Fine-tuning OSC Frequency

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Sugar

Fine-tuning OSC Frequency

Post by Sugar » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:16 pm

I wish ONE had finer control of OSC FREQUENCY from -0.50 to 0.50. This range is very useful for logarithmic detuning/beating of oscillators. I'd love as much control as BEAT FREQ has for linear detuning.

synthguy

Re: Fine-tuning OSC Frequency

Post by synthguy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:08 pm

The last modulation source in the list is named CONSTANT.
Think of it as a steady voltage source, and you can assign it to any of the internal destinations, like the individual oscillators or filter cutoffs using either positive or negative modulation to move things in the direction you want. With the fine tune enabled (press the SHIFT button near the large encoder) the resolution is greatly increased, making it very useful for easy fine tuning of oscillators and the like.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

Sugar

Re: Fine-tuning OSC Frequency

Post by Sugar » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks for the tip.
It sounds like a complicated workaround for something very basic in an analog synth - tuning a beating speed.

The lack of definition in the close-to-zero range is also a problem when dialing modulation of the frequency. Yes, it can be fine-tuned inside the mod matrix, but why is it so difficult?

I have both MO and The River. Both are different, but I wish MO had as much definition in the fine-tuning range as The River. I just don't see a technical reason, why the first 1% of the knob range couldn't be scaled to provide greater control.
Other people on the forum complained about how hard it is to dial a zero. I think this is a part of the same problem. The scale of the knobs is too linear.