Responding to MIDI CCs

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
TabbyCatte

Responding to MIDI CCs

Post by TabbyCatte » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:19 pm

I've started working with MIDI, and notice something strange.

If I record turning a knob, e.g. SVF Filter Cutoff, it records CC58 into my sequencer. This is with the default state of the Moog One - no custom CC maps or anything.

On playback, my sequencer sends it back, but the Moog doesn't respond to the CC. If I deliberately re-learn that CC (i.e. create a MIDI Map for it), it then starts responding.

This seems weird - if it sends certain front panel controls out of the box, shouldn't it also respond to those? Do I really need to manually create a new mapping for every control?

Any ideas?

TabbyCatte

Re: Responding to MIDI CCs

Post by TabbyCatte » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Here's an oh-so-polite bump before the weekend, when I'll get those precious few hours to play with my beloved instrument :)

Trying to find out if the One's front panel controls should respond to CCs, without having to explicitly create a mapping. Currently they are sending, but not responding to those same CCs (unless I create a mapping for them).

Anyone else experience this with MIDI, or did the hardwired CCs work out of the box?

TabbyCatte

Post by TabbyCatte » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:42 pm

OK - I spent some more time with it, and the problem is clearly that the MIDI spec is not properly sussed out. Case in point: I move the Synth Effect Send 1 knob, and it sends CC72 to my sequencer. I then try to select the Synth Effect Send 1 knob as a destination in the Learn window, and it says "Unsupported Parameter for CC Control." So quite literally, there are knobs that send data by default but can't receive it (!).

I don't see anything about this in the manual or online - I guess we're waiting for further MIDI implementation. Weird.

mildwest

Post by mildwest » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:26 pm

Do you have the latest firmware and the new midi documentation. This is all added in the latest version and there are videos online from Moog showing how it all works. Essentially you create midi maps. 1.1.0 is the latest version.

TabbyCatte

Post by TabbyCatte » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:52 am

Yeah I'm on v1.1.0 and have read the docs. As mentioned, there are destinations that are not selectable in the MIDI Mapping dialog, even though they are sending hardwired CC data. This is what I find weird. That hardwired CC data has existed for several OS versions, and my understanding was that v1.1.0 would make the controls also receive that same data.