XY Pad Trick

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
audiosampling

XY Pad Trick

Post by audiosampling » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:34 am

The XY pad is a bit tricky to use: it requires pressure to activate (just a touch will not work) and you have to take care not travelling too far towards the edges (dead zone). So, I was thinking how to best deal with it.

I found an original playing technique. It consists of putting multiple fingers onto the surface. And then either you move each finger individually, or - and this is the interesting bit - use your hand as a "joystick" : you keep your fingers as depicted below, and just move the weight of your hand around (not the fingers) as if your hand was the joystick. This works! And allows subtile X/Y modulations.

IMG_4576.JPG

PS. Moog : it would be very nice if the pressure required to activate the touch, was a parameter that user could set to taste. Futhermore, a "relative mode" would be a killer feature : like the bipolar mode, but with the (0,0) point not set at the center of the pad, but where the finger initially lands onto the pad!

vwizz

Re: XY Pad Trick

Post by vwizz » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:32 pm

I concur with the need of a relative mode with (0,0) starting at the original location of the fingers :)