v1.4: Oscillator Compensation Calibration

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
till

v1.4: Oscillator Compensation Calibration

Post by till » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:29 am

Hi,

I just installed the new firmware 1.4.0 and did the Oscillator Compensation Calibration after a 45 min warming-up (the Moog One is actually checking the running time since the last reboot for this). And now my Moog One is in tune in the bass range. No more voices being flat by -12 musical cent. Now it is still analog like, but not as dead perfect as a digital VA synth.

Playing the Moog One is now way more fun to me. Thank you, Moog!
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

noisebit

Re: v1.4: Oscillator Compensation Calibration

Post by noisebit » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks for the information. This is a really good news. So I will update my MO16 at the weekend :D
Best regards.
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:03 am

Well, 1.4 broke many of my patches. They sound not the same anymore, big time. I contacted Moog, but they didn't answer my email. I suspect the filter velocity settings to have changed (maybe a former bug related to that section has been now fixed, with as a result drastically changing the sound of patches that were build around the bug). It would have been nice to hear back from Moog, especially for a synth that costs that much.

till

Post by till » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:21 am

audiosampling wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:03 am Well, 1.4 broke many of my patches. ...
No such problems here. Only the tuning is way better in the bass. So I used a bit of PITCH VARIANCE on a few patches where wide detuning sounded better. But I enjoy the other sounds here more well tuned.

But I do notice a bit of glide into the right pitch when playing a bass note with a very short VCA envelope attack time. Maybe they will fix this later. But anyway, it is now playable in the whole range here.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:01 am

audiosampling wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:03 am Well, 1.4 broke many of my patches. They sound not the same anymore, big time....
I confirm, so yesterday I decided turning back to the prior firmware version.
In fact, 1.4 is more stable in the lower tunes, but sounds too much different in many of my created sounds (bass sounds).

Turning off the OCC has no effect, I cannot hear any difference.

So I started programming the sound in justifying some parameters and I found
this odd in the Oscillator section:

Try:
- Init a patch
- Turn Oscillator wave angle / mix so you see a big rectangle on the display
- Turn the knob PULSE WIDTH full to the left and listen the sound
- Then turn the knob full to the right and listen to the sound.

I hear only a silent and tiny crackling sound.

Is it normal?

I can't remember this behaviour in prior firmware versions, but I
got this effect in 1.4.0 and also in 1.3.1
Best Regards.
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

chefmenteur

Post by chefmenteur » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:49 pm

noisebit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:01 am Try:
- Init a patch
- Turn Oscillator wave angle / mix so you see a big rectangle on the display
- Turn the knob PULSE WIDTH full to the left and listen the sound
- Then turn the knob full to the right and listen to the sound.

I hear only a silent and tiny crackling sound.

Is it normal?
Yes, a square wave with 100% or 0% duty doesn't oscillate so there's practically no sound at the extremes.

chefmenteur

Post by chefmenteur » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:54 pm

till wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:21 amNo such problems here. Only the tuning is way better in the bass. So I used a bit of PITCH VARIANCE on a few patches where wide detuning sounded better. But I enjoy the other sounds here more well tuned.
A user on FB had this alternate approach which I've been using and I like the way it sounds a lot. Set this up as a mod matrix, you can then save it and import it into any patch you want to sound more drifty. (I then added rows for osc 2 and 3 using Random Keyed 2 and 3):

Source: Random Keyed #1 = 0.15%
Controller: Random Bipolar = 70%
Transform: Slew = 40%
Destination: Osc #1 Frequency

bluezy65

Post by bluezy65 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:29 pm

Hello everyone, the tuning of my ONE 16v with firmware 1.3.1 was OK before updating.
Did the 1.4.0 update and after more than 45m i started the occ, it took a long while.
The tuning was not so different afterwards except with occ enabled 1 oscillator is always out of tune when repeatedly playing one note or when that oscillator is in a chord.
Strange, it is like when taking so long to calibrate; the last oscillator has cooled down to much and the occ tuned it wrong.
Disabling occ the tuning is OK, so i leave it off.
At this time it is useless for my ONE 16v.

jdkJake

Post by jdkJake » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:02 pm

bluezy65 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:29 pm Hello everyone, the tuning of my ONE 16v with firmware 1.3.1 was OK before updating.
Did the 1.4.0 update and after more than 45m i started the occ, it took a long while.
The tuning was not so different afterwards except with occ enabled 1 oscillator is always out of tune when repeatedly playing one note or when that oscillator is in a chord.
Strange, it is like when taking so long to calibrate; the last oscillator has cooled down to much and the occ tuned it wrong.
Disabling occ the tuning is OK, so i leave it off.
At this time it is useless for my ONE 16v.
You can run the process as many times as you want. I would try it again and see if you get a different result.
—jk—