Subsequent 37 mono out

Everything Sub.
VCO

Subsequent 37 mono out

Post by VCO » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:46 pm

The subsequent 37 has only one audio out unlike the moog voyager and the seq pro 3. Which are in stereo. Does this matter as far as the sonic signature of the sound. I know the original Minimoog model d had only one audio out as well.
I was wondering if you could tell the difference sonic wise since stereo is such a different sound than mono. I’ve heard the argument that guitars are mono and synths were mono way back and that stereo synths became more common after a certain year after reading an article on Reddit. Even the sequential prophet5 rev4 has one mono audio out and it’s polyphonic. They stayed pretty true to the original design even though they offered more contemporary features in the rev4. Was wondering why moog choose to make the subsequent 37 with one mono audio out instead of stereo?

MaxFerency

Re: Subsequent 37 mono out

Post by MaxFerency » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:21 am

The real question is what do you want to get from having a stereo out? If you changed the features on the Subsequent 37, it might make sense but with the current features I don't know if it would add much. For example the Matriarch has a stereo out but that's also because it has a stereo filter, stereo envelope config, and most notably a stereo ping-pong delay. All of those things are great for pads. EPs are stereo because the polyphony of the left side has the low end and the right side has the high end to simulate what it would feel like playing a real piano. But looking at the current features of the Subsequents, I would image the engineers considered it and then said, "what value does that add considering the extra cost?" It specializes in fat leads and basses that you'll likely pan where you want in the mix or double it to make it feel extra wide, but still that's not the same as stereo.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

VCO

Re: Subsequent 37 mono out

Post by VCO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:28 pm

Right I guess I’m conditioned because I have a lot of synths that are in stereo and of course thier sample based and of course there’s a big difference between a sample based synth and a true analog synth. And like you said polyphonic instruments are a different thing all together. Monophonic and paraphonic synths seem to serve a different purpose. I would think you would never see a workstation synth with one audio out it just isn’t inherent to thier design. And sample based synths try to emulate real acoustic instruments and are sampled in stereo. They each do what they do. Thier different and serve different purposes musically. Even the fender Rhodes was in mono even though they had the suitcase version which I think was in stereo and also had tremolo and 4 12s.