Noise issue, is this normal?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
jdkJake

Re: Noise issue, is this normal?

Post by jdkJake » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:46 pm

For an analog synthesizer, I think those levels are fine.

Thank you for performing and posting the measurements.
—jk—

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:37 pm

First post... hi guys.
After only 2 weeks with the Moog One (actually my second Moog One, because the first unit was faulty), and after finding a bug almost each day, I would say the SNR (signal to noise ratio) is very okay for such an instrument.
I measured both units (the faulty and the new one) with dozens of different tasks in mind, but I couldn't see any issues with noise from the circuits unless some special synth FX are used (=digital domain, which doesn't matter).
Stumbling over this thread I looked at samples from both units, which have been recorded with 192kHz/24bits on a RME ADI8-QS over symmetrical lines. The Moog One internal Noise Reduction is turned off, because I wouldn't trust it no way.

Findings:
With an INIT patch, no FX but all 16 voices active, VCA 100% level and output at 12 o'clock, I get a 72dB SNR with both units. This is okay for a modern analog, and brilliant for a vintage analog.

I think there are a lot of things to complain with the ONE, but the noise level is none of them. Keep in mind that the SNR alone is not telling you much about "noise". The term "noise" is not very clear, it might be white or pink or red or brown; and if you are not a 10-20 years old guy, your ear will turn the white noise into a pink one slowly, but for sure. Year for year.
This being said, if we consider noise to be something spread over the whole spectrum, but the Moog One outputs more energy in a range between 1-80 HZ (which I see here), the disturbing SNR is even lower. So, don't sweat it.

I have just a very few vintage synths left in my arsenal (OB-Xa, DX7, MiniMoog, Jupiter-8 and that's it) because I am tired of all the maintenance AND ... noise! Rest assured that my old friends have far more noise than your Moog One. Especially the DX7 is a nightmare with about 50dB SNR which is almost 4 times as much "noise" as the Moog One... but a lot of top chart hits have been made using it :)

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:40 am

jdkJake wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:46 pm For an analog synthesizer, I think those levels are fine....
All right, thanks! :)
Matthias Adloff wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:37 pm I think there are a lot of things to complain with the ONE, but the noise level is none of them... Rest assured that my old friends have far more noise than your Moog One
I've collected a bunch of "Analog Modeling" Synths over the past 20 years - but The One is my only Analog Synth - so I don't have a point of comparison - thanks for the re-assurance!
Matthias Adloff wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:37 pm The Moog One internal Noise Reduction is turned off, because I wouldn't trust it no way.
I set noise reduction to 0.0db after the first couple hours of use due to artifacts generated on attack/release of the VCF.
Matthias Adloff wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:37 pm unless some special synth FX are used
I also noticed this - when I enable a Synth Effect (e.g.: Stereo Chorus - Widener) it applies a "sort of noise reduction" (I think... as the hiss suddenly drops) but it is replaced by a repetitive swooshing noise from the chorus (like on a Roland Juno 106) - it sounds so unnatural in comparison with the regular noise.

Since the effects are Digital - on my Jupiter X the Chorus "noise level" is a parameter - maybe something for the feature request list.

chefmenteur

Post by chefmenteur » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:42 pm

A previous poster mentioned this, but I also have much more noise on the sub outs than I do on my main outs. When I sent the test files I made demonstrating this to Moog service, they asked me to send it in for repair. Nonetheless, they decided that it was not malfunctioning. I was sent a new 16-voice in the meantime, and it exhibited the same issue. They said there is not a software solution to this, so don't use the sub outs for anything important.

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:20 am

Ok, thanks for the info on the Sub Outs!
Did they end up returning the One you sent for repair or did you just end up keeping the new One they sent you?

chefmenteur

Post by chefmenteur » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:15 pm

I ended up keeping the new one. Sweetwater handled the return/replacement under warranty. The old one had the creaky keyboard some users mention, and the new one does not, so it worked out for the best despite the minor inconvenience.