Does 1.5 sound better?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Sugar

Does 1.5 sound better?

Post by Sugar » Fri May 27, 2022 4:16 pm

I updated to 1.5, performed all the calibration routines, started playing the new Lisa Bella Donna's presets and... M1 has never sounded so good and alive. The sound feels cleaner and more open (brighter), with more detail. The new presets are so beautifully balanced. On the other hand the long time favorite Jamie Morden's banks now feel a bit too bright and somewhat piercing, as if designed on a darker sounding instrument... Different than before.

Is it just my confirmation bias or the new calibration is making a real difference for you as well?

Matthias Adloff

Re: Does 1.5 sound better?

Post by Matthias Adloff » Sat May 28, 2022 8:19 am

That's an interesting question! I never enjoyed the marvellous Moog One more than after this update (yes and the voice card calibrations). It might be subjective, since already the faster UI and all small stability fixes mean a greater joy and usability of this best synth ever. But hey, yes: I also think it actually sounds better than ever before.

EDIT: I think I'll check this later by comparing DAW recordings from 1.4 with new ones.
EDIT #2: It appears to be a tad brighter in comparison to the "old" recordings. IMHO both the ladder and the SVF seem to open wider in the higher frequencies. The bass range seems to be identical, just a little... snappier?? I don't know. However, that is all good news - less shelving filters needed in production to clean up the mud! This is no "breaking change" where you couldn't use your old presets anymore; the opposite is true. The M1 offers a slightly wider range now.

Blackryder

Post by Blackryder » Sun May 29, 2022 4:22 pm

For me, I think it may just be because my synth is FINALLY in tune (I ran the voice calibration routine in 1.4, back when it was still "secret", to no avail, so I think they've improved it with this new release), but it 100 percent sounds better!
And those new Lisa BellaDonna presets are just.... really really good haha. I'm pretty impressed with her programming skills.

MaxMaxMax

Post by MaxMaxMax » Mon May 30, 2022 3:52 am

I loved the sound of m one, i only buy it to make my own sounds / patch. I was very doubtful about 1.5 and calibration, because i liked a lot with 1,.4 and i did a lot of patches i liked. Well i did the 1.5 and no, imo it sounds more "drived" a little harmonic distortion on the highs i really don't like. More bass and some more "focused" but definitively i'm thinking ill do a downgrae at the moment.

Vincent Cordonnier

Post by Vincent Cordonnier » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:20 pm

The sound of the Moog one is really brighter but less smooth with this last update ?
I have this synth for a month and I hesitate to change, as I suppose I could get the new presets without updating.
Hi from France ! Vincent

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:12 pm

It appears to me that the mixer section inputs allow more gain than before which allows a bit more drive and can distort the filter inputs. (FYI, that was some of the "magic" which resulted from the design mistake in the old Model D.) The overdrive causes some upper level harmonic distortion which can make it sound more complex, or "brighter" to some. If that's an issue on any particular patch, just dial back the mixer level a bit - gain staging - and problem solved. But it can give patches more character when used judiciously.
This and the better tuning are my 2 favorite parts of the updated firmware.
Unfortunately, a few of the bugs I really hoped they would fix, such as hanging midi notes and glitches when changing patches, have not been fixed. These 2 are real deal breakers for my use case. :cry: :evil:
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 12Pro, Ableton Live 10/64, RME UFX+, 2xMR816, MioXL, Expressionist, Cirklon, Analog Rytm Mk II, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

Vincent Cordonnier

Post by Vincent Cordonnier » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:32 pm

Thanks Alakzlazlo for such an explanation !
I have upgraded my moog one, and the sound is good ! Perhaps less creamy on some presets but I wonder if it's not my imagination.
Perhaps I ll come back to 1.4 for a while, just to check if my ears are not that bad...

I like some new presets and use them as a start for more sounds, in Vangelis style for instance !

Moog one is a work in progress !