Moog One FEATURE Requests

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
kordos

Re: Moog One FEATURE Requests

Post by kordos » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:31 am

I have a few more feature requests after a week of use.

The most limiting factor to me has been panning - I find it hard to take advantage of the stereo field. Most my suggestions are in that area.

MOD DEST: LFO START PHASE
This would let me route a slow triangle LFO4 to pan, and then route RANDOM to LFO4 START PHASE to get both offset and movement.

MOD DEST: UNISON DETUNE
Obviously this would be amazing.

POLYPHONY: STEREO SPREAD
My Nord Lead 3's unison feature adds an automatic stereo spread that "just works". I've heard the DSI synths have a similar knob. This would be really useful on a soft knob behind the POLYPHONY more screen.

kordos

Post by kordos » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:55 pm

MOD SOURCE: VOICE NUMBER
Another option for panning - each new voice can land in a different place in the stereo field. Would work well with a MODULO transform so that you don't necessarily have to go L->R or R->L

MOD SOURCE: ACTIVE VOICE COUNT
This would be useful so we could dial back the mixer or VCA out automatically as the number of voices increases. This might be a bit "steppy", so perhaps some solution for interpolation or smoothing would help.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:01 am

A good friend of mine, who owns many analog synths from Moogs to Rolands to Doepfers to well you get the idea, has finally tried the Moog One in a local music store yesterday.
The 20 minutes that he spent with it were less than impressive to say the least. The unit crashed with voices that stopped playing and one that made a strange sound before the unit froze. The Moog One had to be power cycled to bring it back to life. And after recalling the default patch and listening to only one oscillator with sawtooth waveform, it sounded dull. Far from any other Moog synth that we're used to. Even the Voyager (which is not the best sounding Moog in our opinion, since the Grandmother is already way better).

My friend bought a tiny Behringer Model D (that's what he was going there for in the first place), and even it sounds better than the Moog One. In fact, it sounds 99.9% identical to my 1975 Minimoog D, in a side by side comparison. We were both really impressed.

Why couldn't the Moog One sound like a Minimoog ? It would have been a huge success !
I'm sorry to say that the One risk being a fail for Moog Music, unfortunately.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:18 am

thealien666 wrote:A good friend of mine, who owns many analog synths from Moogs to Rolands to Doepfers to well you get the idea, has finally tried the Moog One in a local music store yesterday.
The 20 minutes that he spent with it were less than impressive to say the least. The unit crashed with voices that stopped playing and one that made a strange sound before the unit froze. The Moog One had to be power cycled to bring it back to life. And after recalling the default patch and listening to only one oscillator with sawtooth waveform, it sounded dull. Far from any other Moog synth that we're used to. Even the Voyager (which is not the best sounding Moog in our opinion, since the Grandmother is already way better).

My friend bought a tiny Behringer Model D (that's what he was going there for in the first place), and even it sounds better than the Moog One. In fact, it sounds 99.9% identical to my 1975 Minimoog D, in a side by side comparison. We were both really impressed.

Why couldn't the Moog One sound like a Minimoog ? It would have been a huge success !
I'm sorry to say that the One risk being a fail for Moog Music, unfortunately.
You can make the One's Oscillators sound QUITE like a Minimoog if you so choose, once you learn how they work. What you can't do is take the default saw and compare it to the mini. It does not have A sawtooth sound, it has a wide RANGE of sawtooth sounds available. You unfortunately did not get to hear that, which is not your fault, as that is what most people would do - bring up an init patch and listen to the default setting on the saw. 20 minutes with this synth is not enough to evaluate how it sounds for a first time user, because you do need to dig.
Using the One to imitate a mini is using a nuclear bomb to dig a swimming pool, but you can absolutely do it.

The One's oscillators are a strong suit. They not only don't sound dull, they sound fantastic. I've directly A/B'd them extensively with both a Voyager and Model D.

Cannot speak to the crash you experienced other than to say I've used mine every day since I received it over a month ago and have experienced zero crashes.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:23 pm

thealien666 wrote:Why couldn't the Moog One sound like a Minimoog ? It would have been a huge success !
Hi thealien666,

We're selling them so quickly that we can't keep them in stock. What metrics are you using to define "huge success"? Because I consider selling a lot of them (especially such a high-dollar flagship item) to be "successful".

As for "crashing", there were a number of factory presets that were originally made with a much earlier operating system. Simply updating to v1.0.2 and then creating a new USER SPACE (with all of the Factory Presets), will re-generate Factory Presets that are correctly tweaked for all of the latest parameters.

Once you do that (and it's very likely the store didn't), you won't have those problematic programs any more.

{I do realize that it's probably futile to address every complaint with you that you hear from others, because you'll just find new ones. But I have at least tried with the above two points.}
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:24 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
We're selling them so quickly that we can't keep them in stock.
Hands down the 2019 Synth of the year - Moog Won
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:20 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote: As for "crashing", there were a number of factory presets that were originally made with a much earlier operating system. Simply updating to v1.0.2 and then creating a new USER SPACE (with all of the Factory Presets), will re-generate Factory Presets that are correctly tweaked for all of the latest parameters.

Once you do that (and it's very likely the store didn't), you won't have those problematic programs any more.

{I do realize that it's probably futile to address every complaint with you that you hear from others, because you'll just find new ones. But I have at least tried with the above two points.}
Hello Dan. I had that same thought in mind when my friend told me about the crash. Demo units often aren't upgraded with the latest firmware revisions, and all kinds of people fiddle around all day long on them to the point of doing combinations of things that might uncover obscure bugs that anyone who knows how to use such instruments might not.
The crash wasn't a real issue, it's to be possibly expected on such complex machines with very early firmware revisions. I remember having tried an Alesis Andromeda in that same stores many years ago, when it first came out, and that synth had also crashed on me during the half hour that I had spent with the floor demo.

But as with the Andy, the Moog One failed to impress my friend. And knowing him for over 30 years, I can vouch for his hearing and talent at using analog synths. He told me that there was a Sequential OB6 next to the One and that he could easily switch from one to the other in his headphones. And the OB6 sounded marginally "better" than the One on similarly programmed patches. By better, he meant fuller, brighter, richer. Perhaps the One can be made to achieve the same auditory gratification levels, by tweaking and working at it, but on the OB6 it's already there from the start.

Maybe when I get the chance to experience it for myself I might be better at coaxing some sonic satisfaction out of this thing ? :P

Anyway, thanks for the reply Dan. And if sales are doing well, after having worked long and hard on the user manual, I'm truly happy for you. And thanks for all the interesting and passionate demos of the Moog One that you've shared with us on YT. Unfortunately, none of them have convinced me that the One could be a synth for me, even when I can actually afford it. On a side note, my Prophet REV2 also fails to completely satisfy me. Not as much as my OB6 does anyway (sound wise). And my Moog Voyager Old School got tossed aside quickly when I finally managed to get my hands on a vintage Minimoog D, because the sonic difference was very, very obvious.
Maybe I should get a Memorymoog ? Because I doubt that the One can actually sound like that, no matter how much efforts is put into it. I hope I'm wrong and that someone can "demon"strate it convincingly (see what I did there ? :D ).
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

jdkJake

Post by jdkJake » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 am

I would like to see a way to copy a preset between user spaces directly. Without exporting to a USB stick and then subsequently importing.

Thank you.
—jk—

kordos

Post by kordos » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 am

I'd like a per-OSC MORE setting to enable/disable the LFO3 Waveform Modulations for the selected oscillator. (default: enabled)

My specific scenario is - I'm mixing some square into OSC1 to put some extra bite on the saw, and I want to get some PWM squares alongside on OSC2/3.

I can't use the WAVEFORM MODULATION > PULSE WIDTH LFO3 AMOUNT because it applies to all three oscillators, and will ruin the sound of OSC1.

As a workaround I can manually set up two modulation routes from LFO3 to OSC2 PULSE WIDTH and OSC3 PULSE WIDTH, but that's annoying and I lose the benefit of the dedicated LFO3 AMOUNT knob on the front panel.

MWK

Post by MWK » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:39 am

VERY SMALL REQUEST:

When playing with reduced voices (for example 2), is it possible to keep a voice allocated to a note that is held while other notes come and go?

For example if I play a bass note (and hold it), then play a lead, as soon as I play a note too many on the lead, the bass note cuts out. It would be nice to set a priority so that the held note should never cut out.

Another example, if you played and held two notes. And then tried to play additional notes on top of them, you wouldn't hear the additional notes because the held notes are already taking up the 2 available voices.

This feature (whatever it would be called) would allow a user to prioritize notes over others depending on how they were played. As long as you hold notes, they 'hold' priority. I see this as an interesting way to control voice allocation. (Again, when I say 'hold' I don't mean the hold function, I just mean keeping a note sustained.)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:46 am

MWK wrote:When playing with reduced voices (2 for example), is it possible to keep a voice allocated to a note that is held while other notes come and go?

For example if I play a bass note (and hold it), then play a lead, as soon as I play a note too many on the lead, the bass note cuts out. It would be nice to set a priority so that the held note should never cut out
Hi MWK,

In other words, you're asking that the note that's been held longer than any other note will have priority. That would make that held note the oldest note.

My One is at home, but try choosing OLDEST for the VOICE STEALING MORE parameter (in the POLYPHONY More page) to see if that does what you want.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

MWK

Post by MWK » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:03 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:My One is at home, but try choosing OLDEST for the VOICE STEALING MORE parameter (in the POLYPHONY More page) to see if that does what you want.
That's what I thought originally as well but it doesn't work for me. Perhaps it's a bug? I tried all the voice stealing options and the held note would always cut off even if it was the only one I held down. I will try again later in case my late night brain was not operating at 100%. :wink:

MWK

Post by MWK » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:50 pm

I tried again tonight and it seems like there would need to be another setting. Note priority as 'held notes'. For example, if I hold 2 notes down and I have 2 voices allocated to that Synth, only those two notes will play and any subsequent note will not play until those held notes are released. This would be great for soloing similar to the Sub 37's paraphonic mode. You can hold a drone note and solo on top of it (in this case, it's two separate voices instead of a split voice like in the Sub 37). But currently Moog One doesn't really allow for this on a single Synth.

It currently can be achieved by splitting the sound into two synths, drone note on one Synth and lead on another. But it'd be nice to achieve the same result with a simple note priority setting. That way your sound/preset is on the same panel.

crkcat

Post by crkcat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:10 am

Hello,

I wish that the Moog One had MIDI Local modes on/off in order to use it as a master keyboard for other synths. Did i overlook that? Is this planned?

Thanks!
C.

Euxine

Post by Euxine » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:47 am

Step sequencer - Step value interpolation for mod lanes....

Envelopes - Delay value at end of cycle for looping envelopes (DAHDSRD) to control loop speed and still be able to have the downbeat arrive on time.

"expert mode" features for envelopes and LFOs
Envelopes - If possible, user-selectable envelope curve shapes (i.e. default option log->exp, lin->sine, etc. etc.)
LFOs - User selectable morphing

Oscillator Modulation - If possible, routable oscillator parameter modulation between synth layers (Thinking of FM, but others would be interesting).

And I'd mentioned it earlier, but I think other transform shapes would be really really useful - sat