Can I synthesize Minimoog sounds (exactly) on a Moog One?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
MWK

Re: Can I synthesize Minimoog sounds (exactly) on a Moog One?

Post by MWK » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:04 pm

When you put the the State-Variable Filter in series and have it going into the Ladder Filter, there's a lot of gain and growl when you tweak the emphasis on both filters in a certain way—very unique!

The biggest flaw most people are actually pointing if they say the Moog One doesn't sound as thick as the Minimoog is simply because you can't program it like you would a Minimoog. That is, It requires a different approach to get that thick sound that is very immediate on the Minimoog. IMO, most people give up when they can't immediately recreate a sound by tweaking the knobs like they would on a Minimoog. The trick is to devise a new approach and this requires the help of the SVF in series to boost the signal. Completely different approach but to me, the Moog One can have a thicker bassier sound.

benabbiana

Post by benabbiana » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:23 am

MWK wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:04 pm When you put the the State-Variable Filter in series and have it going into the Ladder Filter, there's a lot of gain and growl when you tweak the emphasis on both filters in a certain way—very unique!

The biggest flaw most people are actually pointing if they say the Moog One doesn't sound as thick as the Minimoog is simply because you can't program it like you would a Minimoog. That is, It requires a different approach to get that thick sound that is very immediate on the Minimoog. IMO, most people give up when they can't immediately recreate a sound by tweaking the knobs like they would on a Minimoog. The trick is to devise a new approach and this requires the help of the SVF in series to boost the signal. Completely different approach but to me, the Moog One can have a thicker bassier sound.
This, 100%.

vancouver007

Post by vancouver007 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:24 am

I’m in the same predicament as the OP. I just bought a Voyager XL for around the same price as a One (8 voice) and I absolutely love it, but am conflicted about which would be the better choice long term.

The Voyager sounds warm, fat and just absolutely gnarly. It shakes my entire house. The epitome of the classic Moog sound IMO, and the XL version I have is extremely versatile.

I went a demo’d a One today for a couple hours and I must say I wasn’t terribly impressed. I wasn’t thrilled with the build quality and the sound did not blow me away. I started from an initial patch (in mono), and tried to recreate some of the sounds from the Voyager and it just sounded thin. Very tame, sophisticated and lacking warmth. Very much “new Moog” like the Subsequent 37 (which I also own). And honestly it didn’t sound much better than the PolyBrute sitting next to it. Overall, my impression was that it seemed like the perfect machine for film scoring but lacking for music given its lack of grit and edge.

But I only spent a couple hours with it… in a noisy music shop connected to an amp that probably wasn’t EQ’d properly. So either way I’m still terribly conflicted. I only have room for one synth like this, so my gut tells me the One would be the better synth long-term given its versatility as my tastes and interests will surely change. But the Voyager truly feels like something special. And I don’t believe Moog will ever make anything that sounds like it again.

sentionaut

Post by sentionaut » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:55 pm

I'm surprised about the comment on the build quality. To me the Moog One is top of the line in terms of build. The keyboard is beautiful and the buttons and knobs all feel firm and sturdy. The headphone jacks and rear jacks are all tight and the pitch and mod wheel feel sturdy and responsive. What were your issues with build?