1.06 bugs

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
noisebit

1.06 bugs

Post by noisebit » Fri May 24, 2019 9:43 am

Hi there,

I would like to open a new topic.

@admin: Is it possible to shift the other new topics and threads about 1.06 firmware in here? It will be easier to read and avoid duplicate
entries of issues.

Yesterday I updated my MO16 from 1.05 to 1.06.

Uptime of 10 hours, used with playing nearly 4 hours. In the last hour I played the factory sounds that I created first after the update in a new library from the factory sounds, named MOOG1.06.

My detuning problem is not completely solved, but seems to be much better in this release. Only a few (maybe special?) sounds have a detune in the deep lower area.

But I had a system reset after switching from one sound to another. I will try to reproduce it.

On the weekend I make a deeper test and report it here again.

Best regards.
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

Synthient Sound

Re: 1.06 bugs

Post by Synthient Sound » Fri May 24, 2019 8:56 pm

I've been having problems with the Polyphony page with the Unison function. Sometimes the Unison light on the button will turn on, but Unison itself won't be on. Toggling 'Mono' sometimes gets it to activate. Also, I've had the Unison Detune amount changed in some of my previously made presets.

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Sat May 25, 2019 2:14 am

Cryss, has thisjust started in 1.0.6? I haven’t noticed it but will check further.

Ian

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Mon May 27, 2019 3:51 am

The last weekend has gone and I spend so much time in creating new sounds from scratch.
Now my MOv16 works fine without any problems !

I concentrated to create patches based on some data sheets with factory programs by the MemoryMoog ;-)
All the patches I had created are without any effects - sounds really good!

The system reset caused by switching one program to another I could not reproduce again.

Thanks a lot, Moog team!
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

Synthient Sound

Post by Synthient Sound » Tue May 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Ian, I've just noticed these in 1.0.6, but since the beginning it seems there has always been weird bugs with the Polyphony and Unison page items.

Synthient Sound

Post by Synthient Sound » Thu May 30, 2019 12:04 pm

I'm still finding that the Filter More screen does not always display correctly in regard to the filter type (observed this with the SVF filter). Last night the graphic showed LP, but the filter light was on HP. This has been since 1.0.4.

SandyS1

Post by SandyS1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:05 am

I'm having definite problems with the mod matrix, and they're really unpredictable.

One that is easy to reproduce:

1) Download the Kevin Lamb & KING presets, and import them into a fresh user space.
2) Load the "Blended Bells" patch, and play a couple of notes.
3) Load the "Blurry Hurry" patch, and play a note.

Expected result: normal Blurry Hurry patch with subtle vibrato introduced by the mod wheel

Actual result: A large LFO amount applied to pitch of the oscillators, made even more extreme when the mod wheel is active. Nothing subtle about it.

4) Now go to the "Cleaner Pipes" patch. Play a couple of notes.
5) Return to the "Blurry Hurry" patch, and play a note.

Expected result: hear the same mess as Actual Result above.

Actual result: The normal Blurry Hurry patch is back. Something odd is going on with modulations not being cleared out.

6) repeat steps 2 & 3
7) Verify Blurry Hurry is once again messed up
8) Go to mod matrix, deactivate the first modulation, then reactivate it.

Expected result: I give up, what?
Actual result: Back to the normal sound, because this time I really meant it, I guess?

---
One that is less easy to produce:

I have a patch that includes LFO 4 on S&H mode with 100% Variation applied to OSC 2 Frequency. OSC 2 has hard sync on. I developed the patch, and added other modulations. I saved it, and then came back to the patch. Add some other subtle LFO changes of different amounts to OSC 1 pitch, OSC 1 wave angle, OSC 3 pulse width. Add some aftertouch control to each mod slot. Weird, the aftertouch has no effect no matter the setting. Save the patch, go to another patch, come back to the first patch. Suddenly the LFO 4 modulation, while still showing in the mod matrix, has no effect, and disabling/enabling the mod slot has no effect. None of the others work, either, not even in their primary state.

Did I fly too close to the sun? Have I worked the modulation slots too hard by having too many of the same LFO modulating different things by different amounts? Or is this just some odd bug somehow a side effect of the first bug above, or vice versa?

GLW

Post by GLW » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Fresh (two weeks) Moog One user here. Today I had the following problem: while playing I got some strange response from the keys, it turned out that every 16th key I pressed, produced a different sound than the other 15 in between, or even no sound at all. This happened in several (all?) presets. So I made a new init by pressing shift/compare, and when playing, the 16th key I touched produced silence in oscillator 1 and 3, and a detuned oscillator 2. Luckily powercycling the One resolved this, but apparently something went wrong with the keyboard scanning / routing.
Mother-32, Subsequent 37 CV, W7/8.1

donwp

Post by donwp » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:47 pm

This problem with mod matrix corruption has been frustrating me for months. As pointed out by SandyS1, the Blurry Hurry preset is dependent on the history of the selected presets and editing, which is a programmer's nightmare. I consider this to be a very serious issue, worthy of a separate forum subject, as it is not some new subtle bug with the 1.06 firmware. My unit shipped with 1.03, and none of the subsequent updates have addressed this. I hope Moog can solve this soon. Sometimes the effect is severe (like the full blown pitch modulation in Blurry Hurry), but at other times the mod path effects are less obvious, and you can't tell what the real sound should be without doing a deep dive and trying to correct problems. Even then, sometimes you can't fix the problem (like aftertouch having no effect) without starting a new patch from scratch, since the disable/enable trick doesn't always work. I'm also wondering if there is some correlation between the faulty presets and what firmware version they originated from. I purchased the new GEOSynth presets and haven't found any culprits yet, which is encouraging.

ArguZ

Post by ArguZ » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:45 pm

GLW wrote:Fresh (two weeks) Moog One user here. Today I had the following problem: while playing I got some strange response from the keys, it turned out that every 16th key I pressed, produced a different sound than the other 15 in between, or even no sound at all. This happened in several (all?) presets. So I made a new init by pressing shift/compare, and when playing, the 16th key I touched produced silence in oscillator 1 and 3, and a detuned oscillator 2. Luckily powercycling the One resolved this, but apparently something went wrong with the keyboard scanning / routing.
I had that one last week...on key was just sounding at all...
i tried paying them one by one, then sequentially...same.
And yes rebooting fixed it and so far it did not come back.
Not a biggy, but it wanted to chime in and confirm this.

VocoVacca

Post by VocoVacca » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:36 pm

ArguZ wrote:
GLW wrote:Fresh (two weeks) Moog One user here. Today I had the following problem: while playing I got some strange response from the keys, it turned out that every 16th key I pressed, produced a different sound than the other 15 in between, or even no sound at all. This happened in several (all?) presets. So I made a new init by pressing shift/compare, and when playing, the 16th key I touched produced silence in oscillator 1 and 3, and a detuned oscillator 2. Luckily powercycling the One resolved this, but apparently something went wrong with the keyboard scanning / routing.
I had that one last week...on key was just sounding at all...
i tried paying them one by one, then sequentially...same.
And yes rebooting fixed it and so far it did not come back.
Not a biggy, but it wanted to chime in and confirm this.
Strongly encourage you guys to contact Moog tech support about this. I had a similar problem: Playing C4, for example, would produce G4, then maybe F3, etc. Started intermittently, then got worse. Tech support diagnosed it as a failing voice card. Got an RMA and shipped my Moog One back to Asheville. They replaced the voice card, tuned up everything, now my monster is behaving perfectly. Don't know if you're experiencing the same fault—but call them!
Moog One 16, Matriarch, Mother-32, Subharmonicon, DFAM, Mavis, SubPhatty; Nord Wave 2, Nord Drum 3; ASM Hydrasynth; Teenage Engineering POM-400; Yamaha P-140 piano.