Hanging Note / Stuck Note

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
slufter87

Hanging Note / Stuck Note

Post by slufter87 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:43 am

Hi all!

Moog One 8 Voice.
Firmware 1.3.0

I have an issue with hanging notes / stuck notes.
I cannot reliably reproduce this, but it happens once every 30/45 minutes of play or so. This is quite a bit.
The only way to kill the hanging note is to hit do a MIDI panic by hitting both Octave Up and Octave Down buttons.

While I'm playing the keyboard, one note will suddenly act as though a sustain pedal has been activated. This happens to one single note. You can retrigger the note, and the envelope will work as normal except that it has a 100% Release, and the note lingers. Really noticeable and will completely ruin a performance.

Any ideas on what this could be? Any fixes?

- - - - - - - - -

SIDE NOTE (Do I keep or return the One?):

Today is my last day if I want to return the Moog One to Sweetwater. I am SO close to returning this synth. I LOVE the sound, and the design is amazing. But all of the bugs I'm experiencing (yes there are a lot more) and unstable tuning is driving me nuts.

Keeping the synth means I have faith that these issues will be resolved with firmware updates. I want to have that faith, but it's a big gamble with the price tag and time frame. I can't reliable use this synth live AT ALL. No way would I risk having dropped voices, hanging notes, OS crash and restart (happened twice now), etc. It can be a hassle recording too having to redo performances due to the bugs. But when I sit down and explore this thing... I get totally lost, make and save tons of beautiful presets, and when it works, it tracks really well. I'm really on the fence about this!

Any advice on this is appreciated! Thank you!

till

Re: Hanging Note / Stuck Note

Post by till » Fri May 29, 2020 6:10 pm

No hanging notes here for months.
Do you have MIDI connections connected when this happens?
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Sun May 31, 2020 1:04 pm

[/quote]Do you have MIDI connections connected when this happens?[/quote]

That’s what I’d check too. Whenever I’ve had a stuck note it’s always been DAW issue.

slufter87

Post by slufter87 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:44 am

till wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:10 pm No hanging notes here for months.
Do you have MIDI connections connected when this happens?
Hi! Thanks for the response!
No MIDI connections of any sort. I get hanging notes almost every time I use the Moog One, and there are no input connections whatsoever - only a pair of headphones or 1/4" cables out to my mixer/recording gear.

I just recorded an example of the hanging note happening so you can hear what it sounds like. Again, no inputs (no MIDI, no sustain pedals, nothing. Just audio out to my interface). After 10 minutes of playing the keyboard, I got a hanging note. I have not noticed if it is the same voice that hangs each time, but the hanging notes can be different keys on the keyboard, this time it was a D#, but other times it has been an A, for example.

Listen here if you're curious: https://soundcloud.com/slufter/moog-one ... llykM0X52u

Thanks for reading and helping!
(Oh, and as you may have guessed, I didn't return it!)

tokenrecluse

Post by tokenrecluse » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:32 pm

I have hanging note issues as well though it tends to only occur for me when I play while a sequencer is running and if that running synth is in unison mode. So if I've got two synths active and synth one is in unison mode playing back a sequence and I'm playing on top of it... blamo, a random note on synth 1 will get stuck. Sometimes the MIDI panic feature will work, sometimes it does not and I have to reload the patch. I agree though, given the level of bugs, I could never perform on this in a live setting.. which was a big part of why I picked this synth up. I'm like you, I deeply adore this synth, easily my favorite synth I've ever owned.... but I just had it suddenly restart when I pressed the synth 1, 2 & 3 buttons at the same time to start all sequences in sync. wtf?!?! such a bummer

TubeAmpNut

Post by TubeAmpNut » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:43 pm

I can't reproduce the hanging note scenario. Tried 6 voice unison sequenced on synth 1, 4 note chords sequenced on synth 2 and mashing all the keys I could nonsensically on synth 3. Started and stopped the sequencer on different synth channels, with no note hangs.

Perhaps one of the synths had the hold button on? Also maybe try reinstalling the firmware? Has worked for me on other devices when I had issues.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:08 pm

Other people have recommended creating a new user space, transferring any needed presets there via USB stick, and working exclusively from this new user space. Certainly worth a try, along with reinstalling the current firmware.

FWIW, I’ve had no crashes at all for several years since doing this.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com