Mod and pitch wheel getting sticky....

Everything Sub.
zone47

Mod and pitch wheel getting sticky....

Post by zone47 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:31 am

Anyone else have that prob? Mine is a 2012 model so 10 years old now but it's weird. I have a few Nikon cameras with a rubbery grip that is the same way, it's like the rubber gets really gummy with age. :shock:

Other than that, everything is peachy, I've had no probs with it and it's a blast to play! :mrgreen:
Inspiration seems to always come at the start of a session, so always have that tape recorder going! :shock: :!: :shock:

till

Re: Mod and pitch wheel getting sticky....

Post by till » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:08 am

Same here on my SubPhatty. And the side panels are very sticky too. Also also the white keys are now yellow. And although I do own way older synths, non of these got that yellow keys. And the two octave switches are dead. The new Moog got a serious quality problem. I had no such problems with my 1979 Minimoog.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:36 am

The sticky thing is indeed something I avoid now on about everything, instrument or not. A friend's Sennheiser microphone has the same problem. My Little Phatty got sticky too after maybe 8 years, but not as sticky as another friend's SubPhatty got even before that.
Its keys are yellowish too, which is not the case on my old MG1 notron a Satellite I have here. I care about that less than about the sticky wheels though.
I've heard/read about several Sub's octave switch failures, that's a shame. I don't complain about my LP: I had another one before this one plus maybe 3-4 different Slims and the only hardware problem I can report is an encoder that could not "click" anymore.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clearlysurfing

Post by clearlysurfing » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:27 am

I have encountered the same situation. How to solve this problem?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:02 pm

I haven't tried anything myselpf, but the web -including this forum- hosts several experiences/methods.

till

Post by till » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:27 pm

I exchanged the three rotary switches. I ordered them at the distributer for Moog here in Germany. I also ordered a new left hand panel with fresh wheels. And wooden side panels of the Sub25/37 to get rid of the sticky ones.

I exchanged the left hand panel and the side panels my self. No rocket science. But I left the soldering to a way better solder experienced friend.
As the front panel pcb is in two parts, you just need to pull off the knob caps of the left panel half. Notice the little metal things used for some pots (they differ in axis diameter) and the three rotary switches to match them to the knob caps.

This took me one hour and a trip to the solder experienced synth friend. And about 230 € (about the same amount in US$ right now).
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

MrChumley

Post by MrChumley » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:50 pm

zone47 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:31 am Anyone else have that prob? Mine is a 2012 model so 10 years old now but it's weird. I have a few Nikon cameras with a rubbery grip that is the same way, it's like the rubber gets really gummy with age. :shock:

Other than that, everything is peachy, I've had no probs with it and it's a blast to play! :mrgreen:
Anything rubber goes this way after a few years. It's most noticeable on things like TV remotes, torches, umbrella handles or anything else you hold in your hand. Apart from replacing the part in question, the only quick fix is to use rubbing alcohol until you get down to a clean layer. Avoiding UV will probably delay the problem, but ultimately, rubber is not a long-term durable material.

Yellow keys are just down to being plastic - again the only safeguard is probably to avoid UV if possible.