Mod routing question

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
4dubs

Mod routing question

Post by 4dubs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:42 pm

Greeting folks.

I'm trying to do something seemingly simple . . . just want to have aftertouch controlling the amount of LFO 4 being sent to the frequency/pitch of all oscillators. Somehow, that doesn't look to be an option in the mod matrix, unless I'm just being dumb . . . which is certainly possible. If I choose LFO 4 as the source and aftertouch as the controller, the best I can do is select a destination of "all OSC's / pitch LFO 1 mod" as a destination . . . which is not what I want. If I simply use aftertouch as a source with the intention of sending it to LFO 4 level, this does not appear to be an option.

What am I doing wrong? Or do I just need to to set up 3 identical modulation lanes in the matrix with LFO 4 controlling each oscillator's frequency independently and controlled by aftertouch? That seems more convoluted than it should be. This is something I do regularly with synths (Mod wheel controlling triangle wave pitch vibrato for all OSC's and aftertouch using a different LFO for square wave pitch trills controlled by aftertouch).

Thanks!
Moog: Model D, Voyager, Sub 37, ONE 8V, Minifooger Delay (x2)/DSI: Prophet 6, Pro 2, Prophet REV2 16V/Nord Stage 2 SW73/Studiologic Sledge 2.0 Black/Waldorf Iridium desktop/Arturia Matrixbrute/Behringer Mono/Poly, 2600/Mellotron Micro/Modal Cobalt 8x

jaybee

Re: Mod routing question

Post by jaybee » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:58 am

4dubs wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:42 pm the best I can do is select a destination of "all OSC's / pitch LFO 1 mod" as a destination
What about selecting ALL OSCS > "PITCH EG MOD" as the destination, just tried it with INIT patch - the harder I "aftertouch" - the deeper the modulation.

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:56 pm

The easiest way to modulate the pitch of all three oscillators is to use LFO1, not LFO4. This is why we have a dedicated "PITCH MODULATION/LFO 1 AMT" knob. Then use Aftertouch (AT) as Source and "All OSC's / pitch LFO 1 mod" as Destination.

S: AT; D: All OSC's/PITCH LFO 1 MOD

if for some reason you prefer to use LFO4,
you will have to set up a dedicated modulation path for each oscillator.

S: LFO4; M: AT; D: OSC1/FREQUENCY
S: LFO4; M: AT; D: OSC2/FREQUENCY
S: LFO4; M: AT; D: OSC3/FREQUENCY

The second option is more complicated, but it will let you control each oscillator with a different amount of modulation.

4dubs

Post by 4dubs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I figured I'd have to set up 3 modulation lanes.
Moog: Model D, Voyager, Sub 37, ONE 8V, Minifooger Delay (x2)/DSI: Prophet 6, Pro 2, Prophet REV2 16V/Nord Stage 2 SW73/Studiologic Sledge 2.0 Black/Waldorf Iridium desktop/Arturia Matrixbrute/Behringer Mono/Poly, 2600/Mellotron Micro/Modal Cobalt 8x