Envelopes making noise?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Skuggasveinn

Envelopes making noise?

Post by Skuggasveinn » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Whenever I have a long attack sound, I get this low frequency noise/click before any sound comes from the oscillator. This sound continues to happen even if I turn the oscillators completely off.

If I do a short attack sound the noise continues to happen in the background but is less audible. In that case if I turn the oscillator off the sound also continues. The noise/click is basically making the same noise as the envelope itself, so if I have a short attack the noise sounds like that as well. Same with decay/sustain/release.

The only way I've managed to turn this sound off is by turning the VCA volume to about 50%, but then the volume of the synths is so low I barely get any audio to record. To compensate for that I can raise the master volume but then the clicking starts to be audible again.

My only "workable" solution it to simply EQ everything below about 160hz, but that of course makes many sounds unusable.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Skuggasveinn

Re: Envelopes making noise?

Post by Skuggasveinn » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:57 pm

If anyone else is having this problem I think I found a solution.

As strange as it might seem, by putting a stereo effect on, for example a chorus. And then just adjust the "mix" settings to 0% will get me the sound pure without the low end clicking.

Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 am

I've also found another way to play without this low frequency sound. That is to simply have no layers. The sounds I've been creating have few layers, for example "bass" on synth 1, "strings" on synth 2. And then I get this envelope noise very clearly (with or without oscillators turned on). But if I create an INIT patch, and then go to "browse" and then take the layer (for example the strings) and make input them into my new patch, without adding another layer = no sound issue.

Hope this can help anyone having the same problem.

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:06 am

Old post, I know - but I found this while looking for a similar issue...

I can reproduce the pops simply by "quickly" turning the VCA knob up or down - if I turn the knob slowly, no pops - fast - bunch of pops before I get from min->max value.
So I'm sort of leaning toward the VCA as the cause instead of the envelope - could you try and see if you have the same?

Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:50 pm

Hey, I tried turning up the VCA slowly and fast and that made no difference to the "white noise" I keep hearing when pressing a note.