Moog One Answers

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
_DemonDan_

Re: Moog One Answers

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:35 pm

lushr wrote:people are talking about seeing stuck notes on this video, have you noticed this Dan? are they aware of the problem? and will it be a firmware fix?
Hi lushr,
There's a lot going on in a Moog One, with three Synths, three Arps, and three Sequencers, all running at once. Each of the little gremlins that initially arise from this level of complexity have either been fixed, or are quickly being fixed.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:45 pm

thank you Dan!

just waiting for mine to arrive on a ship....

Synthient Sound

Post by Synthient Sound » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:00 am

Hey Dan,
On the livestream the Moog guys said the manual would be out yesterday. My Moog One arrives tomorrow and I was hoping to do some reading today! :D

When will the manual be released?

(btw, thanks for your deep dives and I really look forward to reading your work in the manual).

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:54 pm

As a bass player I mostly use monophonic instruments but use many other synths for drones and such while playing. Since the oscillators can provide so many more voices on the ONE I am leaning towards purchasing one anyway as a super-synth that can do everything I need it to do.

What I need to know is if the oscillators are made to be purposefully thinner than monophonic synths (as many polyphonics are) to make the polyphonic sound work? Would a single ONE oscillator be as fat as a single oscillator on say the Model D reissue or sub 37 etc?

Thanks.

lushr

Post by lushr » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:36 pm

franklinstower wrote:As a bass player I mostly use monophonic instruments but use many other synths for drones and such while playing. Since the oscillators can provide so many more voices on the ONE I am leaning towards purchasing one anyway as a super-synth that can do everything I need it to do.

What I need to know is if the oscillators are made to be purposefully thinner than monophonic synths (as many polyphonics are) to make the polyphonic sound work? Would a single ONE oscillator be as fat as a single oscillator on say the Model D reissue or sub 37 etc?

Thanks.

hey franklinstower, the advantage of a poly synth is the Unison. so the unison setting on my old korg poly six is bigger sounding than my little phatty or sub 37. but the poly six is quite tame compared to the potentially overdriven sounds you can get out of the moog, but the recent videos moog has put out of the presets, shows that the moog one not only has unison, it also has that really driven sound, but you do actively have to turn everything up, because by default, as you say it is designed to work well with many voices. hope this helps?

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 am

lushr wrote:
franklinstower wrote:As a bass player I mostly use monophonic instruments but use many other synths for drones and such while playing. Since the oscillators can provide so many more voices on the ONE I am leaning towards purchasing one anyway as a super-synth that can do everything I need it to do.

Thanks.

hey franklinstower, the advantage of a poly synth is the Unison. so the unison setting on my old korg poly six is bigger sounding than my little phatty or sub 37. but the poly six is quite tame compared to the potentially overdriven sounds you can get out of the moog, but the recent videos moog has put out of the presets, shows that the moog one not only has unison, it also has that really driven sound, but you do actively have to turn everything up, because by default, as you say it is designed to work well with many voices. hope this helps?

Yes that does help actually. Thank you.

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:11 pm

lushr wrote: Frequency modulation (FM)
I’m not sure I understand this parameter in an analogue synth. To me it’s about running another high frequency against your other oscillators. Which creates strobing audio effects like ring mod and cross mod. But on the other hand I know that DX7 were “fm” synths with “operators” I’m guessing based on the same principle with lots of maths involved. So where does the moog one sit with this parameter? Can it be described to me as a layperson?
I found this video helpful in getting to grips with linear FM:
https://youtu.be/9_LvPz6kCQE

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Hey Dan or Moog!
I just hooked mine up and the keybed is glorious!
Anyhow, I have several moogerfoogers. I'm trying to hook the MF-103 phaser in stereo, but it only processes the L side even if I go Aux out of the MF-103 with a TRS cable back to Insert 2. Basically instead of doing a sum, it seems only 1 insert can be active per synth, so the stereo side (R) can't be turned on without using a different synth. At least that's how it seems. Do you have a suggestion?

I'm going TRS Y cable from insert 1 to the Main in and Out on the 103. I'm using a TRS 1/4" coming back from the Aux out to Insert 2.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 pm

jmcecil,

Why not just run a sub out from the One to your 103, then main out and aux out from the 103 into a mixer where you blend it with the One?

Stephen

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:52 am

Vsyevolod wrote:jmcecil,

Why not just run a sub out from the One to your 103, then main out and aux out from the 103 into a mixer where you blend it with the One?

Stephen
Trying to stay within a foot or so of the one. It's a long run to the mixer :D

I think someone else has given me the answer ... and it's DUHHHH obvious in retrospect.

The out on the 103 is unbalanced, so the signal will be on the tip ... which is the send on the MO.
So, just using a TS cable and popping it in far enough for the tip of the cable to click into the Ring of the insert should do the trick. I can't try it for awhile. But, it seems correct.
Last edited by jmcecil on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:53 am

jmcecil wrote:I'm trying to hook the MF-103 phaser in stereo, but it only processes the L side even if I go Aux out of the MF-103 with a TRS cable back to Insert 2. Basically instead of doing a sum, it seems only 1 insert can be active per synth, so the stereo side (R) can't be turned on without using a different synth. At least that's how it seems. Do you have a suggestion?

I'm going TRS Y cable from insert 1 to the Main in and Out on the 103. I'm using a TRS 1/4" coming back from the Aux out to Insert 2.
Hi jmcecil,
There are so many things to try, and this is something I have not tried yet. My understanding is that it was designed to allow Return pairs 1+2 and 3+4 to be panned hard L/R.

I'm away from my Moog for a few days (visiting one of my kids in college), but I will play with that when I get back. (I have all the MoogerFoogers.)

jmcecil

Post by jmcecil » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:21 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:There are so many things to try, and this is something I have not tried yet. My understanding is that it was designed to allow Return pairs 1+2 and 3+4 to be panned hard L/R.
I'm away from my Moog for a few days (visiting one of my kids in college), but I will play with that when I get back. (I have all the MoogerFoogers.)
Enjoy your trip Dan, I think I have the answer ... I'll post back to let folks know if it is indeed the answer.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:43 am

lushr wrote:thank you Dan!

just waiting for mine to arrive on a ship....
Please let me know when it arrives.

jdkJake

Post by jdkJake » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:44 pm

This may have already been asked, but, does anyone know if there is a way to copy a preset between user spaces directly? Without exporting to a USB stick and then subsequently importing?

Thanks.
—jk—

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:07 pm

jdkJake wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to copy a preset between User Spaces directly? Without exporting to a USB stick and then subsequently importing? Thanks.
Hi jdkJake,

I don't think there currently is a way to do that.
But I can see why it could be convenient.

If you don't mind, ask for it in the Feature Request thread.
That's the best way of getting it in front of the Moog Engineers.