic situation so I felt putting bug information in this forum lets them get to it when they can, and allows others to see if there's something that I found that they care about.

devnull

Re: Browser Screen Soft Controls labels have changed

Post by devnull » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:12 pm

Preset Save Screen:
  • Manual p120: / Names / Notes / Save Preset / Save Preset As /
  • V1.4: ................. / Names / Notes / Overwrite Preset / Save New Preset /
Timbre Save Screen:
  • Manual p121: / Names / Notes / Save Preset / Save Timbre # /
  • V1.4:................. / Names / Notes / / Save New Timber # /
Settings Screen:
  • Manual p124: / Global / Library / Tuning / Back /
  • V1.4:................... / Global / Library / Tuning / /

strytten

Post by strytten » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:49 pm

As a new Moog One owner, this thread was extremely helpful. Thanks to all, especially devnull!!

Has the manual been updated since these postings? Or has anyone compiled their own manual document that includes points from these postings?
Moog One 16, OB-X8, Prophet 10 Rev4, Osmose, Trigon 6 D, OB-6 D, Kawai VPC-1, Rhodes Mk8 FX, Steinway D, Mac-based Protools w/Carbon.