Inserts1-4 audio routing

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
scd

Inserts1-4 audio routing

Post by scd » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Trying to understand this. Maybe someone can correct me on the wrongs here?

Without using the the hardware Send/Returns on the back the audio path is:
1. VCOs->Mixer->Filters->VCA module-> Master OUTPUT module (that last one being another VCA in essence?)

2. The Synth FX is a send/return FX between the Filters output and the VCA module.

3. The first MIX parameter on each Synth FX is a dry/wet control, where dry means audio going unconverted as in 1. And wet is the part of the signal that goes into AD conversion -> Synth FX -> D/A conversion back into the VCA module.

4. The Master FX is also a send/return FX but now between the VCA output and the Master OUTPUT module.

5. Again, the first MIX parameter on each Master FX is a dry/wet control, where dry means audio going uncovered as in 1. And wet is the part of the signal that goes into AD conversion -> Master FX -> D/A conversion back into the Master OUTPUT module.

6. Now the Send/Returns on the back. I assume that the Send audio is tapped between the filter module and the VCA module (because the VCA Level knob does not influence the level of the signal, so it must be taken before the VCA is my reasoning).

7. The Return audio signal can go to two points:
A: it is inserted between the VCA and Master Output module, but only if the Synth FX is turned off.
B: it is inserted between the filter output and the Synth FX, but only if the Synth FX is turned on.
I am not sure about this, but I reason this because the VCA level knob is not functioning in situation A but it *is* functioning in situation B.

I even suspect that in situation 7B the audio is directly going through the AD because the VCA Level knob sounds stepped when turning and the VCA panning knob is still not working when Synth FX Mix is set to 0%.

Edit: when using just the audio from the Send/Return and then turning on a Stereo Synth FX will leave the audio mono. While doing the same not using insert1 on the output MORE page but MAINL/R for the audio, makes it stereo. Something funny is going on...
Any correction/thoughs on this would be appreciated.

On a side note: I *love* the One. It can sound like a Moog, like a Buchla, like a *Mellotron*, like an Oberheim. And that is even without using the Send/Returns. :)

The FXs are *bad*. As far as I am concerned they could have left those out.

till

Re: Inserts1-4 audio routing

Post by till » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:29 am

scd wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:19 pm...
2. The Synth FX is a send/return FX between the Filters output and the VCA module.
The FX sends are all past the first VCA, Without an VCA first, all voices would send at the same time with the same static level, with or without actually a key played.
The FXs are *bad*. As far as I am concerned they could have left those out.
Yes. The FXs don't match the price tag and the quality of the synth engine.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

scd

Re: Inserts1-4 audio routing

Post by scd » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:48 am

till wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:29 am
scd wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:19 pm...
The FX sends are all past the first VCA, Without an VCA first, all voices would send at the same time with the same static level, with or without actually a key played.

If that is true how can the level and pan knob not be working for the send/return sound?