MY BUG LIST: Feb 24 2019. These have all been sent to MOOG over the past few weeks and I have not heard a word back on any of them! Version 1.03.
The XY pad:
There is no response from X or Y without actually pressing down on the pad (which then of course triggers the third control “pressure”). That doesn’t seem correct. I should be able to effectively slide a finger on the pad to generate X and Y control data without having to press down at the same time.
Also, there seems to be no sensitivity at the edges of the pad (perhaps related to the pressure thing above). So Values jump from 0 to the the first spot on the pad were it responds (with pressure only if course). The result is an abrupt jump in X and Y control values. (on the screen, you can see the little red dot at the edge of the pad, and see it jump to the first place it gets data from).
Is there something wrong with my pad??
USB Input: I get no response when I plug a USB computer keyboard in to the MOOG (for typing names etc. The USB port doesn’t seem to work.) Sure would make entering text a lot easier! and could be useful for data storage as well.
The Computer USB link seems fine.
Vocoder: The vocoder needs some work! First it is very fiddly to find a balance between signal (mic) input level and vocoder threshold settings to get it to work properly. Granted this only needs to happen once, and I did manage to get it under control.
BUT my big complaint is when as the vocoder mix level is adjust upwards, it also mixes in the raw modulator single (ie my voice). So at 100% I hear the vocoded signal AND my raw voice, with my voice being the loudest. I should only be hearing the vocoded synth sounds, MODULATED by my voice inflections. This is designed wrong.
Patch Change Artifacts: I often hear pretty prominent artifacts when switching patches. Not great for live!!
Preset/Timber browser: Many of the presets show nothing in the timbre display. Are these perhaps older presets that lost some compatibility with the newer operating versions?
STRANGE THING I came across a very strange thing when editing the "Solo Cello” preset. ANY modulator assigned to ANY of the SVF parameters didn’t do anything! Even though they were showing in the modulation list, they had absolutely zero effect on the filter. Worked fine on the Ladder filter. Also, anything in the cutoff modulation section (below the filters) worked fine on the SVF. Try it….turn your filter mix to only SVF, and try to modulate it via destination buttons or in modulation page! Cant figure out why for the life of me.
Of course I verified in other patches that this was not a problem at all.
One More Question: Where in the signal chain are the inserts? Before the effects or after?
Aftertouch: The aftertouch requires a pretty aggressive touch…. to get full modulation you have to press really hard… I ended up with sore wrists after using the aftertouch to modulate things! It seems this need to be calibrated to not require quite so much effort.
EXP 1 modulation assign: Assigning EXP 1 to any destination results in the destination value being changed by the amount of modulation assigned, IN SPITE OF the modulation source being at 0. If EXP 1 source does generate modulation data, it is ADDED to the amount already being sent by the modulation amount setting.
With another modulation sources, setting a modulation amount to a destination has no effect unless the modulator itself is set to anything other than 0. (Mod wheel, X Y Pad, envelopes, etc etc all work this way). Changing the modulation source to EXP 1 has an an entirely different behaviour, as outlined above. I did trouble shoot to make sure my EXP pedal was not generating positive data when at 0. This behaviour also remains even when nothing is plugged in to the EXP 1 jack!
Bottom line, the modulation amount assigned from EXP 1 to any destination sends that modulation amount regardless of the modulator’s position, and adds the modulators position data on top. This renders EXP 1 as a mod source unusable.
(Update, EXP 2 does the same thing....but has a much lower response ratio)
Stuck Note/Crash: On two occasions, my MOOG has become non-responsive, with whatever notes that are sounding just continuing. The only thing I could do was turn it off and on. I dont have a specific chain of events to associate with this…it just seemed to happen.
Unstable Notes: Several times during my exploration, I have come across a situation where playing a key will result in variations in tuning of the note. With some of the more complex patches, I thought that perhaps there was some deep programming error that may be causing this.
BUT: I also experienced this with the INIT patch, with only one oscillator and no modulation. (I sent videos of this to MOOG)
AMP ENV LATCH: Strange behavior...sometimes engaging LOOP and LATCH starts sounding notes when there are none active!
Also, it seems to latch permanently. If I release notes on the keyboard it continues to play them in loop mode (as it should). If I play a new series of notes, it just ADDS them to the previous ones. It should re-latch to the new set of notes (like the ARP does in hold mode.)
FILTER EG and MOD EG appear to behave as expected in LOOP/LATCH.