do the Moog One knob values "jump" when you move them, after loading a patch?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
ummagumma

do the Moog One knob values "jump" when you move them, after loading a patch?

Post by ummagumma » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Curious about this: I was impressed when Moog updated the Minitaur firmware to allow a choice of snapping, or gradually adopting to the new value, if you move a pot after loading a patch

this happens when the saved value is different than what the pot is currently set to...

Does the One do this? or did they include that feature?

( I wish they would update the Voyager firmware to allow this option!! )

thanks!

Iaamusic

Re: do the Moog One knob values "jump" when you move them, after loading a patch?

Post by Iaamusic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:17 am

Yes it’s a function in the settings menu.

From manual:

ABSOLUTE
In this mode, the parameter value will immediately jump to match the current position of the hardware knob.
PASS THROUGH
In this mode, the parameter value will remain unchanged as the knob is turned, until the knob position matches the current value. So, in this case, the knob must pass through the current setting before it becomes active. From then on, the knob will function normally.
RELATIVE
In this mode, the value range is scaled so that the current value is matched to the actual knob position, and the remaining knob range equals the distance from the saved value to the minimum or maximum extreme. The minimum and maximum values remain the same, and once the knob has been turned to the end of its physical range, it will function normally

Cheers

ummagumma

Re: do the Moog One knob values "jump" when you move them, after loading a patch?

Post by ummagumma » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:38 am

yes, that is exactly what I am talking about;

glad they implemented it right out of the gate, on the One!

thanks!

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:56 am

Since we're talking about it here does anyone actually use Pass Thru mode? It's a coin toss which way you initially turn the pot, easy to overshoot and even difficult at times to find the programmed value. I have it on the Poly Evolver and never use it. Am I missing something as far as it's usefulness? This isn't a criticism of Moog including it, just curious.

till

Post by till » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:58 pm

All three modes have their week points.

The PASS THROUGH will first do nothing and then suddenly there is a change. So changing it live with a sound parameter you don't know where it is set at the playing sound, you don't know when the change will actually start to take place when you move the pot slowly.

The ABSOLUTE will most likely jump somewhere where you would not like to have a jump. So this is only usable when used in between a note for the first time you touch this knob. And when you know where to set it, without hearing the sound.

And RELATIVE does work fine, unless the stored value is near the CCW or CW endpoint of the knob and you try to edit a parameter that is stored near to the other end of the pot travel. So the whole range might be within a tiny pot turn movement. And this is for sure not the thing you like to have on stage.

This is why I personally prefer endless encoders. So editing is always starting smooth.

It would be helpful on the One to see the current pot value and the stored value when touching a pot. Just like on the Voyager.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Good point Till. I guess in the home studio I just want my pots to respond immediately despite the jump. I know others who swear by endless encoders for the same reason you mention; I just prefer pots and the visual position advantage. Also I use CV expression pedals with at least 1 and often 2 parameters on every patch which I believe would negate the advantage of their corresponding endless encoders.

Of course it depends on how the CV inputs are implemented.

MC

Post by MC » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:27 pm

On all my hybrid synths (Voyager RME, Andromeda, Minitaur), I have to set them to pass thru when I gig with high volume PA. The vibrations from the PA can actually cause the wipers on the pots to move and the instrument will go into "self edit" thinking that the user moved a pot.

I don't remember ever having this problem with my Memorymoog...
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:46 am

I do like the feature of being able to see the stored value as you edit. On my DSI P6 a little red indicator lights at the preset stored value. It’s workmanlike considering no screen, so I imagine the One could do better if implemented!

Markyboard

Post by Markyboard » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:03 am

MC wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:27 pm On all my hybrid synths (Voyager RME, Andromeda, Minitaur), I have to set them to pass thru when I gig with high volume PA. The vibrations from the PA can actually cause the wipers on the pots to move and the instrument will go into "self edit" thinking that the user moved a pot.

Yikes! You might want to set the rate knob on your pacemaker to pass through as well.
:lol:

Edit: Also interesting that the Voyager RME version has this feature as opposed to the keyed version :?:

MC

Post by MC » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:47 pm

Markyboard wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:03 am
MC wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:27 pm On all my hybrid synths (Voyager RME, Andromeda, Minitaur), I have to set them to pass thru when I gig with high volume PA. The vibrations from the PA can actually cause the wipers on the pots to move and the instrument will go into "self edit" thinking that the user moved a pot.

Yikes! You might want to set the rate knob on your pacemaker to pass through as well.
:lol:
OhYeahTh-Th-ThatR-R-R-R-RemindsMeeeeeee... :lol:
Edit: Also interesting that the Voyager RME version has this feature as opposed to the keyed version :?:
Our soundman like BASS (bless him) and he carries two subwoofers each loaded with two 18" speakers. He loves giving them a workout when I use the Minitaur. The radiation from those cabinets easily goes through my racks and knocks around the knobs. My racks double as a keyboard stand for the Andromeda and that gets knocked around too. Nothing like getting ready to play a screaming Minimoog solo and out comes a flute :shock:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi