MIDI sync - Arpeggiator problem

Everything Sub.
olejako

MIDI sync - Arpeggiator problem

Post by olejako » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:02 pm

Hi!

I have managed to get the arpeggiator on my sub 37 to sync with logics bpm, but when I try to record an arp with latch mode on, it repeats only one note of the chord I am arpeggiating. All notes arpeggiates when im holding down a chord, however, when im releasing the keys in latch mode, it just repeats one note of the chord.

My setup is: Sub37 audio out > channel 1 input (Rubix44). I have a midi cable going from Rubix44 midi out > Sub37 midi in, and a second midi cable going from my Sub37 midi out > rubix44 midi in. I have also tried to connect the sub37 to my computer with USB cable, but the problem still persists.

In logics midi clock destination 1, I have only this option > (Rubix44)
For the (mode:) I have tried to set it to both "Song - SPP at Play Start and Stop/SPP/Continue at Cycle Jump" as well as "Pattern - Quantized clock start based on pattern length"

In the Sub37´s internal MIDI MENU, I have "in channel" set to 1, and "out channel" set to 1. In the Sub37´s internal clock options I have "send clock" set to "ARP" (I also have the option to turn it off or on), and I have "send st/stp" set to on, and "Follow spp" set to on.

I would greatly appreciate your help if you have any ideas on how to solve this :)

RobustAmerican

Re: MIDI sync - Arpeggiator problem

Post by RobustAmerican » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:47 pm

Latch is working as expected here. Even tried changing a few global settings to see if I could reproduce what's happening with yours, but latch just kept working normally. I would disconnect the midi and usb cables and try it again with just the S37 in the equation. This should help narrow down the cause. If it works as expected while being disconnected then it's probably a logic midi setting. (Midi Loop) If it still drops to just one note when the keys are released then it's most likely a S37 setting.

Hope you get it sorted. My money is on it being a midi loop.

briandash

Re: MIDI sync - Arpeggiator problem

Post by briandash » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:01 pm

Hi, I'm having this exact problem and I finally figured out what's going on.

Quick solution to the problem: Go into the Global menu page 2, select "Seq Options" then go to "MIDI Output" and change it from SEQ to Keys.

The problem is that the Sub 37 by default is outputting the MIDI data from the ARP/Sequencer. So when you hold down a key on the Moog it sounds normal, but when you playback a MIDI region with the same note held down, the Moog starts spitting all that MIDI data back into your DAW which cancels out the note being sent by the region.

If you want to record the MIDI from an ARP or Sequence you have to switch the setting back to SEQ. But then if you try to play back the region with the arpeggiated midi and the ARP is still on on the Moog, then you run into the same problem of notes canceling each other out.

Side note: Since you're using the Sub 37 as an external instrument, another setting I found useful is turning off local control for the keyboard. (Global Menu > Local Control > Keys: OFF) This allows you to use the Sub 37's keyboard as if it's a separate MIDI controller so you can use it to play other soft synths or external midi tracks.