Moog One ?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
MC

Re: Moog One ?

Post by MC » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:38 pm

I blame the Russians :wink:
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

timmy

Post by timmy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:48 pm

I doubt Moog will sell too many if the high prices mentioned are real. In a market where DSI is offer the equivalent (or better) for so much less cost, even the die hards might be a bit turned off.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:23 pm

I own a DSI REV2 16 voice polysynth. And, although on paper it does offer a lot, in reality the sound just isn't on par with a possible 3 oscillators per voice Moog, with 16 of the the famous ladder filter.

The Behringer DeepMind 12 (which I also happen to have) sounds great too, when used with Unison-2 mode set to ON (effectively cutting the 12 voice polyphony in half but adding a second oscillator per voice), and its filters are smoother than the DSI ones of the Curtis chip. But it's only a 12 db/oct one.

The DSI OB6 (another synth that I own), which is a bit expensive but still far from the projected price point of the 8 voices Moog One, but offers only 6 voices and at 2 oscillators per voice, is also a great machine with a superb sound. But it doesn't have enough voices, and only 2 osc.

So you see, if indeed this project does exist and is on the verge of being a reality, I wouldn't mind the price point of an equivalent, fragile, vintage Memorymoog offering only 6 voices and a lot less modulation routings...

The only real contender for now, that really exists but in very limited quantity, is The River from Baloran SAS from France which combines 8 Moog The Source clones into a box with modern digital control and modulation possibilities. But it's only a 2 oscillators per voice with 8 voice for $5K (4200 €) and is not even available now because it's assemble by hand by one man, and the first batch isn't even all built yet.

(NOTE: all expressed opinions above are my own and don't necessarily reflect everyone else's who happen to own the same machines. TIFWIW)
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:40 pm

timmy wrote:I doubt Moog will sell too many if the high prices mentioned are real. In a market where DSI is offer the equivalent (or better) for so much less cost, even the die hards might be a bit turned off.
IMO, if this is all true, Moog won't have a problem selling them, they'll have problem keeping up with the demand. Your honor, let the record state an average project manager in the US with a PPM and Master degree makes around $170,000 a year, plus quarterly bonuses, there are MILLIONS of PM's in the US. Now lets say half of them are Synth enthusiast, Moogs gonna be VERY BUSY. Heeeeey, Hoooo, Molly, show me the Poly, Heeey Hooo :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:42 pm

MC wrote:I blame the Russians :wink:
I think Moog will be blaming these Russians for the leak :twisted:
Attachments
madtini_black_and_white_russians.jpg
Last edited by HookedOnSonics on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:24 pm

I'd love the idea !

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Ask Jareth for his take on the board and he mentioned that there we're rumors circulating that Moog had requested for the services of one Dave Smith to help them build a Poly. Jareth also mentioned that it look like the buttons on the board pictures were in fact DSI related. It looks like the Deep Throat was a Sweetwater Sale Rep

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 pm

Pardon my ignorance but, who is this Jareth ?

But I have an idea about who that Sweetwater Sales Rep might be though... he's a member here also... a demonic one at that...Hehehe... :twisted:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:32 pm

thealien666 wrote:Pardon my ignorance but, who is this Jareth ?

But I have an idea about who that Sweetwater Sales Rep might be though... he's a member here also... a demonic one at that...Hehehe... :twisted:
Somethings "FISHY" about the whole thing, this had to be by accident, otherwise, why not leak it here, are we not LEAK WORTHY? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:46 pm

thealien666 wrote:Pardon my ignorance but, who is this Jareth ?
Jareth Lackey, owns Synthpro. Was sanctioned by Moog this year as a go to company for Moog repairs, restorations, etc... BRILLIANT engineer. If you have FB you'll see some of his worked shared here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/234912153348540/

This is his company https://synthpro.wixsite.com/synthrestore/gallery

I asked him is he knew what a Stave Variable Filter was (It was mentioned in the Slutz leak, which must have been a misprint). I also asked him if he knew anything about a Poly in the works and this was his reply ...:

Jareth say on the Stave Variable Filter; I have not, I have heard the term State Variable filter where the filter can be selected to different styles such as Low, Band, High, and Notch filtering. I had heard a lot of rumors that Moog was hiring Dave Smith to build them a polysynth but not sure all the details....wouldn't surprise me if they did this.

Allot of this is adding up. I remember Moog inviting Dave Smith to Moogfest 2017 to receive some kind of award and i thought then Dave might be in picture and i really believed Moog was going to announce the Poly last year, Red Moon, Stars Align, that sort of thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gonna be real interesting how the Moog JUCE interface plays a part in this.
Last edited by HookedOnSonics on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:07 am

HookedOnSonics wrote:
timmy wrote:I doubt Moog will sell too many if the high prices mentioned are real. In a market where DSI is offer the equivalent (or better) for so much less cost, even the die hards might be a bit turned off.
IMO, if this is all true, Moog won't have a problem selling them, they'll have problem keeping up with the demand. Your honor, let the record state an average project manager in the US with a PPM and Master degree makes around $170,000 a year, plus quarterly bonuses, there are MILLIONS of PM's in the US. Now lets say half of them are Synth enthusiast, Moogs gonna be VERY BUSY. Heeeeey, Hoooo, Molly, show me the Poly, Heeey Hooo :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wao... You are lucky! Those figures are far from reality in Europe.
In France for example, you can divide this by at least a factor 3...
The market for such a synth here would be extremely limited to say the least...
I personally know no musician/ no enthusiast who could afford to pay the price of a car for a synth...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:35 am

vwizz wrote:In France for example, you can divide this by at least a factor 3...
The market for such a synth here would be extremely limited to say the least...
True ;)
HookedOnSonics wrote:Gonna be real interesting how the Moog JUCE interface plays a part in this.
JUCE / PROJUCER are not MoogMusic tools. AFAIK.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:22 am

Indeed, the JUCE library is the property of ROLI Ltd in England.

But it could possibly be licensed to Moog Music ? I don't know.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:42 pm

Your honor, we present exhibit one, well sort of :twisted:

https://trademarks.justia.com/875/50/moog-87550824.html

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Seems this thread is possibly getting some legs under it. The guy an Gearslutz who leaked it is supposed to be a dealer who was given inside info and first crack at selling the synths when they come out. Even though I wont need one of the babys I got to say I am very excited for Moog and wish upon them great success in this possible endevour.