Moog One Answers

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
_DemonDan_

Re: Moog One Answers

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:15 pm

jmcecil wrote:Hi Dan, thanks a million for the deep dives and extra info. It is clearly stated that the Main Outs L/R are balanced. But, it seems like the Sub Outs L/R may be just TS? Can you confirm if the Sub Outs L/R are balanced or not?
Hi jmceci,

Both the Main and Sub L/R Outs are TRS 1/4" Balanced. Thanks!
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am

Much appreciated!

hendrkf

Post by hendrkf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 am

Can you have multiple layers (each one with different tri-timbral synth patches) active at once? e.g. On a 16 voice Moog One, have three different layers, each with three different synth patches), each layer assigned to 5 voices.

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:31 am

hendrkf wrote:Can you have multiple layers (each one with different tri-timbral synth patches) active at once? e.g. On a 16 voice Moog One, have three different layers, each with three different synth patches), each layer assigned to 5 voices.
that's a little hard to read, but that sounds like requesting a 9 synth configuration... I think you build 1 patch per synth, so 3 different sounds that can be layered and or split. But, probably like a mono, there will be ways to cheater some additional voicings out of a single synth patch.

hendrkf

Post by hendrkf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:38 am

You read correctly. I was essentially defining a 9 synth sound (3 layers, each layer with a 3 synth patch, each layer getting a 5 voice allocation) . Would this be possible?

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:41 am

hendrkf wrote:You read correctly. I was essentially defining a 9 synth sound (3 layers, each layer with a 3 synth patch, each layer getting a 5 voice allocation) . Would this be possible?
Although Dan would know for sure, from what I've seen of the architecture the answer would be no. It's 3 "sounds".

Gomjab

Post by Gomjab » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:24 pm

jmcecil wrote:
hendrkf wrote:You read correctly. I was essentially defining a 9 synth sound (3 layers, each layer with a 3 synth patch, each layer getting a 5 voice allocation) . Would this be possible?
Although Dan would know for sure, from what I've seen of the architecture the answer would be no. It's 3 "sounds".
I agree that each of the three synth parts can have a single patch. However watch the first sound design livestream for an excellent example of using filter tracking with both filters to create what sounds like a split from a single part. Also I believe that note number can be a modulation source so there are a number of tricks that can be used to create all kinds of sonic diversity!

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Gomjab wrote: However watch the first sound design livestream for an excellent example of using filter tracking with both filters to create what sounds like a split from a single part.
Yeah, this is what I meant about cheater methods to achieve pseudo multitimbrality. I'm really looking forward to hear what some of those synth programmer geniuses do with that.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:40 pm

MC wrote:Will there be an easter egg "light show" like the Memorymoog has?
When the band took a break I would turn the light show on and people noticed it.
Hi MC,
You know there's no way I'd let them get away with not putting a Lightshow switch on Moog One.
It will be there.

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Dan, could you possibly please nudge Moog about PolyAT response over MIDI (and MPE, I guess...). A bit more important to some of us than a light show.

Thanks!

lushr

Post by lushr » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:47 am

i think it will be poly AT over midi, the keyboard built in just isn’t poly AT. i’m pretty sure they said you would be able to attach a poly AT keyboard... maybe not at first release... might take time to get the firmware there.... maybe i hallucinated this.

i think this is too much synth for one keyboard anyway....wow what if they brought out a double keyboard version like the prophet 10or the YC -45 D combo organ!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:00 am

Marzzz wrote:Dan, could you possibly please nudge Moog about PolyAT response over MIDI (and MPE, I guess...).
You do know that Geert Bevin has a huge role in the development of Moog One, yes?

If you know that, and you know anything about Geert, you will be confident that Poly Aftertouch and MPE will be implemented, and that they will be implemented with great care.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:12 am

Gomjab wrote:
jmcecil wrote:
hendrkf wrote:You read correctly. I was essentially defining a 9 synth sound (3 layers, each layer with a 3 synth patch, each layer getting a 5 voice allocation). Would this be possible?
I agree that each of the three synth parts can have a single patch. However watch the first sound design livestream for an excellent example of using filter tracking with both filters to create what sounds like a split from a single part. Also I believe that note number can be a modulation source so there are a number of tricks that can be used to create all kinds of sonic diversity!
I'm with both of you on this. On one hand, all of the audio sources of a single Synth have to share one or both Filters, and they all join at the VCA.

On the other hand, there are many clever modulation tricks available on Moog One to make the five internal audio sources (OSCs 1-3, Noise, and Ring Mod) seem somewhat independent: Wave Angle (per OSC), Noise Envelope, Mixer Levels, different Filter routings, Key Pitch Tracking, Limit Low and Limit High Transforms.

There are going to be clever hacks made on One for a very long time. and it will be very easy to share them:-)

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:33 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:If you know that, and you know anything about Geert, you will be confident that Poly Aftertouch and MPE will be implemented, and that they will be implemented with great care.
Dan,

Thanks for the reply! I just have had a couple of bad (re: expensive) experiences regarding analog polysynths I purchased over the years that were "going to have updates to include MIDI response to Polyaftertouch" which ended up never happening. I have several controllers that transmit PolyAT, and am looking forward to using them with the Moog One.

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:48 pm

people are talking about seeing stuck notes on this video, have you noticed this Dan? are they aware of the problem? and will it be a firmware fix? or will it be an issue like the slim patty?