Subsequent 37 - Local Control - DUO Mode Not working

Everything Sub.
benruiz74

Subsequent 37 - Local Control - DUO Mode Not working

Post by benruiz74 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:26 am

When I turn off the Keys in Local Control, it doesnt work in DUO mode. Keys are still playing when KEYS = "Off". Reading a Reddit post from 7 years ago., this was supposed to be resolved in a firmware update. Any solution?

stiiiiiiive

Re: Subsequent 37 - Local Control - DUO Mode Not working

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:29 am

Hello benruiz74.

Not sure to understand 100%, plus I don't have any S37 but here is a possible clue.
When you turn the local setting off for keys, it means that the keys will not control the synth internally. Rather they will only allow to send MIDI messages. If -with this setting made- you hear the synth playing, it must be because it is MIDI connected and the MIDI messages are "echoed" back to it by your DAW/other instrument.

Now, in this situation, it could be useful to know how the S37 reacts to multiple MIDI note messages when in duo mode, i.e. whether it can be controlled via MIDI just as with its own keyboard. The manual should tell this.

benruiz74

Post by benruiz74 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:54 am

I appreciate the reply! Here is a little more detail on my setup:

I have my Subsequent 37 (sub37) connected to Ableton. I turned off my Keys on the Sub 37 in the Local Control settings. I want the sub 37 to act more like a controller in Ableton. When I press a key on the sub 37, it will send the midi note info to Ableton, then it will go back out to the Sub 37 from Ableton. In other words, I am playing a chord on the sub37 keys, which goes to Ableton, through an arpeggiator, then back out as ARP notes to the sub37. This works as expected on the Sub 37 when I am not in DUO mode. I play a chord on the Sub 37 keys which goes to Ableton, then comes back out to the sub 37 as arp notes.

However, when I am in DUO mode, the arp notes are coming from Ableton but I also hear the notes that I am playing on the sub37 keys which is not what I am expecting since the keys are supposed to be OFF.

I have no problems with all of my other hardware synths - I got about 10 other hardware synths. I have been doing this for years without any issues on my other synths.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:38 pm

Well, my only guess is that the Subsequent 37 does not send the MIDI messages the same way when in duo mode. Have you consulted the manual about that?