Subsequent CV 37 with CP251 and Moogerfoogers

Everything Sub.
Captainflint

Subsequent CV 37 with CP251 and Moogerfoogers

Post by Captainflint » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:06 am

Hi Moog Peoples !
I have the entire set of Moogerfoogers and a CP251. I was wondering if anyone had used them with their Subsequent 37 CV ? If so how did you connect them all up.
I’m not very literate with the CV aspects of these units , only every used the audio connections previously.
If anyone could advise and guide me through the process it would be greatly appreciated thank you.
The Moogerfoogers are beautiful sounding effects and I know I’ve not used them to even half of their abilities, so I would be very interested in linking them up with the CP251 to my Subsequent 37 CV and realise their true potential.
Thank you for reading, and greatly appreciate any input or advise, thank you. :D !
Best regards,
George (England).

hieronymous

Re: Subsequent CV 37 with CP251 and Moogerfoogers

Post by hieronymous » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:39 pm

Do you have the Moogerfooger manuals? They are written as instructional manuals, explaining the various CV applications and giving sample settings. Even though many of them are over 20 years old, they are still relevant, especially the CP-251 as far as CV - I had a lot of fun with it! Check out page 15+ in the manual:

https://api.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... cp-251.pdf

Of course, when the CP-251 came out, there were only four MFs, but you can still learn a lot about CV.

Captainflint

Post by Captainflint » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:17 pm

No I haven’t the original documents for the moogerfoogers/CP251 as I’ve collected them secondhand. I guess that the manuals are available on the Moog website, I’ll look and download, try to understand the principles involved. Thank you for the information.
If anyone has any recommendations regarding which moogerfoogers to use in combination with the Subsequent CV 37, and how to control the CV from the synth I’d be grateful.
There’s also the MIDI control to 3 of the moogerfoogers possible also. I appreciate that MIDI is totally different from CV control, but I’d be interested if anyone uses both protocols to achieve given functionality. Just keen to learn what’s possible. Many thanks.

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:39 pm

I've used the CP251 with my Sub 37 and a Moog MF Drive and MF Delay and they work great! The manual shared above would work great but I'd also image there are YouTube videos for the CP251 and the Moogerfoogers. The Subsequent 37 would basically work very similarly with patching the CV outs of the CP251 into the CV ins on the left side of the Subsequent 37. Experiment and you'll hear the affect. Have fun!
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

Captainflint

Post by Captainflint » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:51 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I do have the Minifooger set too and I had forgotten that they too can be controlled via CV ( albeit limited to that of the moogerfoogers). That would be a real ‘Moog fest’ with the Subsequent 37 CV coupled to the moogerfoogers and minifoogers via the CP251…. I’ll get them set up and experiment… still learning though, but I guess that’s half the fun :D !

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:30 am

That part of the fun for sure, don't be afraid to damage anything.
What did come out from your Voyager/VX/MoogerFoogers experiments? ;)

EDIT:
Here are a couple of videos showing the LP CV out option in action. Hope you'll find some inspiration there, but do not limit yourself to those :)
Little Phatty Control Voltage Output Modification
Little Phatty CV Output Modification

Captainflint

Post by Captainflint » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:10 am

Many thanks for the information, greatly appreciated. I’ll definitely have a look and play….

Just a question regarding the patch cables, do you use TRS or TS to connect the CV connections ? The Moog foot controllers (expression pedals) use TRS cables I think; so I was wondering which to use… I’m guessing it’s TRS for CV and TS for audio ?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:07 am

TS connectors have two points, one of which is for the ground and the other one for a signal, e.g. a monophonic audio signal.
TRS connectors have three points and can be used for stereo audio signal.

For CV, most of the time, you can use TS cables for CV. TRS cables are needed for CV deveices that need to be powered, e.g. an expression pedal only receives an input CV signal, attenuates it and sends the attenuated version back to the connector.

Captainflint

Post by Captainflint » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:57 am

Thanks for the update regarding the CV patch cables, much appreciated.
I have plenty of both types of cable and planning to get patching soon :D

Nirollet

Post by Nirollet » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:41 pm

Hi,

I use CP 251 with Minitaur and a MF 102, you have nice patching in the CP251 manual and you can find some descriptions also on youtube videos, I can make you a picture of the CP251 manual pages if you need
I deeply envy you to have the MF delay..

cheers

Captainflint

Post by Captainflint » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:44 am

Thank you for your kind offer of reproducing the manuals for me. I have though already downloaded all the Moogerfooger, Minifooger and CP251 manuals from the Moog website, but thank you for the offer.

Yes the MF-104M is a fantastic delay pedal.

I am though more of a guitarist than a synth player and It’s very common for guitarists to ‘collect’ effects pedals - it’s a sickness called ‘GAS’ :D

Delay is my favourite effect, as the tone from each pedal can be very different, thus providing a beautiful palette of musical colour.

I have quite a number of delay pedals, from very old analog ‘‘bucket brigade’ chip units to pristine sounding digital effects rack delays like the TC 2290 . Wonderful Tape machines like the Roland RE-201.

The MF-104M is one of my favourite though, I was lucky to have purchased it when the prices were still sensible.

The minifooger delay is also very good . Moog should build a new range of effects again, their quality is always above the rest !

If you want to get a sound close to the MF-104M try the Korg SD-3000, a beautiful sounding delay unit which is very flexible with frequency filtering and modulation , it also has a pre amp too, with MIDI but no CV unfortunately.

Good luck :D

Nirollet

Post by Nirollet » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:45 am

Yes but there are no CVs on the Korg Delay..

Captainflint

Post by Captainflint » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:02 am

Yes I said that in my comments, but the quality of the tone is in the pre amp in the circuit - as used by the Edge from U2 , in fact his guitar tech Dallas Schoo actually helped Korg design the pedal - https://www.korg.com/uk/products/effects/sdd3000_pedal/
It’s a very flexible pedal and although it cannot be controlled by CV it does have MIDI control.
The quality of the delay , functionality and tone is really above and beyond most pedals, even from Eventide, Strymon, Roland (Boss) et al. Definitely in my top three delay pedals of all time , it’s that pre amp circuit that grabs hold of your tone and injects life and soul into it, honestly it sounds great on any instrument, guitar or synth. Give one a try and you’ll be smiling like a Cheshire Cat ! 😁
Peace.

FeelinDank

Post by FeelinDank » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:21 pm

I’m coming from my own experiences having (1) Subsequent37 CV, (1) Sub37 Tribute, numerous multiples of each Moogerfooger (but not a single MF-101 haha), and no CP-251’s …first of all realize that the Sub37 CV has numerous internal options for CV sources to output (99% of the time I go for pitch tracking with the keyboard, but there are useful things besides that). As far as I understand and have read, the Sub37’s LFO’s are generated digitally and then filtered with some additional analog circuitry before they arrive at the CV Outs to make them “less digital, more smooth” …the Sub37 has been talked about as having poor hard sync sound due to the digital origin of it’s LFO’s (this is really only true when the LFO’s are well into the audio range …as slow LFO’s they are fantastic and useful). So you may not want to use the Subsequent37’s LFOs as a high range CV Out source (I don’t think they’re terrible, but they aren’t great outside of the Sub37 CV, but can always serve some purpose somewhere).

The main source of CV Output I use is the keyboard’s pitch, which is especially useful for every “Frequency” CV input on the Moogerfoogers with them (ideas: MF-101 as a “sine oscillator via full resonance” can roughly be key-tracked, though I read it tracks like crap; MF-102 can be pitch tracked (read the Lord of the Ring pdf thing for tips on this); MF-103 is a great comb filter to work with; MF-104m’s are decent pitch tracked (it is not a Karplus-Strong option however); MF-105m is also somewhat like the MF-103 here, just somewhat though; MF-107 mostly tracks well as a VCO (separate Oscillator out if you really want just that oscillator’s audio to work with); MF-108m, reference Sweetwater’s Daniel Fisher for sound examples of it being pitch tracked as a feed-back or feed-forward oscillator). I can tell you from experience the MF-102, MF-103, and MF-107’s are super fun to CV up with the Sub37 CV. I’d bet the MF-101 tracks decently over an octave. The MF-107’s can delve into some great formant and hard sync sounds when you track the oscillator to keyboard’s pitch and have another CV source modulate the “Wave” of the MF-107. The rarely talked about “Mix” input on the each Moogerfooger lets each pedal get into pseudo ring modulation territory (though it’s really not as “clean” as the MF-102 does it since there are different things going on)..

If that Korg delay has an expression pedal input there are non-CV options available to modulate it still. Lookup the TWA Side Step, it acts as an expression pedal LFO (and it has great options for its LFO’s wave). You could even mult it up into the CP-251 and have it modulate numerous Moogerfoogers in sync. Because it’s not CV, but expression pedal it won’t be able to go above or below where the knobs on the Moogerfoogers could possibly go …CV can do that for the Moogerfoogers but not expression.