Sub 37 Editor with MacOS Monterey?

Everything Sub.
redlester

Sub 37 Editor with MacOS Monterey?

Post by redlester » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:46 am

Anyone? I'm still on Big Sur, and don't intend to upgrade for a while, but just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of from anyone who has upgraded from Big Sur?

Also applies to the Sirin editor.

I wish Moog would state supported OS versions on the web site and keep it updated.

Moose Simpathizer

Re: Sub 37 Editor with MacOS Monterey?

Post by Moose Simpathizer » Mon May 23, 2022 2:00 pm

FWIW my experience specifically with Moog's macOS apps has been mèh on Monterey ( M1 machine ). Moog does not seem to be interested in keeping up with macOS.

- editor still does not support retina ( it's been almost 10 years since it's inception )
- firmware auto updater does not work on Monterey ( again M1, just ... crashes - no Universal Binary )
- the sysex firmware update path has failed me 5 times tonight, with different settings
- now my machine is stuck in the 'ready for code' state * sigh *

My experience might hold you off of getting on board with Apple Silicon, though I also want to add that 99% of my apps just work. Using native M1 support or Rosetta ( which you don't notice to be fair ).

Moose Simpathizer

Re: Sub 37 Editor with MacOS Monterey?

Post by Moose Simpathizer » Mon May 23, 2022 4:38 pm

TL;DR: unless there is a new update of the auto-updater firmware tool for the Sub37 it's much, much easier to use an Intel Mac.

Update: had an older Mac waiting patiently, for times like these.

Running High Sierra + the auto updater from Moog for the Sub 37 worked like a charm. It was still scary. The Sub's screen was totally blank after my first attempt because of my previous attempts on Monterey. But it did show up as v1.2.0 in the GUI on High Sierra. So I ran the tool again. Low and behold: an up to date Sub 37 and a working editor ( even on my M1 Mac running Monterey ).

The instrument still sounds as lovely as the first day I brought her home. What a sound.