Moog One FEATURE Requests

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
_DemonDan_

Moog One FEATURE Requests

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:42 am

Hi Gang,
I have no power to make any of these feature requests real, but at least these requests will all be in the same place :-)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Re: Moog One FEATURE Requests

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:43 am

Petur wrote:What i am thinking is a click track that (for instance) a drummer can play after. Lets say you want to use an arpeggio or a sequence in a part of a song in a live situation.

Engaging an arpeggio or a sequence live in the middle of a track is pretty tricky when it comes to syncing the arp/seq tempo with the song.

I guess i can use one of the synths to program a sequenced click track on the sequencer and route it to one of the auxiliary outs (for the drummer). But i was hoping there was a dedicated feature for this so that an entire synth track wouldn't have to be sacrificed.

Another solution would of course be to use an external source for the tempo and the click track, and sync the Moog One to that. But that means extra hardware and complexity.
Hi Petur,
I don't know if it's possible to add this but, this FEATURE Requests thread is the best place to ask :-)

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi Dan, Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to do it yesterday, but figured you'd get round to it eventually. I won't have mine until Wednesday, so for the most part I will wait until I dig in. But just to make sure a couple of things don't get lost ....

1) Ability to have a fixed per voice pan position.
2) A per synth voice spread modifier (I know there are ways to sort of achieve this now, just an actual voice allocation spread with a width and pan control would be nice)
3) Noise as a modulation source
4) 0 to 10v on CV IN/Out | CV scaling as a modifier

Thanks for all the info so far!

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:09 pm

A discussion on GS brought up the issue of the more button vs just getting focus when you move a knob.
Maybe we can have a mode like a "focus" mode that allows the more page to open up when a control is touched. Leaving it off is the current behavior of using the "more" button.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:36 pm

jmcecil wrote:3) Noise as a Modulation Source
Hi jmcecil, that one is already in there.
Choose S/H as an LFO wave shape, then set the LFO's VARIATION to 100%.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:43 pm

jmcecil wrote:MORE button vs just getting focus when you move a knob.
Maybe we can have a mode like a "focus" mode that allows the more page to open up when a control is touched. Leaving it off is the current behavior of using the "MORE" button.
Hi jmcecil, be more specific:

In a feature request I've been calling Auto-MORE, what happens the first time you touch a knob in a section that's not on the screen? Do you mess up your current value as the screen jumps to that section? Or, does a knob that's currently not on the screen NOT react to your first knob twist? And then only react to that knob being twisted after the screen comes up?

My concern is that it will feel very broken if nothing happens the first time you move a knob (in a section not currently represented by the screen).

conradk

Post by conradk » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:02 pm

I’d like to ask for a sanity check - it may be just me...

A feature I requested on the Sub 37 and would like the option on the Moog One is ‘parameter value pass through’ - a feature on my Moog Little Phatty which allows you to turn your control knob until you achieve the preset value and then the parameter changes. Otherwise you have to be very careful with your knobs when making live changes to preset parameters as the change between current and new can be extreme/jarring.

I recognize for some new people they would be confused by turning the knob and nothing immediately happens so it should be an option.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:33 pm

IIRC pass-through mode is already in there?

chab

Post by chab » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:31 pm

I'd love to have some lanes of sequencer "per voice" (starting on each "note on") as an alternative to the sequencer "per synth". A.K.A. the "gated sequencer" in DSI REV2 (p.46 of rev2 user's guide).

Thanks for starting these nice wish-threads.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:57 pm

conradk wrote:I would like the option on the Moog One of ‘parameter value pass through’ - a feature on my Moog Little Phatty which allows you to turn your control knob until you achieve the preset value and then the parameter changes. Otherwise you have to be very careful with your knobs when making live changes to preset parameters as the change between current and new can be extreme/jarring.
Hi conradk,

These following options are already available on Moog One (and the Sub 37s):

KNOB MODE (ABSOLUTE, PASS THROUGH, RELATIVE)
Having hardware knobs on a programmable synthesizer means that once a new Preset is loaded, a knob will no longer reflect the current value of that parameter. Knob Mode determines how a knob should respond when it is tweaked.

ABSOLUTE
In this mode, the parameter value will immediately jump to match the current position of the hardware knob.

PASS THROUGH
In this mode, the parameter value will remain unchanged as the knob is turned, until the knob position matches the current value. So, in this case, the knob must pass through the current setting before it becomes active. From then on, the knob will function normally.

RELATIVE
In this mode, the value range is scaled so that the current value is matched to the actual knob position, and the remaining knob range equals the distance from the saved value to the minimum or maximum extreme. The minimum and maximum values remain the same, and once the knob has been turned to the end of its physical range, it will function normally.

Here’s a link to the latest Moog One Owners Manual:
https://api.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... nual_2.pdf

It will allow you to perform your own sanity checks:-)

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:03 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
jmcecil wrote:MORE button vs just getting focus when you move a knob.
Maybe we can have a mode like a "focus" mode that allows the more page to open up when a control is touched. Leaving it off is the current behavior of using the "MORE" button.
Hi jmcecil, be more specific:

In a feature request I've been calling Auto-MORE, what happens the first time you touch a knob in a section that's not on the screen? Do you mess up your current value as the screen jumps to that section? Or, does a knob that's currently not on the screen NOT react to your first knob twist? And then only react to that knob being twisted after the screen comes up?

My concern is that it will feel very broken if nothing happens the first time you move a knob (in a section not currently represented by the screen).
This is a great question. Obviously with endless encoders you just keep turning. It doesn't feel like the movement is disconnected from the change. Although it still is "squishy" on a DSI synth.

On the one hand, I think your hands would learn that you wiggle to get the screen, then you make the change. I agree that at first that would feel a bit broken. I actually think muscle memory would take over in this version of "auto-MORE" mode. The advantage to this approach is you don't change the main value when what you want is a sub value. The disadvantage is when you are trying to access the main value of the knob.

In "do it now" mode, the knob should already be intrinsically tied to the main value, so I'm not sure it's that much of a problem to be doing the change while the screen is being loaded. Unless of course the only reason you twisted the knob was to get access to the scaling or some other sub value.

Unfortunately, I don't have mine yet (two days to go) so I don't know if I will find it a real problem or not. I was just echoing things from the GS thread about the MO. I actually don't like the continual jumping on the DSI synths. A lot of times (if not nearly every time) I'm trying to tweak in relation to something else, and I don't need to see the change to that other controller as I already know where "it" is. In the end I think either approach will work. And both approaches will be met by both "thank you's" and "what were you thinking". :D

Synthient Sound

Post by Synthient Sound » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:18 pm

On Gearslutz there has been a couple of interesting ideas thrown around quite a bit.

One is about a table of known envelope slopes for classic synths. What I'd love to see is some preset envelope blocks for us to call up, in order to program with. Put the classics in (Minimoog, SEM/OB-X, Prophet, CS-80, Jupiter/Juno). Though I most interested in exploring the new 'Moog One' sound, it would be great to have quick access when needed for some of those classic tones.

Another feature would be an easily accessible menu item for stereo voice pan/spread. That one has been mentioned a lot.

Thanks!

mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:53 pm

I know for instance, when I'm detuning OSC 2 and the More is on any of the other OSCs, I'd like the parameter to invert colors so it stands out and show the movement of the knob.. and as soon as it stops moving snap back to the Osc the More page is on. Would help with setting OSC offsets more quickly. Might work for the Filter sections and Envelopes too

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 am

More detailed control over velocity curves would be a serious improvement for those of us that are piano/keyboard players more than or in addition to programmers. It is hard to get some patches to articulate the way one might want, and have good control of a wide dynamic range.

Stereo spread by voice without jumping through hoops would be cool. At the very least, having access to voice number in the mod matrix, as opposed to key number, would allow panning by voice.
In conjunction with a transform like modulo 2 so that even or odd voice number could be a binary modifier, we could pan every other voice to one side or the other.
But really, a stereo spread parameter that behaves like DSIs would be nice.

I don't know if this is physically possible, and I suspect that it is not - but post-mixer pre-filter is the best place to have an insert for me.
<<Edit: This only really makes sense for mono sounds, but that is what I want it for.>>

I would also like for The One to get my son up and off to school in the mornings, so that I could sleep in.
Last edited by PhilAiken on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:17 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:My concern is that it will feel very broken if nothing happens the first time you move a knob (in a section not currently represented by the screen
Ok, you forced me to think it through and my conclusion is that you should NOT treat the knob as just a different "more" button. It should continue to control the value in real time and you change the screen as quick as it can to catch up. The knob should NOT be disconnected from its main purpose and be repurposed as a "more" button.

Obviously this conclusion may be one of those things that looks great on a drawing board (or in this case chasing squirrels around my skull) .. I'd have to go hands on with the two options to see which seems the best compromise since we don't have capacitive knobs.