Moog One FEATURE Requests

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
_DemonDan_

Re: Moog One FEATURE Requests

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:46 pm

jmcecil wrote:Ok, you forced me to think it through and my conclusion is that you should NOT treat the knob as just a different "more" button...Obviously this conclusion may be one of those things that looks great on a drawing board (or in this case chasing squirrels around my skull).
Hi jmcecil,

I think about an Auto-MORE option every time I program One. But I keep getting stuck at the "what to do about messing up the initial parameter value" problem. And, like you, my squirrels keep going back and forth about it.

I think, in the end, I would still like to have Auto-MORE as a feature, but definitely NOT as the default behavior. Here's why:

On synths that don't have a screen readout, grabbing an unused knob ALWAYS wrecks the preset value, and I don't even think twice about it. So, until I'm ready to do uber-fine OCD types of program finessing, I think having the screen follow me around is far more convenient for those who grab knobs quickly and fearlessly.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:39 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote: On synths that don't have a screen readout, grabbing an unused knob ALWAYS wrecks the preset value, and I don't even think twice about it.
Exactly, I think I expect the value to get jacked up when doing that. I know this gets complicated by fixed rotation knobs and various takeover/relative modes. But, I'm still pretty sure I just want it to act like a knob and do its thing instead of having to give a wakeup the screen nudge. As I see it, as I wait for my box, is having to wiggle the knob is really not that much different than just clicking the more button on the way to the knob. Anyhow, I have 7 of 92 squirrels nodding yes .. that's damn near unanimous between my ears.

Gomjab

Post by Gomjab » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:22 pm

This is a logistic request directly to you Dan. When you update the manual please put a version number and/or revision date prominently at the front of the document. I’m sure that is your intent but I have seen other manuals where it isn’t shown or is hidden somewhere in the back!

My only current manual suggestion would be a block diagram showing overall signal flow.

Looking forward to updates to the One and the manual!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Gomjab wrote:This is a logistic request directly to you Dan. When you update the manual please put a version number and/or revision date prominently at the front of the document. I’m sure that is your intent but I have seen other manuals where it isn’t shown or is hidden somewhere in the back!
Hopefully, the Moog folk will see this request. I live 600 miles from Asheville, and have no say in how they do things:-)

Gomjab

Post by Gomjab » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Ah sorry. I guess they deal with the final format and updates. I assumed that you would be working on updates to the manual. Well we are on a Moog forum so hopefully they are reading these suggestions. There are some good ones! Like others I would like to see a new addition to VCA more menu that adds a pan spread control.

And great job on the manual Dan!

psionic11

Post by psionic11 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:16 pm

Allow a modulation to increase the oscillator level beyond 100%.

conradk

Post by conradk » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:05 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:These following options are already available on Moog One (and the Sub 37s):

PASS THROUGH
In this mode, the parameter value will remain unchanged as the knob is turned, until the knob position matches the current value. So, in this case, the knob must pass through the current setting before it becomes active. From then on, the knob will function normally.

Here’s a link to the latest Moog One Owners Manual:
https://api.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... nual_2.pdf

It will allow you to perform your own sanity checks:-)
That is awesome, sorry I missed that! I appreciate whoever listened, listened. And yes, as soon as mine arrives I'll perform a sanity check. :D :oops:

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:47 am

I’d like to see the option of having multiple FM paths be simultaneously active. The button control for engaging more than one path could be implemented in the same as selecting multiple synths - by holding down the first button and pressing the other(s) that one wants to engage.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:07 am

psionic11 wrote:Allow a modulation to increase the oscillator level beyond 100%.
Hi psionic11,

That's already easy to do:

MOD Source = CONSTANT Value = any number from +1% to +300%
MOD Destination = MIXER OSC 1 Level

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:11 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
psionic11 wrote:Allow a modulation to increase the oscillator level beyond 100%.
Hi psionic11,

That's already easy to do:

MOD Source = CONSTANT Value = any number from +1% to +300%
MOD Destination = MIXER OSC 1 Level
That would work on paper, but the level stops increasing as you raise it.
I think the idea here was to be able to hit the mixer/filter harder with the signal.

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:49 pm

I’d like to see the option to have the octave transpose buttons be either instantaneous (as they currently are) or to only transpose upon playing the next note (or releasing the previous note).

Euxine

Post by Euxine » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:19 pm

1) Sine waves pre-modulation for cleaner FM

2) FM across synth layers (but I guess you could try this with the inserts?)

2) Multiple (even just 2) effects per synth w/serial or parallel options (seems like the screen is implying this for later)

3) Animation of waveshapes on Osc LCD + Osc More Panel / anything being modulated (i.e. envelopes, filters, etc) (could be a global option)

4) Have said elsewhere, but assignable -10v to 10v CV settings

5) 1v/oct CV outputs mapping to key presses

6) Pan-per-voice (or is that already possible?) rather than just pan per synth

7) MIDI-accessible 'expert' control settings per synth (octave, x/y input override from external source per synth, etc)

8) Arrow keys on USB keyboard work to navigate around centre console (at least in a save / notes context)?

9) NOT-feature request - anything that breaks the UI logic too much for the sake of flexibility. I realise that may be in contrast to some of the feature requests above :wink:

Euxine

Post by Euxine » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:20 pm

OOH maybe ableton link integration (but would require being able to plug in a wi-fi host somehow?)

MC

Post by MC » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:10 am

The Voyager has an INIT PATCH function.

Can one be programmed on the MO such that INIT PATCH plays "JUMP"? :lol:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

PhilAiken

Post by PhilAiken » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:55 pm

I get why the inserts are necessarily post filter for polyphonic patches. It would be SO great to have it be available pre-filter for monophonic patches. I do not know that this is physically possible, but if it is, please consider it. My already solid love for the Voyager kicked up a few hundred percent when I started using that insert. While the One is not designed primarily to be a mono synth, since it is tri-timbral, and since there is a mono button on the front panel, it is nice to be able to maximize the range of that facet of the instrument as much as possible.