Unreliable ARP Sync In Ableton, External Fix?

Everything Sub.
SpencerG

Unreliable ARP Sync In Ableton, External Fix?

Post by SpencerG » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:39 pm

I've had my Subsequent 37 for a few years now, and I love the sound of it. However, It usually ends up neglected because of the horrible ARP sync problems with Ableton. I finally decided I need to tackle this, as I consider getting a Matriarch.

I understand the in's and out's (pun intended) of proper routing. I know that I can achieve 0 latency by monitoring through my Apollo x4, but I usually can't properly design a part without hearing how it will sound with sidechain and FX. I'm assuming the problem is Ableton's fault; similar to how LFOtool drags out of time in large projects.

For those who aren't familiar; syncing the Sub37 ARP to Ableton through USB causes an additional latency between the initial midi trigger, and the timing of the LFO's or ARP. (Sometimes upwards of 300ms in large projects.) The amount depends on how many latency inducing plugins you have, and other ambiguous factors. This means not only is your track super late, but the initial envelope transient always sounds out of time with the LFO on any arpeggio patch. It also causes other weird bugs; such as midi clips refusing to play at certain points, and automation being out of sync with your midi.

I can tweak midi clock delay and hardware latency to at least get the track on time, but these need to be changed every time I add another latency inducing plugin to the project.

My question is; has anyone had any success using external midi devices such as the USAMO, or E-RM Multiclock? Would something like this fix these problems?

Thanks