EXP Pedal Mod source doesn't work properly

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
paddy ryan

EXP Pedal Mod source doesn't work properly

Post by paddy ryan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Assigning EXP1 or EXP2 (to anything) doesn't work as it should. There should be no control effect until the pedal is above 0. Currently, the destination gets the set modulation amount even while the pedal is still at 0, or even if there is no pedal plugged in to the jack!
EXP assignment should work the same way as every other unipolar mod source (all the others work as expected).

I am reposting this as a separate topic. I think this is important! I use EXP pedals all the time and I cant on my MOOG One. This should be such an easy fix!

(to be clear, the pedal works, but the mod assignment logic doesnt)

synthguy

Re: EXP Pedal Mod source doesn't work properly

Post by synthguy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:27 am

Hi Paddy:
What kind of pedal are you using? Not all pedals are wired the same, and that may be part of the problem you're having.

In my previous reply to you, keep in mind that although you do have to use the constant because of the way the VCA level is set up, you don't have to when addressing most other destinations, like Filter Cutoff. Just assign, and it pushes the cutoff up (or down) depending on how you have it programmed (at least on my unit).

I can't remember if the current limited voltage source on the ring connection is normalled to the input when nothing is plugged in, and I'm away from my unit for the next week or so. I'll check it to see if this is the case once I get back. That would explain getting signal without anything plugged in.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Paddy,

mine works properly. I have an original Moog (with a switch for polarity) and my firmware is actually 1.1.0.
Works on Filter, LFO´s, Volume ...

Do you have also a Moog Pedal?

Best regards.
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

paddy ryan

Post by paddy ryan » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Have you even read my post before replying?

My pedal works fine. It has nothing to do with the pedal!

If I assign wheel, aftertouch, x, y, pad pressure or any other source to a filter, and set the mod amount to say 50%, the filter will not be affected by the modulation until I generate some data from the source. (eg. If i dont turn up the mod wheel, no modulation is generated)

If I assign EXP1 to a filter, and set the mod amount to 50%, the filter is modded by 50% instantly, without having generated any modulation data from the pedal (pedal is at 0). Even if there is nothing plugged in to EXP1 at all! I can verify pedal position is at 0 from the hardware screen. There is no mod data there,

Moving the pedal generates an ADDITIONAL modulation amount on top of the 50%.

This behavior is exclusive to EXP1 and EXP2. Those mod sources should behave the same way as everything else.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Why yes, of course I have.

Now, what type of pedal are you using?
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:39 am

paddy ryan wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:49 pm If I assign EXP1 to a filter, and set the mod amount to 50%, the filter is modded by 50% instantly, without having generated any modulation data from the pedal (pedal is at 0). Even if there is nothing plugged in to EXP1 at all! I can verify pedal position is at 0 from the hardware screen.
I have tried, from an INIT PATCH, setting Ladder cutoff to zero, then assigning EXP1 to that cutoff, 100%. It does work as expected. Keeps at zero unless I press the pedal. Not the behaviour you describe.

paddy ryan

Post by paddy ryan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:34 pm

this is indeed fixed with firmware 1.1.0!!

a setting of about 20% gives a full filter sweep from heal to toe