Moog One Bugs

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Sugar

Re: Moog One Bugs

Post by Sugar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:49 pm

It looks like unipolar controllers (e.g. Mod Wheel) in the modulation matrix don’t behave as described in the manual, when the controller amount is set to a negative value.
Instead of outputting an inverted unipolar value (where 0 becomes 1 and 1 becomes 0), it simply multiplies the Source by Controller's negative value (where 0 remains 0 and 1 becomes -1).

This means that you can’t reverse the direction of the Mod Wheel, so that it increases modulation at the bottom and attenuates it at the top.
A workaround is to add another modulation row to invert the controller, add a Constant Value of 1, and store the result in a variable.

Repro:

- setup the following modulation entry in the Mod Matrix:
Source: LFO1 100%
Controller: MOD WHEEL -100%
Destination: OSC1 FREQUENCY
- move the Mod Wheel to the bottom position

Expected result: 100% of modulation should be applied

Actual result: no modulation is applied.

From the manual:
CONTROLLER

(...) If the Controller Amount is negative, then the effect of the Controller is reversed (a low Controller value allows more modulation to come through, while increasing the Controller value attenuates the strength of modulation). (...)

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:22 pm

VAR as Destination in Mod Matrix presets

Repro:

1. save a Mod Matrix preset which includes VAR as Destination
2. append this preset to the current Mod Matrix

Result: the Destination which used VAR will be loaded as blank (unless you choose to replace the current Matrix)
Attachments
IMG_3431.jpg

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:32 pm

I wonder if anybody from Moog actually monitors these bug reports? If not, what is the proper way to report a problem?
I emailed tech support a few times, never heard anything back, beyond an automated message.
Is there a place where Moog reps communicate with M1 users?

mihey90

Moog One Bugs

Post by mihey90 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:29 am

who knows what the problem is?
when I add a timbre to synth 2 or 3, the recorded and active sequence from synth 1 stops and disappears somewhere (deleted). in addition, if I set the note hold on synth 1, then when adding a timbre to synthesizer 2 or 3, the sound and hold mode are immediately disabled...

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:09 am

Sugar wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:32 pm I wonder if anybody from Moog actually monitors these bug reports? If not, what is the proper way to report a problem?
I emailed tech support a few times, never heard anything back, beyond an automated message.
Is there a place where Moog reps communicate with M1 users?
+1

Linus

Post by Linus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Moog should really get a community manager onboard to respond to these issues. Even if the response is that these issues won't be adressed in a while it is a lot more comforting than just getting total silence...

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:07 am

All my bug reports are left unanswered too. The frustration is growing... growing... growing... Especially for the price paid to own a One. Moog doesn't even consider you as beta tester. Beta testers receive at least an acknowledgement. Not us. Moog will learn the hard way how you can't stop negative thoughts to be spread on the Internet, once it is too late. It is like a forest fire, you don't wait till it extended to the entire forest, to come with a water bucket.

I got some exposure on CBS news lately... you can see me with the one behind me. Next time, I will add a little sign - "The studio is bug free. All trapped inside this machine" :D

PatMz

Post by PatMz » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:11 am

It reminds me of an old story... 30 years ago, I had bought a Yamaha TX16W 12 bit sampler. First version was limited, a few bugs but OK. Then came the new OS/Firmware which was a total disaster: the device was complex, Yamaha engineers not really knowing what they were doing, they released a half baked version which made the synth useless. And they never fixed it.

Hopefully came Typhoon: a very smart engineer (Magnus Lidstrom at NuEdge) decided to fully rewrite the OS and came with an alternative version which worked great, and added many new features surpassing other samplers!

When I see the number of bugs and non answered requests from users, maybe Moog staff should look for extra help? Or open source the code? This is obviously a very nice but complex synth, I am not sure the team has enough resources to fix things, among all the other products they have to deal with.

My 2 cents...

Yurio

Post by Yurio » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:02 pm

TabbyCatte wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:43 pm
DLove wrote:Thanks for the reply. Sadly not the case. With this bug,
when one sound (preset) goes silent upon loading, usually all other presets I select
as well are silent.
Same behavior here - and once it decides to stop working, the only thing that fixes it is a reboot.

I haven't been able to identify reliable steps to reproduce it - usually because when it happens I'm deep in the zone :wink:

I'll try to pay more attention - it's probably 1000x easier to fix if we have steps to reproduce.
Hey guys!
I have Moog One two weeks old and I have noticed the same issue.
There is the latest firmware but this seems to be the same. When browsing through presets and selecting one it occasionally stays silent. The next presets I choose are also silent but sometimes it suddenly happens that one plays.
Then if I get back to the original preset selected which was silent it plays as well.
I have noticed that sometimes it does not turn of the sound entirely but something like 50% of the sound is out.
Have you resolved this issue? I see that the original post is more than a year old. Have you ever get any answer from Moog about this topic?
Thanks a lot!

devnull

Post by devnull » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:43 am

MWK wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:09 pm The Moog ONE is a BEAST! I don't think we'll ever find all the bugs on it, but at least we can try!
Hardware eventually fails.
Firmware eventually works.

Be optimistic!! :D

devnull

Post by devnull » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:35 am

MWK wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:53 pm WAVE ANGLE BLEED in all 3 OSCs.

When the WAVE MIX is 100% PULSE, WAVE ANGLE bleeds through and changes the sound of the OSC. For example, if you have OSC 1 with 100% PULSE, changing the WAVE ANGLE (either SAW or TRIANGLE) affects the sound of OSC 1. Shouldn't 100% PULSE completely cancel out WAVE ANGLE?
I have this problem. On INIT, OSC1, Mix=100%. If Wave Angle is > 66%, the Square wave starts to warble. As you get closer to 100%, there is some detuning as well towards flat.

OrganKane

Post by OrganKane » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:49 am

I'm not sure if this exact issue has been adressed before and also not sure, if there is a more "official" channel for reporting bugs, but here goes:

When Poly count is set to "available voices", turning synths 2 & 3 on will permanently allocate certain voices to each synth. This doesn't reset, when synths 2 & 3 are turned back off. So if I have an initial patch with only synth 1 active, I can play synth 1 with 16 voices. If I then turn synth 2 on and off, I can only play synth 1 with 8 voices. If I turn synth 3 on & off, I can only play with 5 voices now.

The work around is to assign Poly count for each synth to "16". I must say this is not an intuitive solution and it isn't explained in the manual: after owning this synth for 2,5 years I was still under the impression that "available voices" would mean the voice allocation happens dynamically in real-time, when in fact it meant exactly the opposite.

Moog7th

Post by Moog7th » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:18 pm

OrganKane wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:49 am I'm not sure if this exact issue has been adressed before and also not sure, if there is a more "official" channel for reporting bugs, but here goes:

When Poly count is set to "available voices", turning synths 2 & 3 on will permanently allocate certain voices to each synth. This doesn't reset, when synths 2 & 3 are turned back off. So if I have an initial patch with only synth 1 active, I can play synth 1 with 16 voices. If I then turn synth 2 on and off, I can only play synth 1 with 8 voices. If I turn synth 3 on & off, I can only play with 5 voices now.

The work around is to assign Poly count for each synth to "16". I must say this is not an intuitive solution and it isn't explained in the manual: after owning this synth for 2,5 years I was still under the impression that "available voices" would mean the voice allocation happens dynamically in real-time, when in fact it meant exactly the opposite.
Way easier solution: As long as a synth is light gray on the Home screen (keyboard control off) it still gets its voices allocated and reduces the polyphony on the other synths. Press "shift" and "on" (keyboard control) and the synth is represented in dark gray and no longer steals voices.

andrewlong

Post by andrewlong » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:17 pm

+1 for USB Keyboard not being recognized by the One. Have tried with a Keychron K2 (wired) and a cheap wired mechanical (Eagletec I think). Neither work. Keychron seems to have known issues with function keys being recognized by Linux, but I'd be happy with being able to type notes. Less interested in controlling synth focus.

MWK

Post by MWK » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:06 am

I don't know if they'll fix this but...

• When adding or switch patches while they are playing, weird audio glitches occur so you can't really feel comfortable switching patches or adding them on the fly in a live situation. If there was a protocol or procedure to perform that resolved those, that would be amazing. I can understand if voices are having to shuffle in real time causing this issue, but when you specifically set voice count per patch to avoid any shuffling and the glitches still happen, it's really odd.

To this date, the audio glitches are what bother me the most about the Moog One. It's very difficult to do certain things in real time without causing these glitches. I've noticed that the sync parameter and rate for LFOs are cause weird resets/delays on the fly.

I'm hoping the latest firmware (since it's been almost a year now) destroys all these bugs. That would be a dream come true! :)