Moog One FEATURE Requests

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
vwizz

Re: Moog One FEATURE Requests

Post by vwizz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi Synthguy!

Adding some EG on top of the envelope itself (if that is what you had in mind: but maybe you are describing something else?) is different from what I expect and from my experience with the Andromeda.

I had actually already tried that to “square” some exponential attacks and such things.
It indeed alters the segment curve but:
- there is no visual feedback: the envelope displayed doesn’t match the sound anymore
-it alters the duration of the segment
-it takes time and “blind” adjustments

So yes, I can smooth the end of a Log decay onto the sustain, but it lasts longer than the log decay I had initially specified.

An additional “S” option next to LOG, LINEAR and EXP would be much more efficient and clear.

Cheers!
PS: on a low priority, I also think the variable slope of the Sustain on the DM12 is very nice and quite simple to use with a direct visual feedback on the envelope graphical representation.

PPS: those are sure no showstoppers, but I think the Moog One being what it is, it should have the best/state of the art envelopes :)

chefmenteur

Post by chefmenteur » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:39 pm

I would like to add my vote to LFO START PHASE as a mod destination.

I found a few other requests searching this forum. Here is one:
kordos wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:31 am I have a few more feature requests after a week of use.

The most limiting factor to me has been panning - I find it hard to take advantage of the stereo field. Most my suggestions are in that area.

MOD DEST: LFO START PHASE
This would let me route a slow triangle LFO4 to pan, and then route RANDOM to LFO4 START PHASE to get both offset and movement.

MOD DEST: UNISON DETUNE
Obviously this would be amazing.

POLYPHONY: STEREO SPREAD
My Nord Lead 3's unison feature adds an automatic stereo spread that "just works". I've heard the DSI synths have a similar knob. This would be really useful on a soft knob behind the POLYPHONY more screen.

RbtBg

Post by RbtBg » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:32 pm

Is there any way to extend the sequence length?

Polyphony is fantastic on moog one but the sequence length is limiting.

If my maths is right, a 16 bar tune with eighth note resolution needs 128 steps (current maximum seeming to be 64 steps).

My Arturia beatstep pro can link 64 step sequencer together (and that’s a ~£200 device) but is limited in terms of polyphony.

Thanks 🙏🏼 🙌🏼

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:26 pm

vwizz wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:26 pm Hi Synthguy!

Adding some EG on top of the envelope itself (if that is what you had in mind: but maybe you are describing something else?) is different from what I expect and from my experience with the Andromeda.

I had actually already tried that to “square” some exponential attacks and such things.
It indeed alters the segment curve but:
- there is no visual feedback: the envelope displayed doesn’t match the sound anymore
-it alters the duration of the segment
-it takes time and “blind” adjustments

So yes, I can smooth the end of a Log decay onto the sustain, but it lasts longer than the log decay I had initially specified.

An additional “S” option next to LOG, LINEAR and EXP would be much more efficient and clear.

Cheers!
PS: on a low priority, I also think the variable slope of the Sustain on the DM12 is very nice and quite simple to use with a direct visual feedback on the envelope graphical representation.

PPS: those are sure no showstoppers, but I think the Moog One being what it is, it should have the best/state of the art envelopes :)
If you're really interested in how to bend the envelopes, then this is how you currently do it (well, one way, anyhow. There's probably others).
Will an "S Curve" control appear someday in the firmware? Maybe.

Yes, using the envelope output to modulate the overall curve of an envelope will change the overall time, because, well, physics. That's why you set up a test situation (envelope to pitch makes changes easy to hear and understand the changes) and practice to get a feel for how it works, as modular synthesists do. This makes the adjustment process less "blind" and more intuitive, an acquired skill.

A clever programmer might create a control in the mod matrix that would compensate for the overall change in segment time as it's being bent.
There's a ton of power built into the mod matrix at your command.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:32 pm

I would love to have a setting for aftertouch to only affect the last played note. This method is used to mimic poly-aftertouch on Baloran The River.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:18 pm

Sugar wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:32 pm I would love to have a setting for aftertouch to only affect the last played note. This method is used to mimic poly-aftertouch on Baloran The River.
Try copying your preset to a second layer, then program this layer to have 1 note polyphony (poly count 1).
Use the aftertouch on just this layer.
Www.synthguy.com

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:36 pm

synthguy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:18 pm Try copying your preset to a second layer, then program this layer to have 1 note polyphony (poly count 1).
Thanks, this is an interesting programming tip.
The resulting voice doubling would be noticeable for thinner patches though, so a dedicated pseudo-poly AT setting would make a more universal substitute.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:12 pm

Sugar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:36 pm
synthguy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:18 pm Try copying your preset to a second layer, then program this layer to have 1 note polyphony (poly count 1).
Thanks, this is an interesting programming tip.
The resulting voice doubling would be noticeable for thinner patches though, so a dedicated pseudo-poly AT setting would make a more universal substitute.
Yeah, that's a great idea, but it doesn't exist now, and might never exist, so what do you do in the meantime?

Now, if you're worried about that voice being more noticeable in a thin-sounding patch (I've never run into this particular problem, but let's say it actually *is* in a particular patch) then you would reduce the volume of that layer, and use the aftertouch to appropriately increase the volume of the note when you want to feature it (along with adding any wanted vibrato, filter cutoff, etc) as you see fit.

You could use the aftertouch to directly control the VCA Level (don't forget to appropriately pre-bias it first, mentioned in another post elsewhere) or, you could use the aftertouch to directly affect the sustain level of the VCA envelope generator (set the sustain level down a bit, and then push it back up when needed). There are other ways to accomplish this as well.
You can add slew or a lpf Transform to this control if you need to adjust the modulation "feel".

Using VARS to create multiple sources would allow you to tailor the response individually for each destination if desired.
Www.synthguy.com

smv

Post by smv » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:22 am

hello guys,
in the next Moog One firmware , besides the correction of some annoying bugs , i would like to see polyrhythmic capabilities for the sequencer . So that the note and the modulation sequences , can be different . This would be a big improvement . Maybe someone already wrote it . :? :D

obliterations

Post by obliterations » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:28 pm

rcrowthe wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:11 am Yeah I'm surprised the moog one doesnt have the same cv out features as the subsequent 37 cv. I assumed it did before I bought it. That would be my #1 request. Everything should be able to be converted from midi to cv at the outs... LFOs, pad, gate, pitch, envs, sequencer, aftertouch, velocity, etc
I'm right there with you. Very sad about this. No word about CV on future updates. Moog remains silent. I keep thinking its gonna happen but it doest. So frustrating. I was dumbfounded when I found out the features were missing. Not even an envelope... :(

sinusblitz

Step Edit usability improvement

Post by sinusblitz » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:10 am

Holding the DELETE button while moving around using the Master Encoder could delete all steps passed by.

methodius

Post by methodius » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:54 am

Feature requests:
Microtuning support please.
MPE support - would enable polyphonic microtuning with MTS ESP suite - easiest way for microtuning imo
Microtuning support for internal sequencer.
Full CV out modulation support.

I bought Moog One over 2 years ago to be the centre piece for my studio. One of the deciding factors was a promise for microtonal support and CV I/O support in future updates. Whilst being a totally fantastic synth, on these two important fronts the Moog One has not yet delivered. Which is disappointing considering the price and the large amount of time that has passed…

(If you manage to do MPE+microtuning support for Moog One this delay will be swiftly forgiven :) )

DjokesBokes

Post by DjokesBokes » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 am

Hi everyone,

I have an interesting idea for the One.

As with my MatrixBrute, I can assign different parameters to 4 "macro" modulation wheels on the side of my keyboard.
Here is a thoroughly explained video of AutomaticGainsay about the macroknobs. (kudos to him! He does great video's about synthesizers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1WhHBaRms

This could also be possible with the One.
As your screen is on the "home" screen. You could have the 4 encoders above THE big knob (under the screen) assigned as 4 modulation wheels. These are endless encoders that are only used when performing sound design.

But in "live play" situations they could be used as macro-knobs.
The black knobs at the top could have a "live" tab that would make it possible to see what macro's are assigned to what parameters. (next to "notes" is an empty button :wink: )

You would have the ability to name the knobs and their parameters to "live knobs" and being able to create live knob patches. Like you can dial in certain effects (for instance eventide shimmer = "INIT")
you could choose the live knob patch (for instance = super sweep , Ladder filter cutoff linked, SVF filter cutoff linked and slightly increasing the resonance on the SVF and slightly decreasing on the ladder)

As parameters you can choose how sensitive the parameter responds according to the knob.
If the parameter should have an inverted or natural response.
If the parameter increases x, x^2, x^3, ...
What min and max value the parameter has. (you can twist the knobs forever, but they only go to a certain min/max value)

The whole purpose of these live knobs is no jumping behavior! If you adjust a patch and it goes beyond the min/max value you assigned in the knob patch. The knob will bypass the min/max value.

If you want to assign parameters to the live knobs, you need to be in the "live" tab.
and then use the "dest" buttons and twist knob 1-2-3-4.

ALSO:
1. I noticed that when I choose a patch with a synth effect ON and I scroll through the presets, I hear 1 click sound in the audio. This only happens once, and only when the patch its synth effect is on.

2. With audio effects like chorus, stereo chorus, flanger and such. It has a strange noise sound that is higher then the normal noise floor. I'm not sure if this can be solved. When not using any of these effects, you do not hear this sound. (for instance with the delay effects)

Best wishes and happy Easter,
Jehudi

benrighetti

alternative tuning

Post by benrighetti » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:02 pm

chefmenteur wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:25 pm Oh, I see Amos is talking about adding microtonal scales/custom tuning in this Oct 2018 video:

https://youtu.be/49vHK_D5-gA?t=2368

Has anyone heard anything more about this happening?
Yes! I also hope this feature will come soon, it works very well on my Subsequent37, the same implementation would be perfect!

zinoff

Sync clock divisions for transform S&H

Post by zinoff » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:02 am

In Mod Matrix Transform

It would be great if the S&H transform would support clock subdivisions in addition to Hz.

Lot's of fun can be had that way.