Presets with no sound

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
APlondon

Presets with no sound

Post by APlondon » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi,
I’ve just bought an 8 voice One and am very impressed so far.
I’ve updated the firmware to the latest 1.4.0. (I believe the retailer must have had this unsold for a while as the build date is May 2019 (which is probably why I got a good price!)
On working my way through the presets to familiarise myself with the synth, I’ve noticed certain patches have no sound. For example ‘Future Sick’ and ‘Very Bass’. Has anyone else noticed this or am I missing something obvious?
Thanks for your help!

noisebit

Re: Presets with no sound

Post by noisebit » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 am

Hi,

1.4.0 includes the factory presets and more - I think, that some presets had to be adjusted.
Did you reload them from the actual firmware?

You can try it in a new "user space".

I had the same issue in a few "very old" presets.
Maybe some old parameter values are in newer firmware "out of range" and have to be corrected.

Hope, that can help you.

Regards.
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

APlondon

Post by APlondon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:35 am

Thanks for your reply. I’m still learning my way around the machine. I updated the firmware - downloaded from the Moog site and then uploaded to machine via USB stick. How can I reload them from the actual firmware?

What I’ve noticed is that for some presets (like ‘Steel Piano’ , ‘Very Bass’ example) I cannot load the individual timbre that is listed directly into one of the synth engines. It’s almost as if it is missing. The timbres without any names load with what sounds like the ‘INIT’ waveform.

However for other presets with the same problem (S&H pad) no timbres load at all, but other presets (Future Sick) some timbres make sounds when loaded individually to a synth engine but others don’t.

Ive opened a ticket with Moog but have had no response!

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:01 pm

If you want to create a new USER SPACE with factory presets you can do
as follow:

Press the settings button.
On top press the LIBRARY-button.
Press EDIT USER SPACE.
Press +++
Name the new space e.g. FACTORY1.4.0
On top press the button CREATE FACTORY

It takes a few moments and the MO creates a new USER SPACE named
FACTORY1.4.0 with all new factory presets included.

Also the preset packs CLASSICS, KING, STEREO FUTURES and TRANSFORMERS are now included, too.

You can switch to this new user space bit you press the settings button again
and press the big knob for SWITCH USER SPACE. Select your choice.
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:13 pm

About the preset VERY BASS:

I could reproduce the issue, there is no sound.

Switch Sequencer to OFF and Synth Effect to OFF.

Now you can hear the sound.

The stored effect is CHORUS.
Press e.g. CRYSTAL CHORUS and switch the effect to ON.

I think, there was no routing to VCA in the stored preset. A bug ?

APlondon

Post by APlondon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:10 am

Thank you! I heard from Moog (via Source distribution) and they confirmed the problem is due to some patches being effected by the firmware update.

“After some further digging, in those presets, it turns out that the Synth Effects parameter "GAIN" is set to zero.

You can turn off the synth effect to instantly hear sound, or you can go into the synth effects settings and turn up the GAIN parameter (to taste) to hear the sound as originally intended.”