Moog One ?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Kirneh Ness

Re: Moog One ?

Post by Kirneh Ness » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:54 pm

MC wrote: Analog synths are NOT supposed to do piano sounds, but I figured out how :)
And yet, Chick makes a very "pianistic" demo. Sweeeeet!!!!
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

timmy

Post by timmy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Honestly, I was not digging the sounds of the Moog One at first. But after watching the Amos videos I am on board.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 am

2019 Synth of the Year ... Moog Won.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:26 pm

My personal opinion is that this Moog One will probably the make-or-break polysynth for Moog Music Inc. Much like the Memorymoog was, over 35 years ago.

First, at this high a price point, not everyone can afford it. And it's already showing signs of instabilities in some demos (to be supposedly addressed in upcoming firmware revisions, but all know how that goes) and it has an internal cooling fan, which hints at eventual heat problems. Only time will tell if this one will be more reliable than its predecessor.

I've had two Moog Music products (Voyager Old School, and Voyager Electric Blue) and both have had some electronic component fail at some point. One the first (LFO section failed) was fixed under warranty, the second (panel backlight) not.
I sold them both and got my hands on a 1975 Minimoog D, the real thing. And it still works flawlessly and sounds a heck of a lot better then the Voyagers.

So, even though the One does offer a LOT of stuff, I'm not at all convinced of its sounds so far. Reminds me of those Voyagers. Maybe my opinion might change once I hear it and test it myself. But again, I doubt it.
Anyway, since I live in Canada (just next door to the USA) Moog Music Inc will not allow US based stores to sell and ship a Moog One outside the US (pretty damn stupid sales policy from Moog). So I'll have to wait until they arrive in Canadian stores, probably next spring, to try one.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:59 pm

thealien666 wrote:...and it has an internal cooling fan, which hints at eventual heat problems.
Hi thealien666,
Moog One has 24 or 48 analog oscillators. It must have a fan. The fan really isn't a hint of anything other than the fact that the synth with a fan can be used in more environments than it can without a fan. I'd be far more worried about heating problems if it didn't have a fan.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 pm

Great Scott, FedEx just sent a text that says ... Hooked On Sonics, this Tranquility Base, Moog One arrives at your studio tomorrow. Count Down landing engines on, T minus 16 hours, satellite tracking engaged. After tomorrow, Stadiums will fall :D :D :D
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:28 am

Alain,
Is it realistic for you to drive to a US store and bring one back?

I really want one but then I'd have to remove myself from the VCS3 list. In the long run I think that would be a poor decision.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:17 pm

EricK wrote:Alain,
Is it realistic for you to drive to a US store and bring one back?
Hello Eric.

No, not really.

Regardless, we will eventually get units in a Montreal music store called Moog Audio (not related to Moog Music Inc in any way).

That being said, my initial excitement is dwindling down after each demo I see/hear of the One. It reminds me too much of the Voyager as far as overall tone is concerned. I didn't like my Old School (which I quickly sold when I got a Minimoog D).
A Memorymoog this One doesn't seem to be, unfortunately. I don't know what exactly, but it's missing something. No timbre so far gave me goose bumps. My DSI OB6 can do that quickly and easily without much efforts, and it's only a very basic 6 voice polysynth. Impressive specs aren't always everything. Maybe that could perhaps change when I can finally get my hands on a demo unit and hear it in person ?

And it's not because I couldn't afford a $12K CAD Moog One. I already own other expensive synths,

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion