Moog One Bugs

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
vwizz

Re: Moog One Bugs

Post by vwizz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:03 pm

I have the same issue with the V1.2 stereo chorus. I get a high feedback (higher than what I had saved) when I recall my preset.
Cheers

tonstrom

Post by tonstrom » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 am

thank you, so i know it's not just on my ONE.
Would be great, if some more of you could check this
thanks !

jambbb

Post by jambbb » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:11 pm

Hello, I have recently been dealing with a recurring issue with my Moog One 16 voice on firmware 1.2.0. I got it in December brand new.

Basically whenever I try to recall a snapshop or another preset, the One freezes up and then reboots. Oddly sometimes the synth engine still makes noise until halfway through the reboot. It's basically happening all the time now making the One unusable. Contacted Moog a couple weeks ago, the issue has gotten worse. No replies yet. Anyone else suffering from this issue?

tonstrom

Post by tonstrom » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:12 pm

not this bad, only like described before, recalled patches/snapshots with FLANGER, PHASER, and some other FX sound wrong/off.

can any of you guys conform, that it had not been like that before 1.2?

this would explain, why patch saves /snapshots made before 1.2 seem to be recalled correctly

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:52 pm

1.2.1 firmware released.

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:11 pm

Remaining issues with FX
As much as I have no more issues with Gain levels between Synth FX and Master FX, there is still a problem regarding the SEND amount on the reverb.
—> If I have a Synth FX on (say a Stereo Chorus) and that I have a Stereo reverb after, I can really hear the reverb even if its SEND amount is at , say, 45%.
But then, if I turn off Synth FX but leave the reverb on, I can’t hear it anymore. I have to dial the SEND up to 95% to have a similar reverb.

I didn’t quite realize it since 1.2.1 because most of my daily sounds have no Synth FX (I use analog fx on the Inserts) and I had done my tests on Delay Synth fx with low levels of reverb...

So that and the wrong values recall (eg: Left Time on Stereo Chorus) are for me the last things that need to be fixed to have the effects working properly

Cheers!

pimis

Post by pimis » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:07 pm

1.3.0 Firmware

Going from home to library to change folder and back crashes the Moog One sometimes.After the crash it restarts automatically

Synthient Sound

Post by Synthient Sound » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:42 pm

Posting in hope that Moog might see it. Shared it on Gearslutz already. Moog hasn't respond to any of my bug reports through their website/chat/email in the past.

With the continuing effects problems (which again while better has yet to be fully corrected), I checked several Delays out again on 1.3.0.

Synth Effects Delay: bypassed versus engaged...
-setting the time to 0.1ms fully wet, no feedback and switching bypass on/off, the delay cannot reach unity and is a decibel shy.
-setting the Mix to fully dry but Delay effect engaged it now reaches unity, but only with Gain at 100% (should have given a little room)
-50% Mix, Time out a bit at 620ms (nothing particular about this value, just long enough to separate engaged dry and wet), no feedback. Engaged wet delay is 1db lower than dry bypass. Engaged dry signal through Delay is about 6db lower than bypassed, which is too low and also does not represent a true 50% mix (same volume for engaged dry and engaged wet). Here if bypassed is 0db, wet engaged is -1db, dry engaged is -6db.

At 33% Mix, the wet delay is at unity with bypassed dry, but the dry engaged is -2db compared to dry bypassed. Around 7% Mix was the highest I could go and maintain unity between bypassed dry and engaged dry.

What should happen is that the engaged wet and engaged dry should be able to reach at least unity with the bypassed sound. This allows for the gain-staging to be consistent between engaged and bypassed delay within your patch for performance and a true comparison of bypass and effect (the louder usually sounding better to the ear of course). Allowing the engaged effect to go a little quieter or louder would be great, but I unity is needed. If the effect mixing is causing a dip as you near 50% actual mix (not where the knob is), then a compensation needs to be added. Furthermore, it is apparent that the engaged dry and wet are not equally mixed at knob value 50%. True equal mix (at least on "Delay") is around 45% which together is still around -5db compared to bypass.

The Matriach also suffers from this bad design...but I don't think that can be changed through firmware though, which makes it difficult to mix in delay as a performance feature when it drops your whole signal so bad as you get toward a 50% mix. I've built digital delays with analog mix stages which shouldn't be different from a straight analog delay. Hopefully a mod will be shared for when our warranties expire.

Summary of problems:
Gain staging of engaged effect is lower than bypassed signal at most areas of the Mix knob for either the engaged wet or dry. This causes gain staging issues when using the delay as a performance tool (engaging/bypassing) as well as offers an annoyance for sound designing both in terms of comparing bypassed sound to engaged as well as inaccurate Mix indication (of dry/wet engaged mix).

As I've said many times, 1.2.0 made the mix issues much better, but they have not been fixed all the way. I am not a beta tester and Moog doesn't respond to my bug reports through either their email or chat (even if I chat, there is no follow up).

The Moog One is an absolute tone machine, but this has been a huge oversight all the way through the development of the Synth Effects. If we got this last little bit fixed it would be one more step in creating a usable and stable Moog One.

DLove

Post by DLove » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:19 pm

Moog One Sequencer Transpose Issue.

Hope everyone is well, sane and healthy.

Here is an explanation of the Transpose issue with my One.

Any Midi signal from an external device which is transmitting on Midi Channel 1 going into the Midi In input of the One causes the Transpose function to go batty when activated while running the Ones’ sequencer.
No other incoming Midi Channel number causes this problem.
Only Channel 1.
This happens regardless of the One’s Midi In Channel being turned On or Off in the menu.
Midi Out, Clock and Start/Stop all have no connection to this issue.
Tried every combination to find a correlation.
It’s only Midi In of a Midi Channel 1 transmission that causes this behavior.
Tried multiple devices directly into Midi In. Same chaotic outcome always.
A gentleman reported this behavior as well a while back.

Can anyone else confirm or deny this? I’d appreciate any input. (no pun)

Thanks, David
Model D Reissue - Source - MP-201 - Theremini - Etherwave.

starkaudio

Post by starkaudio » Tue May 19, 2020 7:13 am

I have a bug (or human error) I'm hoping one of you can validate or disprove.

I have my Moog One listening to midi channel 1 for all three synths. I'm using DIN midi only (and configured that way) and the One is one of two synths being fed by a midi thru box. So each synth is set to receive on seperate channels.

Moog One <- channel one
Other synth <- channel 5,6,7,8

when I send patch changes on midi channel 5 I would not expect the moog one to change current preset in the performance set, but it does.

With the Moog One set to listen to midi channel one, note data is fine but patch changes (that should be ignored) on other channels are triggering preset changes on the Moog one.

Can one of you try to reproduce this? Or is this a known issue?

Thank you!

(And BTW - I can work around this by just using USB midi...so it's not critical personally.)
Last edited by starkaudio on Tue May 19, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://lukestark.com
We could be friends. Hello.

starkaudio

Post by starkaudio » Tue May 19, 2020 8:05 am

DLove wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:19 pmAny Midi signal from an external device which is transmitting on Midi Channel 1 going into the Midi In input of the One causes the Transpose function to go batty when activated while running the Ones’ sequencer.
No other incoming Midi Channel number causes this problem.
Only Channel 1. {snip}
Can anyone else confirm or deny this? I’d appreciate any input. (no pun)
DIN or USB midi? Is this a good recipe to reproduce?

1) Start the One's sequencer running.
2) Send a midi note into the One on midi channel 1 from another synth / DAW.
3) Transpose goes "batty".

Is that all we need to do to test it?

It might help if you could shoot a phone-video of the problem setup and it happening.

I have different weird behavior when listening to channel 1. :)

DLove

Post by DLove » Tue May 19, 2020 11:52 am

Hi,

Sorry you’re experiencing another problem similar to mine regarding Channel 1.
You are correct in the order or recipe to illustrate this problem I’m having.
It happens with both Din and USB, with Midi In set to OFF. Sadly it affects both Din and USB and I don’t have an option around it other than never using Channel 1.
Tonight I will video the process and also try doing a program change to see if mine also behaves as yours does.

David

DLove

Post by DLove » Tue May 19, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi,
Well tried your problem of the Program Change happening irrespective of a different Midi Channel and yes it happens with my unit.
Regardless of the Midi In Channel being on a different channel or even OFF, any program change sent will change the patch.
This is just another issue that now really there is no workaround, unless someone can prove me wrong.
Hopefully that will be, because I’ll be sending it back if this is the case.

David

starkaudio

Post by starkaudio » Wed May 20, 2020 7:04 am

I worked around it by using USB midi.

Separating the Moog One this way on it's own usb connection prevents the patch changes from being sent to it.

I haven't had a chance to try your recipe, but I'll do so later today.

-L

DLove

Post by DLove » Wed May 20, 2020 10:28 am

Hi,
No workaround for me. Both USB and DIN create this problem.
Also, playing around with my bug all night, I found the Transpose function will not be compromised if the keyboard is split. Weird.
None the less sent Moog my 4th email to support. No answer as of a few weeks.
Understand the situation we’re all in, but eventually I want this rectified.

David