Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer

Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:38 pm

One of the most potentially fun features on One is its TRANSFORM parameter, available in each and every MOD.

It can perform a math function (and other things) on the final output value of a MOD.

For example, here are some current TRANSFORMs:

LIMIT LOW
Setting a Limit Low value will prevent the output of that MOD from ever going lower than that Limit Low value.
It lets you make the output values a straight line with an elbow bend upward starting at the Limit Low value and above.

LIMIT HIGH
Setting a Limit High value will prevent the output of that MOD from ever going higher than that Limit High value.
It allows the output values to climb upward and then levels them out at the Limit High value and above.

SQUARED
This takes the output of the MOD and multiplies it by itself to create an exponential curve.

CUBED
This takes the output of the MOD and multiplies it by itself twice to create a more exaggerated exponential curve.

Now you add some requests.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _
User avatar
_DemonDan_
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby MC » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 pm

I vote for lag processors. Good for transforming a square LFO waveshape into trapezoidal, which is a useful waveshape. Also good for transforming S&H into smoothed S&H. The CP251 has lag processors.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi
User avatar
MC
 
Posts: 2828
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Secluded Tranquil Country

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby Marzzz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Absolutely +1 on the lag processor- it also works great for smoothing out aftertouch response.
Marzzz
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:41 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:10 pm

MC wrote:I vote for lag processors. Good for transforming a square LFO waveshape into trapezoidal, which is a useful waveshape. Also good for transforming S&H into smoothed S&H. The CP251 has lag processors.

Yep, those are already on the future request list as Slew, Slew Up, and Slew Down.

Plus... each of the four LFOs already have their own Smoothing parameter from 0% to 100%.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _
User avatar
_DemonDan_
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Marzzz wrote:Absolutely +1 on the lag processor- it also works great for smoothing out aftertouch response.

Yup, Slew Up, and Slew Down were specifically requested for making Aftertouch smooth when pressing down yet not slam shut when you lift your hand off the keys.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _
User avatar
_DemonDan_
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby drogoff » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:13 pm

All the stuff the old Oberheim XPander and Matrix 12 could do with their tracking generators.
drogoff
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby MC » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:20 pm

+1 on tracking generator
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi
User avatar
MC
 
Posts: 2828
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Secluded Tranquil Country

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby PhilAiken » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:33 am

In addition to setting limits on the output of the modulation, it would be useful to limit/scale the modulation source. Using aftertouch as an example -
what one might want to do is to ignore all aftertouch being sent from the keyboard up to a certain value, and then have it kick in from zero to 127 beginning at that point. Not sure if I am explaining that well, but you don't want to only hear aftertouch affecting the pitch starting at a certain non-zero amount, you want to hear the affect coming in beginning at zero, but only starting when you press a key a certain amount.
This will be particularly useful if/when MPE and PolyAT are implemented using something like a Roli Seaboard which is almost always transmitting AT.
PhilAiken
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 am

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby Quatschmacher » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:37 am

PhilAiken wrote:In addition to setting limits on the output of the modulation, it would be useful to limit/scale the modulation source. Using aftertouch as an example -
what one might want to do is to ignore all aftertouch being sent from the keyboard up to a certain value, and then have it kick in from zero to 127 beginning at that point. Not sure if I am explaining that well, but you don't want to only hear aftertouch affecting the pitch starting at a certain non-zero amount, you want to hear the affect coming in beginning at zero, but only starting when you press a key a certain amount.
This will be particularly useful if/when MPE and PolyAT are implemented using something like a Roli Seaboard which is almost always transmitting AT.


This sounds very similar to a suggestion I made on the Sub37 page. If I understand correctly (and using 7-bit values as an example) you want to have the full modulation range (0-127) of, say, OSC1 pitch controlled by aftertouch; the aftertouch would then be only active in a limited range, say 64-127, so that (in this example) modulation would only kick in from an aftertouch value of 64 and be scaled 1:2.

This could be combined with the upper and lower limit parameters to create “dead zones” on say the mod wheel where part of its travel affects one parameter and another part of its travel affects a different parameter.
Quatschmacher
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby MC » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Quatschmacher wrote:
PhilAiken wrote:In addition to setting limits on the output of the modulation, it would be useful to limit/scale the modulation source. Using aftertouch as an example -
what one might want to do is to ignore all aftertouch being sent from the keyboard up to a certain value, and then have it kick in from zero to 127 beginning at that point. Not sure if I am explaining that well, but you don't want to only hear aftertouch affecting the pitch starting at a certain non-zero amount, you want to hear the affect coming in beginning at zero, but only starting when you press a key a certain amount.
This will be particularly useful if/when MPE and PolyAT are implemented using something like a Roli Seaboard which is almost always transmitting AT.


This sounds very similar to a suggestion I made on the Sub37 page. If I understand correctly (and using 7-bit values as an example) you want to have the full modulation range (0-127) of, say, OSC1 pitch controlled by aftertouch; the aftertouch would then be only active in a limited range, say 64-127, so that (in this example) modulation would only kick in from an aftertouch value of 64 and be scaled 1:2.

This could be combined with the upper and lower limit parameters to create “dead zones” on say the mod wheel where part of its travel affects one parameter and another part of its travel affects a different parameter.


The tracking generator can do that.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi
User avatar
MC
 
Posts: 2828
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Secluded Tranquil Country

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby Quatschmacher » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 pm

MC wrote:
Quatschmacher wrote:
PhilAiken wrote:In addition to setting limits on the output of the modulation, it would be useful to limit/scale the modulation source. Using aftertouch as an example -
what one might want to do is to ignore all aftertouch being sent from the keyboard up to a certain value, and then have it kick in from zero to 127 beginning at that point. Not sure if I am explaining that well, but you don't want to only hear aftertouch affecting the pitch starting at a certain non-zero amount, you want to hear the affect coming in beginning at zero, but only starting when you press a key a certain amount.
This will be particularly useful if/when MPE and PolyAT are implemented using something like a Roli Seaboard which is almost always transmitting AT.


This sounds very similar to a suggestion I made on the Sub37 page. If I understand correctly (and using 7-bit values as an example) you want to have the full modulation range (0-127) of, say, OSC1 pitch controlled by aftertouch; the aftertouch would then be only active in a limited range, say 64-127, so that (in this example) modulation would only kick in from an aftertouch value of 64 and be scaled 1:2.

This could be combined with the upper and lower limit parameters to create “dead zones” on say the mod wheel where part of its travel affects one parameter and another part of its travel affects a different parameter.


The tracking generator can do that.


You may need to explain that to me as I don’t know what that is.
Quatschmacher
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby drogoff » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Quatschmacher wrote:
MC wrote:
Quatschmacher wrote:
PhilAiken wrote:In addition to setting limits on the output of the modulation, it would be useful to limit/scale the modulation source. Using aftertouch as an example -
what one might want to do is to ignore all aftertouch being sent from the keyboard up to a certain value, and then have it kick in from zero to 127 beginning at that point. Not sure if I am explaining that well, but you don't want to only hear aftertouch affecting the pitch starting at a certain non-zero amount, you want to hear the affect coming in beginning at zero, but only starting when you press a key a certain amount.
This will be particularly useful if/when MPE and PolyAT are implemented using something like a Roli Seaboard which is almost always transmitting AT.


This sounds very similar to a suggestion I made on the Sub37 page. If I understand correctly (and using 7-bit values as an example) you want to have the full modulation range (0-127) of, say, OSC1 pitch controlled by aftertouch; the aftertouch would then be only active in a limited range, say 64-127, so that (in this example) modulation would only kick in from an aftertouch value of 64 and be scaled 1:2.

This could be combined with the upper and lower limit parameters to create “dead zones” on say the mod wheel where part of its travel affects one parameter and another part of its travel affects a different parameter.


The tracking generator can do that.


You may need to explain that to me as I don’t know what that is.


Lots of info here: https://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/arturia-matrix-12-v-reviewed It basically lets you set up some break points to map some input (e.g. pressure) to some output (e.g. filter cutoff)
drogoff
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby lushr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:25 pm

I don’t even think I know what a transform is. But I remember you Demon Dan from these forums when I got the sub 37. You were a genuine quality person. And now I’ve figured out who you are I am not surprised at all!
___________________________________________________
LP Stage II, LE Sub37 and One 16 voice on the way
lushr
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby jmcecil » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:07 am

excellent ... slew/lag is one of the questions we asked during one of the deep dives. Good to hear it's coming for sure.
jmcecil
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Moog One TRANSFORM Requests

Postby _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:50 pm

lushr wrote:I don’t even think I know what a transform is.

Hi lushr,
Think of it as a tool kit filled with little math functions. The math is applied to the final output value of that MOD.

So, as an easy example:

Source = Key Pitch
Value = 100%

Destination = Ladder Filter
Low Pass Cutoff

In this case, every key that you play higher will make the Filter Cutoff open the same amount, giving you the same tone regardless of how high or low the note is.

But, let's say that, any notes above a certain key start to get too bright. So, you add:

Source = Key Pitch Value = 100%
Transform =Limit Low Value = 80%
Destination = Ladder Filter - Low Pass Cutoff

Now... when your MOD tracking of the key number gets to 80%, it will just pin at 80%, no matter how much higher you go.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _
User avatar
_DemonDan_
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Next

Return to Moog One

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests