FM waveform

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Sugar

FM waveform

Post by Sugar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:14 pm

Does anybody know if the restriction on the FM knobs to only use the sawtooth/triangle output of an oscillator is hardwired in MO? I would love to be able to use the square wave for harsher modulation.

E.g. a filter cutoff FM'ed with a square wave sounds much more aggressive.

Yes, I can use a square LFO instead (in audio range, with key tracking), but the dedicated FM knobs are just so easy to use.

smv

Re: FM waveform

Post by smv » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:17 am

I agree with you and in the "more " page of the filters , i can only find the 3 oscillators as fm sources for the filters . There is no fm with noise for instance . Or i am missing something ?

smv

Post by smv » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 am

i want to say it better... there is no possibility to modulate the filter with the noise

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:52 pm

smv wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 am i want to say it better... there is no possibility to modulate the filter with the noise
a workaround for you would be using a high-speed random LFO as modulator.
To further increase the speed of an LFO by in the MOD Matrix by:
Source:CONSTANT +300 Destination:LFO RATE (SEMITONES)

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:54 pm

There are two different noise sources that you can use to modulate the filters (and oscillators and other destinations).
In the mod matrix, Random and Random Bipolar are both noise sources.
You can use Transforms like Slew or High or Low EQ to color the noise (or turn it into a random CV) as desired.

All four LFOs have a noise source. Select the Sample/Hold and turn the Variation all the way to the right; this exposes the noise source used by the Sample/Hold.
You can use the fade in/out as a simple envelope if desired. You can also use the Transform trick here as well. You can even mix multiple sources together to get unusual effects.

Happy Noisin'!
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com