MOOG ONE - weird Program Change while playing and recording

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
PatMz

MOOG ONE - weird Program Change while playing and recording

Post by PatMz » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:31 am

Hello,
I am new to this forum and happy(?) owner of a MOOG ONE 8 in France since a few weeks. I have installed 1.4 OS.
My setup: MOOG ONE firmware 1.4.0, Windows 10 Dell Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134, Reaper DAW 6.13 64 bits

Let me share this strange thing: the behavior of my ONE has been strange since the first day I have tried to use its MIDI via DIN or USB.
- Direct MOOG USB to WIndows 10 PC: I first tried to use the USB interface, but could not record. When I played a simple MIDI track to the ONE (just simple MIDI notes, nothing else), there were some strange changes in the ONE patch: like effects were added as the track played, parameters changes. I blamed the USB driver and went for simpler solution.
- simple MIDI/USB interface on Windows 10: I used another solution, a simple EMUx11 MIDI / USB cable. Strangely enough, the ONE MIDI OUT and this EMU XMidi 1x1 did not seem to be compatible. OK... I invested in a MIDI hub (M8U eX)I just received today
- M8U ex: I manage to record on Reaper, a simple track. However, when I play back this track, the patch changed a few times on ONE without having done anything special! I inspected the track and found out that MIDI PROGRAM CHANGES had been recorded in the track, plus a multitude of pressure change messages (even if I did not touch anything on the synth, not the X/Y, no aftertouch!!!)

This is so annoying ans super weird. Anyone ever saw that?

Thanks for anyone's feedback, help or comments!

Pat

PatMz

Re: MOOG ONE - weird Program Change while playing and recording

Post by PatMz » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:07 am

Answering my own post...

MOOG support was very nice trying to help me with the issue. We first thought my ONE needed service, but after having investigated, there appears to be a compatibility problem between MOOG ONE and the MIDI hub and MIDI to USB interfaces I used.

To solve this, I used a MIDI signal buffer that does the job. A simple MIDI IN / MIDI thru on another synth (eg Roland for instance), or a MIDI buffer I made: the ONE MIDI OUT goes through a photocoupler, then gets buffered through 2 NAND gates (74LS00), a few resistors, diodes for signal levels and protection, then to MIDI OUT.

If anyone is interested, I can send the schematics.