Noisy pots (not cut off)

Everything Sub.
NYK

Noisy pots (not cut off)

Post by NYK » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:46 pm

I noticed this evening that both the fdbk/ext in and the eg amt are a bit (electrically) noisy when turned. A slight inward pressure on the knobs and they’re OK. I’m guessing that some pot cleaner/lubricant spray would sort them out. I’m a bit reluctant to dive in and start ripping things apart and have two or three questions.
1. Has anyone else had similar problems and intervened?
2. Are the pots of a design where there are holes/slots that one can direct a spray at the tracks?
3. Having seen a YouTube video of someone opening up a Sub 37, I notice that the pots are not accessible without taking a board off, how difficult is this.

I’m in the U.K., in covid lockdown and so can’t take the unit anywhere to get it looked at.

bichuelo

Re: Noisy pots (not cut off)

Post by bichuelo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:25 pm

NYK wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:46 pm A slight inward pressure on the knobs and they’re OK.
I wouldn't recommend doing this, it might damage the board. If you are able to check with a MIDI monitor and the controls indeed are malfunctioning, your best bet is to replace them. In the meantime yes, you can try to clean them. But if you have some soldering skills and can get the original parts, that would definitely be the best fix
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra