Moog One's TRIPHONIC MODE

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
MWK

Moog One's TRIPHONIC MODE

Post by MWK » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Would it ever be possible to have a paraphonic mode on the Moog One? To be able split the OSCs apart within a single VOICE similar to the Sub 37s DUO MODE?

Introducing the Moog One's TRIPHONIC MODE. :shock:

I know some people are thinking it's not needed with a polyphonic synth, but there are very interesting sonic possibilities that can be achieved with this technique. It's definitely a unique feature to the Sub 37, but if it could also be implemented on the Moog One... that would be wild!
Last edited by MWK on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmcecil

Re: Moog One's TRIPHONIC MODE

Post by jmcecil » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:53 pm

You can set the egs not to retrigger/reset and set the voice allocation to 2. That should give you duophonic action.
EDIT: yeah I know this isn't a per oscillator version. You can just get the same sort of vibes going.

MWK

Post by MWK » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:17 pm

It just doesn't have the same feel. There's something sonically very interesting to me when OSCs get split and reunited as you play single and multiple notes on the Sub 37, especially when glide is on.

I think there are still some bugs with the voice allocation settings on the Moog One. Or at least how voices are allocated on a single synth. For example, voice stealing (even when you set it to 'no stealing') still happens when only playing a single synth. If I play a note and hold it, playing notes on top of it will cut the original 'held' note whatever setting I use in voice allocations. That shouldn't happen. There's no way to set the 'held note's priority over other notes being played. Still haven't been able to get that to work. On the Sub 37, you set low note priority and the low note will always play as long as you hold/sustain it. It takes priority over any other note played.

That's what made me think of a Triphonic or Duophonic Mode for the Moog One. Either that, or voice allocation needs to be revisited/reviewed to fix these possible bugs.

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:47 am

My quasi-paraphonic idea is being able to set the envelopes to behave as monophonic single-trigger envelopes even when on a polyphonic patch. (Or multi-trigger, but still one per synth, and not per voice)
This would allow the same thing essentially as you are suggesting by using one oscillator, but even further, you could have paraphonic (or triphonic) behavior and still have multiple oscillators per voice.
So the filter envelope, say, would apply to all voices, and not retrigger (or retrigger if you prefer) for each note.

This however doesn't do the oscillator split and reunite thing you mention. You can SORT of get at that with multiple synths with one note priority set to last and the other to high, or some combination thereof. Not quite the same thing due to separate envelopes, etc.