Subsequent 25 same sound as minitaur?

Everything Sub.
Jaycee_NL

Subsequent 25 same sound as minitaur?

Post by Jaycee_NL » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:17 am

Hello, I need a new synth for warm & raw bass sounds. I do know that the Minitaur can produce the sounds that I need. Also I do know the Subsequent 37 cannot produce the bass sounds that I need. (At least: I cannot :D )

Main question is: can the Subsequent 25 produce the same bass sounds as the minitaur?
Because some more features such as a keyboard would be nice.
Thnx!

stiiiiiiive

Re: Subsequent 25 same sound as minitaur?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:29 am

Hi Jaycee_NL, welcome to the forum!

Here is what I can say, which is not a straight yes-no answer but just my experience.

I have never tried a Minitaur/Taurus but know the sound. I've tried a Sub37 once and was disappointed. I've been using used a Little Phatty for 11 years now, and have used SubPhatty on a regular basis for some years too. I've tried a Subsequent 25 too.

What I know:
- The Sub25 sounds just as a SubPhatty, let's say 95%
- On the SubPhatty and the Sub25 (and maybe others Moogs), remember that mixing the oscillators below noon will allow not to squash the sound and stay in something more "vintagey".
- The Little Phatty is way more rock'n'roll than the Subs, especially thans to its Overload.
- From what I've read many times, the Little/Slim Phatty will satisfy 95% (again :D ) of the bass addicts, including some Minitaur users.

Now... whether another given Moog synh will satisfy you as a bass addict is really difficult to say. It comes down to you *precise* expectations and how you program your patches.

I suggest (second cliché alert...) that you try before pulling the trigger. Use your own headphones.
I'm curious to know your path in this quest :)

Jaycee_NL

Post by Jaycee_NL » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:31 am

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I just placed an online order for a Subsequent 25. Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to try one not too from where I live. But with the information that I found here, on YouTube and on other sites I am certain enough that the Subsequent 25 can do what I need. I do not need the possibilities of the 37 such as sequencer or arpeggiator. I mainly need a good bass sound.

And although I do know that the Minitaur for sure can make the sound I need, I do like the few extras of the 25 such as controls and keyboard. It will arrive Februari 18 (because I also ordered some other things that were not in stock). If the 25 unexpectedly does not do the job that I need, I will buy a minitaur.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:50 pm

Yeah, congrats on your purchase :)

Actually, the short version of my answer above is: if you need bass, almost any Moog will do the job, unless you have already several of them and are very demanding orpicky -no offense meant to anyone.

Please report your impressions when you get to put your hands on it.

Jaycee_NL

Post by Jaycee_NL » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:58 pm

Well, after a delay in delivery the Subsequent 25 arrived yesterday. What I can tell now: I am very happy with the sound. The main reason to buy it was for dirty underground (house/techno) bass sound. And it is really excellent for this.

The editor software contained some presets that can be used right away and also making own sound is pretty easy. What also helps a lot: in the editor I can see the settings of each of the parameters of the presets? So a good preset tells a lot about waveforms, LFO settings, envelope settings etc for the kind of sounds that I like..

Since several years I used a virtual analog synth, but in all those years I was literally never able to get the kind of bass that I want.Also not in the presets, every sound was simply too “cold”. The subsequent 25 is all I ever needed. Also I like the small keyboard and the few extra knobs compared to the Minitaur.