Moog One FEATURE Requests

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
synthguy

Re: Moog One FEATURE Requests

Post by synthguy » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:44 pm

QuasarLightEchoes wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:59 am * More Modulation envelopes except just one?
Don’t forget, you have an additional envelope you can use that’s part of the Noise section.
It’s a fairly simple AR style envelope, but it *is* available as a modulation source, and if you’re not using it with the noise, then it’s just going to waste. AND, you can use those ultra-versatile VARS tools to modify it any number of ways to your liking.

Need more?

The LFOs can be pressed into service as envelopes as well…an LFO set to perform a single cycle can simulate an envelope with each keypress. Ramp, sawtooth, and Triangle are all useful shapes, and pretty much any parameter can be modulated to add subtle or outrageous variations. VARS can work on these as well, if you know what you’re trying to accomplish and understand how to use the many available tools you have to get you there.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

benabbiana

Post by benabbiana » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:40 pm

I'd like a button to either randomly get my money back plus interest, or have all the issues resolve. :lol:

cormallen

Post by cormallen » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:06 am

I'd love to see controller tracks in the sequencer (ie not the note tracks) routed via the mod matrix, rather than directly. That would mean I could dynamically vary the amount, and could also apply functions like slew to the output of the sequencer.

pod frog

Post by pod frog » Fri May 06, 2022 10:46 am

I would really like to be able to route more things to and from CV. Want to use the Moog's envelopes, sequencer, gates, etc. with CV out to better integrate with Eurorack systems.
Moog One, Prophet 6, Nord Stage, Euro, TR-8, Guitars and Stuff

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Wed May 11, 2022 3:21 pm

• More options on voice panning. The spread function alone is not really satisfying in many situations, as it's too random.
  • FX params as MOD destinations. Level/Mix would almost be sufficient here, as we see that in Sequential synths since long.
Having the panning option, I could imagine I didn't have to pull the trigger on the OB-X8. Which -to my big surprise- does not convince me as much as I expected, and definitely not for the price. The ONE is so much more capable and flexible!

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Wed May 11, 2022 7:06 pm

Voice panning is one of the destinations available in the modulation matrix, so there are many, many ways to control panning other than just the voice spread control.

The spread control isn’t random, by the way. If you play a single voice 16 times, the panning starts at the far ends of the soundstage, and moves inward as each successive note is played (depending on how deep the spread is set).

Through the matrix, you can also use the LFOs, EGs, key position, velocity, and lots more to directly set up how you want the pans to behave. You can also use the VAR function to great effect here to creatively sculpt the outputs of all of these modulation sources for more variety.

Hope this helps!
Www.synthguy.com

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Thu May 12, 2022 11:14 am

Thank you very much, synthguy.
I knew there was a destination "VCA Pan", but I thought this would be on a per-synth basis (as with the hardware control). But it is actually not! Awesome.
Is there any way to tell the modulation matrix to alternate a value for each played key? I see "KB GATE" as input, but I cannot manage to assign it. Or bind the number of pressed keys to the pan?

Well, however, that is great news and I think I will spend a few hours experimenting with the mod matrix, especially with the "VAR" and "TRANSFORM" this evening. Missed those almost completely...

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Thu May 12, 2022 12:35 pm

Hi Matthias,
If you haven’t been diving into the Mod Matrix, you’ve been missing about 95% of the power and creativity that the ONE is capable of. There’s lots of good stuff available from the very knobby front panel, but the matrix is where this machine *really* comes alive.

There’s not just one way to generate a random value for each individual keypress, there are a bunch!
For instance, there’s Random Keyed (1, 2 and 3) in the matrix that will create a random CV with each new keypress. You could assign one to pan, or apply a tiny bit of them to your oscillators to create random thickening of the tuning with each new chord, change the PW, switch from saw to square waves, lots of stuff. Add in the VARs, and things really start to get interesting. The better you understand these tools, the bigger the universe of sound possibilities on the ONE becomes.

The LFOs can create a random CV with each keypress as well. Use the S/H output, and set the rate to the slowest possible so the output will stay stable for a long time, and now this is generating a new random CV with each keypress as well (x4!).

Any time you spend experimenting with all the different things in the Mod Matrix will pay huge dividends in your creativity on the machine.

Happy Creating!
Www.synthguy.com

MichaelTiemann

Post by MichaelTiemann » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:33 am

mildwest wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:55 am
PhilAiken wrote:On the main page when you call up a patch, the 4 knobs under the display are inactive.
It would be amazing if they were assignable mod sources, available to all 3 synths. The possibilities are endless. Bring one synth up while lowering another.Bring in an LFO and sweep a filter on one synth, while adding resonance to another - all with one knob turn.
I like this. Nord has a similar function on their synths.
+1 on this. I envision it working as a "Soft CV Controller" widget that could be exposed in the Mod Matrix. For that widget, Each knob would create new variables (KNOB_1, KNOB_2, KNOB_3, KNOB_4). These variables could then be selected as a Source or Controller inputs. I don't have an opinion as to whether they should only range from 0 to 100, -100 to +100, or whether the range should be something selectable. The main idea is to have a way to use 4 knobs to control parameters that are otherwise deep in the mod matrix.

A similar idea was surfaced here (edited down from original posting):
DjokesBokes wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 am Hi everyone,

I have an interesting idea for the One.
[...]
As your screen is on the "home" screen. You could have the 4 encoders above THE big knob (under the screen) assigned as 4 modulation wheels. These are endless encoders that are only used when performing sound design.

But in "live play" situations they could be used as macro-knobs.
The black knobs at the top could have a "live" tab that would make it possible to see what macro's are assigned to what parameters. (next to "notes" is an empty button :wink: )

You would have the ability to name the knobs and their parameters to "live knobs" and being able to create live knob patches. Like you can dial in certain effects (for instance eventide shimmer = "INIT")
you could choose the live knob patch (for instance = super sweep , Ladder filter cutoff linked, SVF filter cutoff linked and slightly increasing the resonance on the SVF and slightly decreasing on the ladder)

As parameters you can choose how sensitive the parameter responds according to the knob.
If the parameter should have an inverted or natural response.
If the parameter increases x, x^2, x^3, ...
What min and max value the parameter has. (you can twist the knobs forever, but they only go to a certain min/max value)

The whole purpose of these live knobs is no jumping behavior! If you adjust a patch and it goes beyond the min/max value you assigned in the knob patch. The knob will bypass the min/max value.

If you want to assign parameters to the live knobs, you need to be in the "live" tab.
and then use the "dest" buttons and twist knob 1-2-3-4.
[...]
And if course if one allocated two such, then one could manipulate 8 drawbars, four at a time.

How about it?

DjokesBokes

Post by DjokesBokes » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:34 pm

There seems to be an issue with trying to add my comment in text.
I contacted Moog Support regarding this, but Moog Support does not answer me. (it has been months since I contacted them)

Now to add my extra idea/info to this concept, I made a screenshot of my text so the Moog Music Forum does not autoban my post.
https://freeimage.host/i/HXFeYDg
https://i.imgur.com/gcPCLHp.png

(I added 2 links to the same screenshot)

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:34 pm

All I want is proper external midi control. I doubt it will ever happen.... :(
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:51 pm

AlakaLazlo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:34 pm All I want is proper external midi control. I doubt it will ever happen.... :(
I thought that Moog released a huge external Midi control document for the ONE several years ago (probably still available in “downloads” somewhere).
IIRC, it allowed for CC assignment/control of most of the front panel knobs.
If that’s not working, that’s a bummer; I’ll admit I’ve haven’t had the time or the need to check that out yet. Sounds like it could be fun, though. :)
Www.synthguy.com

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 pm

synthguy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:51 pm I thought that Moog released a huge external Midi control document for the ONE several years ago (probably still available in “downloads” somewhere).
IIRC, it allowed for CC assignment/control of most of the front panel knobs.
If that’s not working, that’s a bummer; I’ll admit I’ve haven’t had the time or the need to check that out yet. Sounds like it could be fun, though. :)
They did, and that works sometimes, but sometimes not. But that's not the midi issue I'm referring to...

The issue is that when controlling the M1 from an external midi source (e.g. a DAW, my Cirklon, or another keyboard controller) sending 3 (or more) note chords intermittently (but very often) causes the M1 to hang voices. Once that happens, if you play the same note again, instead of shutting off the hanging note, it freezes another voice on that same note. Once it hangs, it can't process an external all off command over midi. The only way to silence the frozen voices is to hit the octave up/down buttons on the keyboard (the M1's midi reset command), or shut it off altogether. There are additional problems sending chords and midi clock to control the arpeggiator, which all trace back to the voice allocation system. Bottom line, the thing is all but useless under external midi control if you want to have it play chords... kind of an important feature for a modern polysynth...

I have been communicating with Moog's service dept about voice assignment problems since November of 2019 and about this specific issue since early 2021. They initially told me it would all get fixed in the next firmware update, but several have been released since then and it's still a problem. To their credit, they had me send the unit in last year, well out of warranty, on their dime. They replaced the keybed (which I had no issues with) and said they couldn't replicate the issue thereafter. But it still hangs notes as soon as I try to play it from another midi source, be it my DAW (running Cubase or Ableton), my Cirklon, or any of my master keyboard controllers. (Before you ask, there were no midi loops, or other wiring mistakes that cause the problem.)

I was pretty annoyed by all of this (it's been 4 years!) so I then spent a full afternoon extensively documenting the continuing problems and shooting video clips of the setup, testing methodology, and continuous note hangs which I sent back to my service tech. Many weeks later, I was contacted by a more senior Moog company employee. In that exchange (in January 23), they finally confirmed they were aware of the issue, but couldn't say if or when it would be fixed because they hadn't even started deciding what the next firmware update would address. The "guess" I was given was 8 months to 2 years... My most recent email asking if they had any updates has not - as yet - been responded to.

I've been a huge Moog fan since the 70s. I own a vintage modular and a Model D reissue. I've owned plenty of other Moog instruments over the years. But my faith in the company has been seriously shaken by this experience. It's astounding to me that Moog's "flagship" poly can't reliably receive midi chords from an external controller without locking up. I'm currently of the opinion that they can't actually fix the problem, but won't admit it as it could be financially disastrous to them. I'm not a "hater" and I'd love to be proven wrong, because I really love so many things about the One. But for me, right now, its just a very large and expensive paperweight.
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

Audiorate

LFO Smoothing.....

Post by Audiorate » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:20 am

....Particularly the square LFO.
The difference between 0% and 1% smoothing is just too strong.

Audiorate

Post by Audiorate » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:19 am

AlakaLazlo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 pm ........It's astounding to me that Moog's "flagship" poly can't reliably receive midi chords from an external controller without locking up. I'm currently of the opinion that they can't actually fix the problem, but won't admit it as it could be financially disastrous to them. I'm not a "hater" and I'd love to be proven wrong, because I really love so many things about the One...........
Couldn't agree more.
I've just tried MIDI in for the first time and it took less than 2 minutes to get stuck notes.
For playing the keyboard itself it's usually 1 stuck note after several hours play.
My mind is blown by the synth in a good way and by the stuck notes in a bad way.
There should be no feature request more important than fixing this.