Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

Moog One Bugs

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby [email protected] » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:27 am

Master Effects Issues

I would first like to say I am enjoying the Moog One immensely. It is a masterful instrument beyond even my wildest dreams of what I thought would be possible. You folks have certainly out done yourselves. Congrats and thank you.

I am currently operating the most recent Firmware, v1.0.3. During the live stream for this update Michael Ashton and Nick Valente were kind enough to address an issue I noticed concerning building feedback seemingly coming from the Master Effects (around the 26 minute mark in the video). I have been exploring it further and have pin pointed the source. In the live stream I had mentioned the preset ‘Apollo Strings’, which has an Eventide Shimmer Reverb. The PITCH DECAY parameter is set to “PITCH+REVERB FRZ”. When this preset is selected and without triggering a key the Master Effect is picking up the background noise and creating what I would describe as a feedback loop. It continues to build to audible sound even with the Master volume at 50% or lower. Within about 15 minutes it is louder than the preset itself. This seems strange since the freeze function does not freeze a pitch or reverberation unless it is played before any decay is turned up to “FREEZE” (is that by design?). All of this occurs with the NOISE REDUCTION set to -24db. It will also continue to build even when the Master effect is turned OFF. Choose ‘Apollo Strings’, don’t hit any keys, wait until the noise becomes audible, turnoff master effects for several minutes and turn it back on. Before you do, turn the Master Volume down, because it will be blaring loud. Is the Master Effect receiving signal when not engaged? I have noticed this with each of the five different types of Eventide Reverbs. Other effects also react to the noise. Flanger and Phaser are most noticeable. However, it is only audible with these effects when the Master Volume is turned up to extreme levels. The delay effects can also produce growing audible feedback from background noise alone, which also effects the Synth Effects. The Delay that is most noticeably affected by a background noise generated feedback loop is the Tape Delay.

The Noise Reduction has helped a great deal with this issue. I hope more can done. More Noise Reduction? Does the FREEZE function only work if a note is first played then the DECAY/FEEDBACK is turned up to FREEZE? If so, why would the back ground noise trigger a freeze and growing loop of feedback when a preset or effect is selected with such parameters and a note has note not yet been triggered? Specifically, in the ‘Apollo Strings’ preset, the Freeze is saved as part of the preset and without triggering a note the background noise feedback loop occurs.

I’m sorry this is so lengthy. I just wanted to do my best to be as specific as possible. I hope this does not seem critical or unappreciative. I truly love the Moog One and the effects are spectacular. The whole thing is spectacular. I can’t imagine the amount of time, thought and energy that went into creating this instrument. And to whom ever created “Apollo Strings”, I love it. Great preset. I’m sorry that singled out this preset. This issue is not unique to this preset. Thank you.
I like bass, synths and FX. Food is good too.
User avatar
[email protected]
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby [email protected] » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:30 am

Arpeggiator and Sequencer Clock Issues

Hello! I am very much enjoying the magnificent beast that is the Moog One. It is a fine and spectacular instrument. There is just one small thing I noticed concerning the ARPEGGIATOR and SEQUENCER. I’m currently operating the most recent Firmware v1.0.3.

When selecting the CLOCK TIMING of either the ARPEGGIATOR or SEQUENCER, the triplet is twice as fast as it should be. For example, if a set the BPM to 60 and select 1/8 as my CLOCK DIVISION and TRIPLET as my CLOCK TIMING then I should hear three notes trigger per beat/click. However, this Is not the case. I hear what would be a sextuplet or sixteenth note triplet or six notes per beat/click. This is the case for all TRIPLET CLOCK TIMING across all CLOCK DIVISIONS. Twice as many notes play per beat then there should be. This occurs whether or not you SYNC the ARPEGGIATOR or SEQUENCER to the MASTER CLOCK. At least this my understanding in terms of music theory. The rule being a triplet is a grouping of three notes of equal rhythmic value spaced evenly where only two should fit if played straight. So for a whole note triplets you would hear three note triggered across eights beats. Half note triplets would be three notes per every four beats. Quarter note triplets would have three notes per every two beat. Eighth note triplets would be three notes per every beat. Sixteenth note triplets would three notes per every half beat (or six per beat). And 32nd note triplets would be tree notes per every quarter beat (or 12 notes per beat). Thanks!
I like bass, synths and FX. Food is good too.
User avatar
[email protected]
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby pitchdrifter » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:54 am

I'm encountering issues with voice panning between the L and R main outputs.

The INIT patch, for example, sometimes it's centered, sometimes it's very left heavy (9 to 12 db difference between L and R).
This appears to change with reboot (e.g. from left heavy to right heavy, or, perfect center for a change) for most patches.
pitchdrifter
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:36 am

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby vwizz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:08 am

Would it be possible to have a regular follow-up (a monthly update?) on the bugs corrections?
The “tunnel effect” seems to have increased and having no more updates nor news from Moog is not reassuring.
I wouldn’t want the One to end up like the A6 with a long list of unsolved issues.
I must say the experience of waiting 6 months (so far) for a synth and reading A LOT of bad press around it has really tampered my initial enthusiasm .
And that is with me struggling and trying to stay positive...
But no news + poor music on the net (not the machine’s fault hopefully... still frustrating!) + no way to see/try the synth + more than 6 months wait = negative vibes in the end :(
vwizz
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby Iaamusic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:01 am

I agree with your point on the update timeline.

I ordered last October in the UK, and some of the hassle with bugs got to me too, in fact I nearly cancelled my order and go prophet x. Now it’s actually here in my studio I’d say three things:

1/it’s a wonderfully sounding synth at its core. I have a model D and a prophet 6 to compare against and can state that it’s a great sounding - just oscillator into filter and no FX it’s sawtooth is rasping as it ought and the triangle and pulse are pure and rounded. The SVF and the ladder work so well together. So at its core, it’s a lovely sounding synth.

2/ it’s modulation capability’s are off the scale for a poly analog. This is why it’s a work in progress. After establishing the point above to my satisfaction (if it sounds poor then no amount of extras will help) it was for this sound design complexity that I went for the one. It leaves the model D and P6 miles behind. In fact it’s like layering a Kronos and a P6! I think this is why some of the videos have not hit the spot. People are applying awesome modulations but producing (in my view) unmusical sounds. I think a demo starting with purer sounds and then working through more complex routings would have been better. I may do this actually when I have some time.

3/ it’s a beautiful user interface. It really is a joy to create sounds and play, the performance control is exceptional. I’m only four hours in so far, but I can’t imagine an analog synth sound that I couldn’t get close to with it.

So,yes, I think more regular communication from Moog after the initial flurry would be welcome particularly on completing the I/O and midi.

Just my opinion so far. I’ll be doing a full demo review later with sounds.
Ian
Iaamusic
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby PhilAiken » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:52 pm

pitchdrifter wrote:I'm encountering issues with voice panning between the L and R main outputs.

The INIT patch, for example, sometimes it's centered, sometimes it's very left heavy (9 to 12 db difference between L and R).
This appears to change with reboot (e.g. from left heavy to right heavy, or, perfect center for a change) for most patches.


Have not seen that other than one time that a stereo insert return was coming back on one side. Shot in the dark, but rule that out.
PhilAiken
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 am

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby Iaamusic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Neither have I, is it the same through the headphone outs?
Iaamusic
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby DLove » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:38 am

TabbyCatte wrote:
DLove wrote:Thanks for the reply. Sadly not the case. With this bug,
when one sound (preset) goes silent upon loading, usually all other presets I select
as well are silent.


Same behavior here - and once it decides to stop working, the only thing that fixes it is a reboot.

I haven't been able to identify reliable steps to reproduce it - usually because when it happens I'm deep in the zone :wink:

I'll try to pay more attention - it's probably 1000x easier to fix if we have steps to reproduce.


Same issue with trying to backtrack to find a cause.
The only thing I can “assume” is that it seems to happen after the synth has been on a while.
Oh my.

Dave
One - Minimoog Model D Reissue / Muse - Source - Sirin - Sub Phatty - DFAM
CP-251 - MF-101 - MF-102 - MF-103 - MF-104M - MF-105M - MF-108M - MP-201
DLove
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:22 pm

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby paddy ryan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:51 pm

I sure would like to hear from MOOG as to status of fixes all the bugs!

I have spent $11,000 CDN on a synth that has SO MANY BUGS!! Although it sounds lovely, I cant even sync it to my DAW!

I still have the box and am deciding if I should return it. Maybe buy it again in a year or two if/when it actually works properly.

Yesterday I turned it on and each time a hit the same key it played a different note!

So frustrating.
paddy ryan
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby DLove » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:17 pm

DLove wrote:
TabbyCatte wrote:
DLove wrote:Thanks for the reply. Sadly not the case. With this bug,
when one sound (preset) goes silent upon loading, usually all other presets I select
as well are silent.


Same behavior here - and once it decides to stop working, the only thing that fixes it is a reboot.

I haven't been able to identify reliable steps to reproduce it - usually because when it happens I'm deep in the zone :wink:

I'll try to pay more attention - it's probably 1000x easier to fix if we have steps to reproduce.


Same issue with trying to backtrack to find a cause.
The only thing I can “assume” is that it seems to happen after the synth has been on a while.
Oh my.


Will try leaving my One on overnight when I return home from touring in mid April.
W’ll see if it occurs with it just idling overnight. Fingers crossed it won’t.
Dave
Dave
One - Minimoog Model D Reissue / Muse - Source - Sirin - Sub Phatty - DFAM
CP-251 - MF-101 - MF-102 - MF-103 - MF-104M - MF-105M - MF-108M - MP-201
DLove
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:22 pm

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby till » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:43 pm

jmcecil wrote:I often can't undo mono mode.
I have to go to synth 2 or 3 and enable disable the keyboard
Then I can go back to synth one and disable mono mode.

Happened to me today (v. 1.03) too.
I could switch the MONO button off, but still only monophonic playing. No UNISON used.
I had stored it under the tag MONO, so I stored it without this tag by overwriting. Still no polyphony possible. Loaded another patch and then back to the other one. And now it played polyphonic again.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * Minimoog (1979) * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog reissues with MUSEs * One
User avatar
till
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:17 pm
Location: south-west Germany

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby till » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:15 am

SOSTENUTO pedal
Sostenuto pedal function is not working like described. In fact it reacts just like the normal sustain pedal function.

The manual states:
When set to SOSTENUTO PEDAL, only the notes that are being held when the Sostenuto pedal is pressed will sustain. Subsequent notes that are played after the Sostenuto pedal is already held down do not sustain.

In fact all notes will be sustained, no matter if the sustain pedal was pressend while the notes where held or played after the sustain pedal was pressed.

HOME screen: indication of keyboard range
The grey section indicating the keyboard range behind the three stripes of the three synths is off by one octave here. It is always showing the keyboard range one octave too low for its low and top limits. And when using the octave transpose in the left hand section, the grey area will only update when you play the first key after you changed the octave.
BTW: some markers for the c-notes in the grey section would be helpful to see the keyboard split points.

MANUAL error about undoing the solo function of a synth
TIP: Press any SYNTH button while holding SHIFT to solo the selected synth. Repeat to return to standard behavior.

Actually just pressing the SYNTH button of the solo synth will undo the solo function. No need to use the SHIFT as well. In fact, SHIFT + SYNTH button won't work to stop the solo function.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * Minimoog (1979) * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog reissues with MUSEs * One
User avatar
till
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:17 pm
Location: south-west Germany

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby thealien666 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:10 pm

paddy ryan wrote:I sure would like to hear from MOOG as to status of fixes all the bugs!

I have spent $11,000 CDN on a synth that has SO MANY BUGS!! Although it sounds lovely, I cant even sync it to my DAW!

I still have the box and am deciding if I should return it. Maybe buy it again in a year or two if/when it actually works properly.

Yesterday I turned it on and each time a hit the same key it played a different note!

So frustrating.



I hear you.
That's often what you get when you buy a synth these days. Programmers rely on customers to do their Beta testing work for them, instead of making sure the machine is actually ready for market.
I had the same sort of issues with my Sequential Prophet REV2, and Behringer Deepmind 12. Both of them had severe bugs, when they first came out. Behringer was very quick to iron most of them out (within a month), but Sequential (formerly DSI) took a long time to do the same (over 2 years), and the synth still has some annoying ones to be fixed.

This kind of thing could not have happened back in the eighties, because back then software was electrically burned onto ROM chips, and updating meant that you either had to send the keyboard back, of have a service center do it, which was too costly for manufacturers. Even though this has happened a couple of times, you can be sure that those programmers lost their jobs soon after the corrected ROMs were issued.

But in these days of flash RAM and non-volatile memory easily downloadable and updated via USB, programmers couldn't care less about having a properly functioning software before a synth goes on sale, because that'll keep them working a little longer to issue firmware updates. The Moog One was in development for 4 years, you'd think that the programmers could have had the major bugs ironed out by now ? :roll:

Sure, no software can ever be 100% bug free. But at least the major ones should be fixed before making the product available. Especially in this price range.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion
User avatar
thealien666
 
Posts: 2791
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Moog One Bugs

Postby zaiusz » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 pm

POLYPHONY SECTION BUGS

POLY COUNT and STEALING MODEs are very bugged.

When setting Poly Count to an arbitrary number and the sound is saved, ie. 4 voices, changing the sound back to "AVAILABLE VOICES" will stay at the last amount of voices saved into the patch, ie. 4.

"NO STEALING" mode does not work at all. If I allocate 3 voices, play a two note chord with my left hand and solo on the right hand, left hand notes always are stolen if accidentally bumping a 4th note.

P.S. Please add functioning midi sync to the next update... i'm starting to get bored :/
zaiusz
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Torontoish

Previous

Return to Moog One

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests