Moog One FEATURE Requests

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
rtcstudio

Re: Moog One FEATURE Requests

Post by rtcstudio » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:27 pm

AlakaLazlo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 pm
The issue is that when controlling the M1 from an external midi source (e.g. a DAW, my Cirklon, or another keyboard controller)

I have been communicating with Moog's service
I was pretty annoyed by all of this (it's been 4 years!) so I then spent a full afternoon extensively documenting the continuing problems and shooting video clips of the setup, testing methodology, and continuous note hangs which I sent back to my service tech. Many weeks later, I was contacted by a more senior Moog company employee. In that exchange (in January 23), they finally confirmed they were aware of the issue, but couldn't say if or when it would be fixed because they hadn't even started deciding what the next firmware update would address. The "guess" I was given was 8 months to 2 years... My most recent email asking if they had any updates has not - as yet - been responded to.
This breaks my heart and spirit. How can a flagship expensive product be relegated to such long term updates? I’m new to the Moog One (not even had mine for a year yet) but realize the 1.5 update took forever. Are they that short handed at Moog? Ugh…

synthguy

Re: LFO Smoothing.....

Post by synthguy » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:23 pm

Audiorate wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:20 am ....Particularly the square LFO.
The difference between 0% and 1% smoothing is just too strong.
Pressing the SHIFT button at the bottom right of your display allows you to make much finer adjustments to many of the parameters.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:17 pm

Audiorate wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:19 am
AlakaLazlo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 pm ........It's astounding to me that Moog's "flagship" poly can't reliably receive midi chords from an external controller without locking up. I'm currently of the opinion that they can't actually fix the problem, but won't admit it as it could be financially disastrous to them. I'm not a "hater" and I'd love to be proven wrong, because I really love so many things about the One...........
Couldn't agree more.
I've just tried MIDI in for the first time and it took less than 2 minutes to get stuck notes.
For playing the keyboard itself it's usually 1 stuck note after several hours play.
My mind is blown by the synth in a good way and by the stuck notes in a bad way.
There should be no feature request more important than fixing this.
Thanks, I agree with you too. But like I opined above, I think they have bitten off more than they can chew and either don't have the human resources/ability to fix it, or due to a design flaw, they can't fix it. I so hope I'm wrong... :(
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

Audiorate

Post by Audiorate » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:35 pm

AlakaLazlo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:17 pm Thanks, I agree with you too. But like I opined above, I think they have bitten off more than they can chew and either don't have the human resources/ability to fix it, or due to a design flaw, they can't fix it. I so hope I'm wrong... :(
It's a bug, or bugs.
It's clearly illusive; burried deep and seemingly impossible to recreate on demand.
Being able to reproduce it reliably with a set of steps is the first stage in helping Moog fix it.

A note off message is being lost/cleared/ignored/overwritten/changed somehow.
Hopefully a fresh boot or more simply, after a reset of the MIDI routing settings, the system is in a standard state.
From here playing a given MIDI file could possibly reliably recreate the bug.

Audiorate

Re: LFO Smoothing.....

Post by Audiorate » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:56 pm

synthguy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:23 pm
Audiorate wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:20 am ....Particularly the square LFO.
The difference between 0% and 1% smoothing is just too strong.
Pressing the SHIFT button at the bottom right of your display allows you to make much finer adjustments to many of the parameters.
Thanks, it works a treat for LFO smoothing too.

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:18 pm

Audiorate wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:35 pm
It's a bug, or bugs.
It's clearly illusive; burried deep and seemingly impossible to recreate on demand.
Being able to reproduce it reliably with a set of steps is the first stage in helping Moog fix it.

A note off message is being lost/cleared/ignored/overwritten/changed somehow.
Hopefully a fresh boot or more simply, after a reset of the MIDI routing settings, the system is in a standard state.
From here playing a given MIDI file could possibly reliably recreate the bug.
FYI, I sent them a set of steps that provides a sure-fire way to make it happen reliably within a few measures and a video clip to prove it. Just play a series of ascending quarter note triad chords from an external midi controller or a midi sequencer. Within a few dozen measures, you will have hanging notes. Every single time! But it will still happen every few minutes any time you send it three note chords over midi. Playing it on its own keyboard will do it far less often, but it does still happen occasionally. But it just can't reliably process external midi. Don't believe me? Here's what I sent to Moog. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1w53fgkg2uvvs ... 3.mp4?dl=0. It actually does over din too, but less reliably than over USB.

Another bad glitch that's easy to duplicate occurs if you send it midi clock to sync the arpeggiator. Send it clock, then play some chords on its own keyboard. Many times, it will either not trigger the first chord you play, or freeze the notes.

I know most people use it as a stand-alone instrument, and for that it' almost acceptable (if you don't mind the massive glitches when changing patches). But an instrument of this pedigree (and price-point) should be able to respond to simple midi control like every single other instrument I've owned since midi was invented.
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

Linus

Post by Linus » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:35 pm

AlakaLazlo wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:18 pm I know most people use it as a stand-alone instrument, and for that it' almost acceptable (if you don't mind the massive glitches when changing patches). But an instrument of this pedigree (and price-point) should be able to respond to simple midi control like every single other instrument I've owned since midi was invented.
I second this! Very emabrrasing that basic Midi functionality is so broken on the One, and that they take sooooo loooong to adress it!

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:24 pm

Linus wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:35 pm
AlakaLazlo wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:18 pm I know most people use it as a stand-alone instrument, and for that it' almost acceptable (if you don't mind the massive glitches when changing patches). But an instrument of this pedigree (and price-point) should be able to respond to simple midi control like every single other instrument I've owned since midi was invented.
I second this! Very emabrrasing that basic Midi functionality is so broken on the One, and that they take sooooo loooong to adress it!
Nope. The basic midi functionality is given now for me as a non professional user. I have no problems since Firmware 1.5

I use my Moog One with Logic X or Reason in a perfect and easy way with USB and an ESI Midi Interface. No hanging notes. I modulate the Moog in real time when I record the audio track.

I think, your described problems come in a much more expressive and professional use. Moog has to test much deeper… not on basic Midi ground. And yes: They take a long time…
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

rtcstudio

Post by rtcstudio » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:30 pm

noisebit wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:24 pm
Nope. The basic midi functionality is given now for me as a non professional user. I have no problems since Firmware 1.5
Actually, at least one basic Midi function is still not right. Neither Exp 1 nor Exp 2 will transmit via Midi (via Midi Din out). If you’ve found a way let me know. Right now I use a separate expression pedal plugged into a midi box just for pedals, and take that midi out to a midi merge box that also has the One’s midi out connected. Then take that to the interface connected to Logic. This lets me control volume/expression on VI’s in Logic, while I play them via the One keyboard. Sustain does in fact work right now.

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:54 pm

noisebit wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:24 pm

I use my Moog One with Logic X or Reason in a perfect and easy way with USB and an ESI Midi Interface. No hanging notes. I modulate the Moog in real time when I record the audio track.

I think, your described problems come in a much more expressive and professional use. Moog has to test much deeper… not on basic Midi ground. And yes: They take a long time…
Not trying to be a buzz kill here. If it works for you, then I'm happy for you. But - respectfully - no. I'm attempting to do exactly what you said: play the unit from midi and manually work the panel while recording the audio. It hangs notes so often that I don't even bother anymore. Moreover,

A) Moog senior staff have acknowledged to me they know it's broken,

B) I've now tried this on 3 different units and they ALL do it. But Moog are taking their sweet time fixing it (possibly because they don't know how).

C) If you aren't sending chords to it, then you probably won't notice it. Mine almost never (not actually never, but almost never) hangs when used monophonically. Just often enough to ruin an occasional take.

D) But if you are sending any series of 3 note chords, all Moog Ones will hang notes eventually regardless of the midi source or DAW you are using.

Don't believe me? Try this experiment: In Logic or Reason (or whatever else you are using):
1) draw some ascending midi quarter note triads in C (e.g. C/E/G, D/F/A, E/G/B, etc.) although it doesn't matter what notes you send as long as there are 3 note (or more) chords.
2) Set your BPM to any reasonable speed (100-140 suggested).
3) Loop the midi track so it repeats (or duplicate it a bunch of times) and the send the chords to your ONE.

Within a few minutes (or sometimes just a few measures) it will hang notes. You can see which voices are hanging on the voice allocation display. If you then play the same note that is hanging, more voices will hang on that same note (as you will see in the display). Only way to stop them is to hit the Octive Up/Down buttons together (all midi off) or power cycle it.

I'm not sure what's more annoying; that they didn't get even basic midi right before selling any, or that they simply refuse to commit to a fix.

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:02 pm

I won´t be a buzz kill, too. :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/noisebit-2/test- ... controller

This evening I spend some time for you to show you my "non hanging" notes.

a) Chords with 3 notes
b) 200bpm
c) Using all synths on different channels 7,8, and 9
d) Playing the knobs while recording to audio.
e) This is no song, it is a test :o
f) You hear only the Moog One 16 with internal FX

I used Logix X and my ESI with DIN. Synths are divides on midi channel 7,8, and 9. The pause has hanging notes?
Nope.

Did I something wrong? :?
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:34 am

noisebit wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:02 pm
a) Chords with 3 notes
b) 200bpm
c) Using all synths on different channels 7,8, and 9

Did I something wrong? :?
Hello, Thanks for posting this. I'm not sure you did anything "wrong" but I'm having a hard time hearing and undestanding exactly what you did. Did you send 3 note chords over a single midi channel, or 3 note chords, one note over channel 7, one over 8 and one over 9? I'd love to see the midi file for this so I could play it on mine and see if it hangs. Any chance you can post the file somewhere?

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:03 am

midi channel 7 has the chord on synth 1
midi channel 8 has the bass on synth 2
midi channel 9 has the 2nd chord on synth 3

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:58 pm

noisebit wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:03 am midi channel 7 has the chord on synth 1
midi channel 8 has the bass on synth 2
midi channel 9 has the 2nd chord on synth 3
Thanks for clarifying and than you for your efforts. Could you post the midi file so I can try it on mine. Would like to verify if the track would play properly here; and if so, do some serious research as to why. I'd be happy to provide my midi file to you to see if yours hangs playing it if you like.

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:54 am

Hi Al,

thank you for the file. I played it on my Moog One 16 voices in Logic X. First track is only the chord cluster with synth 1 only. The second track use all 3 synths on channel 7,8 and 9 with synth 1 on the left, synth 2 in the center and synth 3 on the right panorama. I had no hanging notes, as you can hear in the tracks. :D

Parameters 120 bpm and 480 ppl as you wrote.

I played with VCA and VCF knobs while recording the audio files.

midi over DIN
https://soundcloud.com/noisebit-2/moog-1
https://soundcloud.com/noisebit-2/moog-2

midi over USB
https://soundcloud.com/noisebit-2/moog-3
Played some extra notes on the keybed of the Moog to disturb the sequence.

I had no "hanging notes"

Best regards
Tom