Moog One Bugs

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
MWK

Moog One Bugs

Post by MWK » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Where is the best place to post bugs we find? Does Moog have an e-mail dedicated for reporting bugs?

The Moog ONE is a BEAST! I don't think we'll ever find all the bugs on it, but at least we can try! :D

_DemonDan_

Re: Moog One Bugs

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:43 am

MWK wrote:Where is the best place to post bugs we find?
Hi MWK,

I think you just created the place to post bugs:-)
MWK wrote:The Moog ONE is a BEAST! I don't think we'll ever find all the bugs on it, but at least we can try! :D
Wow, that's very Zen:
*%*%* If a bug is never found by anyone, is it still a bug? *%*%*
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

MWK

Post by MWK » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 am

I've already sent an e-mail about these but it doesn't hurt to post them here to see if others are experiencing the same issues.

• INIT PATCH, when in MONO/1 VOICE mode, if you turn SYNC, LOOP and LATCH 'ON' in the AMP ENV section, you can hear additional voices playing.

• INIT PATCH, Synth 2 ARP does not play notes when 'ON'

• ALL 3 ENVELOPES, when SYNC is turned 'ON', anything that is set to 64 behaves like 1/64th (essentially no release). 32 works fine.

• SOME PRESETS (eg KALIMBALOID), when SYNC is turned 'ON' and playing notes, weird glitches show up. After discussing with someone from GS, we've noticed that slowing the Master Tempo eliminates this issue.

I use SYNC quite a bit, I think that's why I found all of these.

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:15 am

I often can't undo mono mode.
I have to go to synth 2 or 3 and enable disable the keyboard
Then I can go back to synth one and disable mono mode.

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:24 pm

jmcecil wrote:I often can't undo mono mode.
I have to go to synth 2 or 3 and enable disable the keyboard
Then I can go back to synth one and disable mono mode.
This seems to have something to do with the polyphony of synth One being set to "all available voices". Usually just changing that clears it up, but sometimes the other synths have their greedy little mitts wrapped tightly around them.

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:26 pm

Another one that I forgot to open a ticket about ..

Relative mode doesn't work consistently across all the controls. I haven't figured out exactly which things aren't working, but it is a lot of the front panel controls. It's really annoying for that and takeover not to work.

MWK

Post by MWK » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:50 pm

This one's intermittent.

Sometimes I'm making a sequence on Synth 1 and I'll go to Synth 2 or Synth 3 to add another layer, and both Synths aren't responding. I try everything from voice count, VCA level, OSC levels (you name it!) and they don't make a sound. I haven't been able to re-create it on the fly, but it creeps up from time to time when I add additional timbres while Synth 1 is playing the sequencer. Now, I know you're probably thinking my voices aren't properly allocated, but trust me, it's only a monophonic sequence! ;)

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:08 am

MWK wrote:This one's intermittent.

Sometimes I'm making a sequence on Synth 1 and I'll go to Synth 2 or Synth 3 to add another layer, and both Synths aren't responding. I try everything from voice count, VCA level, OSC levels (you name it!) and they don't make a sound. I haven't been able to re-create it on the fly, but it creeps up from time to time when I add additional timbres while Synth 1 is playing the sequencer. Now, I know you're probably thinking my voices aren't properly allocated, but trust me, it's only a monophonic sequence! ;)
I've had it happen, and I reported this one via the chat/auto ticket thing. Doesn't hurt to keep it online though.

MWK

Post by MWK » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:09 pm

Signal-to-Noise Ratio

I'm not sure if this is considered a bug, but I wonder if there's a way to improve it with the upcoming firmware or if it's hardware dependent. Compared to most other synths in my gear, the Moog One does have a tendency to be noisier with a quieter overall signal (even after multiple attempts of gain staging). What ends up happening is that the main signal isn't as loud as what I would expect it to be and increasing volume simply increases the noise more than I'd want. I'm used to making loops and having a lot of delay in my tracks so when I start using the Moog One, I notice how difficult it is to keep noise at a comfortable level since noise gets exponentially worse in this scenario. The other synths I use don't struggle too much in this domain (Prophet 5, Sub 37, Crumar T1). Even with everything turned off (All OSCs to 0, VCA to 0, All SVF and LADDER off, you can still hear the noise in the main signal. I wonder where it's coming from and if there's any way MOOG can mitigate it more.

What do you guys think?

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:40 pm

MWK wrote:Signal-to-Noise Ratio

I'm not sure if this is considered a bug, but I wonder if there's a way to improve it with the upcoming firmware or if it's hardware dependent. Compared to most other synths in my gear, the Moog One does have a tendency to be noisier with a quieter overall signal (even after multiple attempts of gain staging). What ends up happening is that the main signal isn't as loud as what I would expect it to be and increasing volume simply increases the noise more than I'd want. I'm used to making loops and having a lot of delay in my tracks so when I start using the Moog One, I notice how difficult it is to keep noise at a comfortable level since noise gets exponentially worse in this scenario. The other synths I use don't struggle too much in this domain (Prophet 5, Sub 37, Crumar T1). Even with everything turned off (All OSCs to 0, VCA to 0, All SVF and LADDER off, you can still hear the noise in the main signal. I wonder where it's coming from and if there's any way MOOG can mitigate it more.

What do you guys think?
I find it pretty easy to keep the noise in manageable range by paying attention to gain staging, although everyone's needs are different in that area. One crucial thing in my set up is to keep the master output below 12:00 at all times. The VCA should be fully open unless you are using multiple synths and using the VCA to balance. The loudest oscillator should also be fully up.
This, for me, gets plenty of signal level with no audible noise unless I go looking for it. I mean, there is some to be found, but it is quieter than many instruments I use.
If that is not enough gain - still avoid turning up the master output - and instead get your gain post-instrument. I don't know for sure that the master output ADDS noise, but it seems to. I do not think the S/N ration remains constant once you start turning the master output up. I have not measured, but it SEEMS like that to me, so take that with a grain of salt. I do know that if I turn up the gain at the mixing board it behaves better FOR ME than turning up the gain too much at the master output. I also know that 12:00 on the master output is 0dB and flooring it is +12dB, so it is actively boosting. It is also probably good practice to mute any timbres not being used, as well as any unused inserts, etc. Again, have not tested, I just set my init patch to be like that right away.
No matter what you do it will be noisier than a digital synth, and in the worst use case - using one triangle wav only or something you can bump into the floor. As far as Moog making improvements, they have stated that they are looking for ways to dynamically mute potential sources of noise and have taken some steps in that direction as of 1.02.
Perhaps you have tried all of that to no avail for your needs....

MWK

Post by MWK » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:13 am

PhilAiken wrote:...As far as Moog making improvements, they have stated that they are looking for ways to dynamically mute potential sources of noise and have taken some steps in that direction as of 1.02.
Perhaps you have tried all of that to no avail for your needs....
I'm hopeful they will figure it out. Moog One is a dream machine, it makes anything come true! ;)

MWK

Post by MWK » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:43 pm

Apple Keyboard 'Bug'

I'm trying to use a wired Apple keyboard on the Moog One and it doesn't respond when plugged in. I tested out another keyboard (Logitech) and it works. The Apple keyboard works fine on my iMac. Any ideas why it wouldn't work on the Moog One?

conradk

Post by conradk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 pm

MWK wrote:Apple Keyboard 'Bug'

I'm trying to use a wired Apple keyboard on the Moog One and it doesn't respond when plugged in. I tested out another keyboard (Logitech) and it works. The Apple keyboard works fine on my iMac. Any ideas why it wouldn't work on the Moog One?
USB driver compatibility - YMMV in different versions of Linux. This should be correctible though so I'd report it.

MWK

Post by MWK » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 pm

This bug freezes the Moog One.

Start an Init Patch (or Melo D Kick, where I experienced the bug). Change Filter Env's Decay Curve to 100% LOG. Increase Filter Env's Decay to MAX then increase Hold to MAX and then reduce to MIN while playing. At MIN, the Moog One freezes and reboots.

Edit: Also present in V1.03.

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Any views on 1.0.3 update - I know there’s a live cast but wondered if it’s worth the wait. (My Moog is still shipping,,,,)