Help me determine which to get! Thanks!!

Everything Sub.
Kenny Ames

Re: Help me determine which to get! Thanks!!

Post by Kenny Ames » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:10 pm

Right on.

Thanks for the reply.

It was 15 minutes in a music store with the BS II.

LOVED the lay out and the (for lack of a better description) way the hardware and software interacted. Was very intuitive. Also, I couldn’t argue with the footprint or the weight.

I certainly didn’t go too deep with it.

However, with our tweeking the Moog seemed to just have a more organic low that I didn’t get from the BS II. Not worse. Just different. Think the BS II is more versatile but looking for (mostly) a one trick pony. Would prefer something that does one thing great as apposed to something that does all of things well.

Honestly, around here (Nashville) the BS II’s are going for around $300 used and can pick one up at a music store for $375. With such a low price point, I WILL be getting one at some point. But probably not for my first bass synth. My wife and I are 2 payments from paying our home off. At that point, it’s gear time. 🙂

Certainly haven’t written off the BS II.

Thanks again.

MrChumley

Post by MrChumley » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:52 pm

You're welcome. Sadly we have quite a few years left on the mortgage :(

Kenny Ames

Post by Kenny Ames » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:37 pm

Well, the fact that you have a mortgage is a great thing in this climate. I don’t know how anyone can get into a first home at this point.

It became a goal for my wife and I about 5 yrs ago. We’ve hit it hard and are two payments from paying off our mortgage and being completely debt free. A lot of delayed gratification.

If you have any desire, the Dave Ramsey books are a great resource. 🙂👍

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:49 pm

You're most wlecome, glad to help :)

I agree that the difference between 2 and 3 octave keyboards is sometimes the fact you can use 2 octaves from any note to any other with no fear of reching the end of the board :D

The Minitaur is definitely the closest thing to a one-trick-pony in bass deptartment. Oh, one thing you should know is that it won't play any note above C5. Should do the job for bass parts but still it's worth mentioning it.
The feeling I have while playing an intrument is definitely something I pay a special attention to. In particular, I had a hard time on the BS2 when -shortly- trying it in that shop... while I had unexpected fun playing the LP few years before.

About the note layout (keyboard vs fretboard), being a keyboard player since my youngest years, I must say I also like the guitar or bass because some quite distant notes can be reached more easily than on a keyboard.
I was far more... thoughful -for lack of better word- when I realized that some instruments just don't display the notes physically, e.g. winds...

Anyway, keep us tuned on this advenure outcome :)

MrChumley

Post by MrChumley » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:05 pm

Kenny Ames wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:37 pm Well, the fact that you have a mortgage is a great thing in this climate. I don’t know how anyone can get into a first home at this point.
I know what you mean. I’m the same age as you and on my 9th house, but paying off the mortgage hasn’t always been a high priority. Between us we’ve got a couple of very nice cars, a fine horse and some great synths :mrgreen:

Kenny Ames

Post by Kenny Ames » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:15 am

Right on.

Definitely no right or wrong way.

Sounds you're living the good life!

Appreciate your input! :-)