Arp will not work unless sequencer is playing.

Everything Sub.
Modular1

Arp will not work unless sequencer is playing.

Post by Modular1 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:58 am

I have tried a few different sequencers over the past few years trying to find the one that works best for me. In doing so I have come to notice that some send midi clock when stopped (Bitwig, Maschine, Cirklon) and some do not send midi clock when stopped (Ableton and Logic).

We all probably know that when our hardware synths are set to receive external midi clock (as slaves) unless a clock is present, patches with arpeggiators and clocked LFOs may not play when you hit the keys (as expected).

I know this effects a lot of synths but the Sub37 is behaving differently to my other synths and I'm wondering if it's a setting somewhere because it's annoying.

When using Ableton and Logic (no clock on stop) none of my synths play on stop. As expected. Highly annoying if just want to play around you have to have the DAW actually playing for your synths to run.

When using Bitwig, Maschine or Cirklon as long as the DAW/hardware is running/switched on (it doesn't have to be playing) all my arpeggiator synths work fine apart from the Sub37 which behaves like there is no clock present. Same behaviour using usb as the midi port.

Is it possible to get the sub37 to behave nicely like my other synths? Is it just the Sub37 that does this or all Moogs?

For what its worth, in my experimenting with lots of different DAWs in the last 3 years, timing is rock solid in Bitwig, Maschine and Cirklon. I have had various timing issues with both Logic and Ableton. If you love your Sub37 but are sick of timing issues and are not massively attached to your current DAW, give Bitwig a try. It would definitely be my goto if I needed a DAW for midi. It's solid and getting better with every release. :idea: