Moog Sub 37 Presets Converted to Moog One

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
MWK

Moog Sub 37 Presets Converted to Moog One

Post by MWK » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Would it be possible to have the Moog One automatically convert Moog Sub 37 presets?

'Basically', create an app that takes the preset data from the Sub 37 and finds suitable parameters within the Moog One then creates a Moog One-ready preset. It should theoretically be possible but perhaps overly complex. I ended up selling my Sub 37 and now I'm trying to create the presets but I don't have any way to 'read' the presets and port them.

It's worth a try.

till

Re: Moog Sub 37 Presets Converted to Moog One

Post by till » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:54 am

As the parameter min and max are not the same and the values are not all linear over the parameter range, this is not an easy task to do automatically. And after all, there are also some parameters like distortion/overdrive of the filter not available on the Moog One.
Better have the two synth side by side and try to do it manually. And in the end, no matter what you try, it will not always sound 100% alike du to different sound character. And this is why we got several different synths at home, because they have a different character sound wise.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

MWK

Post by MWK » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:54 am

Well luckily I'm still able to boot up the Sub 37 Editor so I can view all my presets / settings in the app. If anyone's in the same position as me (sold your Sub 37), hopefully you saved your presets and still have the editor. I'm getting pretty close to the original sounds I was making with the Sub 37 with some exceptions with Multidrive but also mod destinations like OSC Octave.

I wonder if they'll be able to add more Mod Destinations to the Moog One, I noticed a few a non-operational (invalid) at the moment.

Otto Dix

Post by Otto Dix » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:04 pm

Even if I put the One on Mono, limit to only 3 voices then duplicate / match values from Sub 37 Editor, I don't have the same sound at all.

Moog One oscillators tone sound very different from Sub 37.
Memorymoog, Moog One 16, Voyager RME, Sub 37, DFAM, Minitaur, Moogerfoogers, Expressive E Osmose

eltobosolo

Post by eltobosolo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:07 am

I agree with Otto, I kept my Sub 37 and I'm glad I did because the voicing seems to be quite different. Plus the multidrive and feedback are not available on the One, unless I'm missing something down in the menus.

MWK

Post by MWK » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:45 pm

I think the reason they didn't include Multidrive is because I think you can drive it with the dual filters and volumes alone. Sure, it's not the same, but the Moog One can definitely overdrive the sound if you crank the resonance on the SVF and run it in series with the Ladder filter.

Some things to keep in mind. But yeah, it's definitely a different sound.