Moog One ?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
thealien666

Re: Moog One ?

Post by thealien666 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:38 pm

I didn't see the words: "chords", or "polyphony", or "simultaneous multiple frequencies" anywhere in that trademark application... But then again, it's just for the name Moog One, not really a patent application for the device itself...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:44 am

Hope trumps new trade war with the rest of the world won't make the one 25% more expensive in europa
Difficult times for marketing a new product it seems

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:25 am

sunny pedaal wrote:Hope trumps new trade war with the rest of the world won't make the one 25% more expensive in europa
Well, per Moog's latest call for abolishment of tariffs on China https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u= ... a2684e1453, they may even move to Europe. So we might start getting Moogs cheaper? :P (And quality products should be quality products irrespective of latitude and longitude of final production place.)

Ah, the magics of trade wars :roll:
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

Rob Smith

Post by Rob Smith » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:09 am

If they moved to Denmark, They would have to be appointed to the Royal Danish Court........................... :D

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:11 pm

sunny pedaal wrote:Hope trumps new trade war with the rest of the world won't make the one 25% more expensive in europa
Mike Adams will just bilk Asheville for more money. He has done it before with Moogfest when they mismanaged and lost money. Asheville gave them a multimillion dollar grant when they moved into their new factory, too. I don't think the tariffs are the problem. I think Mike Adams and management might be the bigger problem to Moog's survival. Why don't the synth manufacturers just form a partnership group and lean on China to lower prices to them? They could group buy larger quantities of parts, too. Sadly, I received that Moog email on Friday and it just smacks of politics and bad management. Never mix politics with business, Mike. Bad stuff. Yikes.

Back to the thread! Has anyone heard more about the Moog One yet?
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Don't forget that analog synthesizers is a niche market and very small, so in order to survive small companies like Moog Music Inc and Dave Smith Instruments have to make a huge profits on each unit sold just to stay alive as a company...

Behringer is already in China and has its own factory there, naturally the production costs are already much lower for them, hence their lower priced products. Whereas DSI has to deal with an external contractor, LeeMAH Electronics a pcb supplier that has factories in California and China, to produce and populate the PCBs for them, at a cost. I believe that Moog Music is doing a similar thing in Asheville.

All things considered, things haven't changed much in the last 30 years except the technology. Back in 1975 the price of a Minimoog D was $1795 USD, which was quite expensive back then. A Prophet 5 in 1983 sold for about $4000 USD. Still a lot of money in those days.

So if that Moog One that will offer 8 voices sells for $6000 that won't be so bad.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:53 pm

timmy wrote:
Mike Adams will just bilk Asheville for more money. He has done it before with Moogfest when they mismanaged and lost money. Asheville gave them a multimillion dollar grant when they moved into their new factory, too. I don't think the tariffs are the problem. I think Mike Adams and management might be the bigger problem to Moog's survival. Why don't the synth manufacturers just form a partnership group and lean on China to lower prices to them? They could group buy larger quantities of parts, too. Sadly, I received that Moog email on Friday and it just smacks of politics and bad management. Never mix politics with business, Mike. Bad stuff. Yikes.

Back to the thread! Has anyone heard more about the Moog One yet?
I did not really view the Moog email about Chinese tariffs as a political move at all. It was a business move asking for the help of people who care about the company to try and do something to help the company stay in business. 25% on Chinese components is a big number and would effect any company that is doing business in the states and employing american workers at fair wages. This is a BIG part of why I support Moog and buy their products.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:51 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:
timmy wrote:I doubt Moog will sell too many if the high prices mentioned are real. In a market where DSI is offer the equivalent (or better) for so much less cost, even the die hards might be a bit turned off.
IMO, if this is all true, Moog won't have a problem selling them, they'll have problem keeping up with the demand. Your honor, let the record state an average project manager in the US with a PPM and Master degree makes around $170,000 a year, plus quarterly bonuses, there are MILLIONS of PM's in the US. Now lets say half of them are Synth enthusiast, Moogs gonna be VERY BUSY. Heeeeey, Hoooo, Molly, show me the Poly, Heeey Hooo :lol: :lol: :lol:
You must live in SF or NYC. In those places, that's just minimum wage, you'll be lucky to afford a hamburger once a year on that there.

In real world dollars, that translates to $50k-$80k/year, with bonuses very rare, I'm sorry to tell you! :)

Of course this whole thread is Maya anyways.

honeyears

Post by honeyears » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:28 pm

I am sure Moog are working on something. Their flagships have all been discontinued. They are certain to be making something special all this time.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Rumor has it, Moog One will be entering Earth's atmosphere in October?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Anyone else seen this patent for the Variable core VCOs that the Moog One is supposed to have?

Very exciting!

From what I understand based on the patent, it will be able to not only do the usual waveforms but also do wavefolding, as well as generate custom waveforms, and create custom waveforms that morph to other custom waveforms, through ingenious use of digitally generated cv to control the VCO. It is kind of mind blowing to me because I have never heard of a VCO that can do this.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20160335998.pdf
Voyager XL, Minitaur, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103,
MF-105m, MF-107, MF-108m, MP-201
Thomas Monticello 371 with Moog preset Synthesizer

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:02 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote:Rumor has it, Moog One will be entering Earth's atmosphere in October?
I will believe it when I see it. And I do hope that I see it in October.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:39 am

Sweetwater operators are hypothetically standing by. Orders are now Hypothetically being taken ... Ground Control to Moog One. Commencing Count Down Engines on. Take your Poly Protien Pills and Put your Headsets On ... T-Minus 10, 9, 8, 7, ...
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:41 am

Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Yes
Looks great !